PDA

View Full Version : ebay scam trick

mike hanyi
04-09-2007, 03:04 PM
wow , my first post in the bilge

here is a sweetie, In your email is one of those "im waiting for the item you sold me" from a so called fellow ebay member.
you know it is bull**** but you are curious to learn more, you click any part of the message like contact, feedback, item or whatever, it leades you to a fake log-in. Even if you type in something smart like user-blow, password -me it will open your ebay account if you forgot to log out earlier- Im not sure if they get your actual info this way but I think I will just delete instead of playing smart ass to the hackers.

mike

Chris Coose
04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
ebay, paypal, Washington Mutual bank, the FBI and the CIA, the missing relative from England who has the billion dollar inheratance waiting for you, the guy in Italy who wants to send you 10,000 more dollars than you are asking for the ****ty Honda you have for sale on e-bay for 300, ........ ad infinitum.
Delete everything. Get a vicious spam filter and dump everything daily. Don't even look at what you are dumping because if something is that important the party will get you in another way.

Treat e-mail like a Jehova Witness at the door.
Treat e-mail as a second class communicating device.
Treat e-mail as a dirty whore who is plagued with a deadly virus.

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
Sometimes they are clever enough that it looks like it might be an email I need to look at (not often, I don't fall for the banking scams), but if I am at ALL suspect, I open it at the library. They have pretty good security. I was more worried about viruses infecting my own computer, but what you are talking about is even more serious. Thanks. By the way, for reasons like this, I never save passwords or login IDs even on my own computer. You should also go to the "autocomplete" area in control panel/internet options/content/autocomplete and uncheck "user names and passwords on forms" then clear forms and clear passwords in the same window.

mister_moon
04-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Someone hacked my ebay account a couple of months ago, I have no idea how. I'm pretty savvy to the various phishing schemes going about, but somehow someone got my login. The promptly put up about 100 pirated DVD's on one day listings. Ebay caught it in less than 90 minutes and had the listings pulled and my account frozen. They were remarkably helpful in restoring my account using their on-line chat function. The chat representative called me and we had it all set to right in just a few minutes.

Moral of the story: be careful.

Bruce Hooke
04-09-2007, 04:25 PM
I can't think of a way that such a scam site could pick up your login and password just because you got forwarded to a logged in eBay account. That said, it is better to be safe than sorry!

Chris's approach of when it doubt, delete, is not quite so viable if email is important to the way you make a living, but being careful with spam certainly is the best approach.

It is annoying how much spam I get these days. I'm now getting over 100 spam messages a day.

paladin
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
I just wished I understood how this blacklisting thingy works.....I thought if you put someone under the blacklist it wouldn't allow messages to be posted.....:confused: