PDA

View Full Version : Answer for Bob Adams

oakman
04-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Bob

Started a new thread because you asked a loaded question. . . why "easter"

There are better history buffs here than myself but from what I understand when the emperor Constantine declared the Roman Empire to be Christian they set about making all the pagan holidays Christian. Hence Christmas, Easter, etc. . .

The Resurection of Jesus took place on Passover, the exact time of the year that the children of Abraham were released from bondage under Egypt and the event for which Passover is a remembrance. The Easter bunny and eggs are symbols of fertility and because the pagans celebrated fertility in the spring, those festivities were married with the rememberance of Passover, and "Easter" as we know it was born.

From the Online Etymology Dictionary http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=easter&searchmode=none

Easter: O.E. (Northumbrian Eostre), from P.Gmc. *Austron, a goddess of fertility and sunrise whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox, from *austra-, from PIE*aus- "to shine" ( especially fo the dawn). Bede says Anglo-Saxon Christians adopeted her name and many of the celebratory practices for their Mass of Christ's ressurrection. Ultimately related to east. Almost all neighboring languagges use a variant of L. Pasche to name this holiday.

So if you want the real meaning of remembering the ressurection check out the meaning for the slaves when they were freed and left egypt with all its riches. That's what Jesus did for us in the resurrection, set us free from sin.

Bob Adams
04-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Thank you. My minister always invites questions after his sermon, and to his credit, he does not bluff if he dosen't know an answer. Hey, nobody knows everything. I kinda thought we might have borrowed the name, I just had no idea from whom.

oakman
04-09-2007, 06:48 AM
Bob

You're welcome, interesting that no one else has anything to say.