PDA

View Full Version : Easter Eggs

Hwyl
04-07-2007, 03:53 PM
One of the things I'm most surprised at, as an immigrant to America, is that Easter Eggs here are so small. Easter eggs in Britain are generally about 6" in diameter and hollow, with the appropriate chocolates inside. Richer kids had bigger eggs.

I remember we used to visit Woolworths to stare at the (to my eyes) HUGE Easter egg on display, I'm going to guess it was probably about 3 to 4 feet high, we were always told that it was delivered to the children's ward of the local hospital and distributed there at Easter. Easter Eggs were a big deal for kids.
I buy my kids the big eggs from the import store, but I always feel (irrationally) sorry for the American kids who have to make do with puny eggs.

bamamick
04-07-2007, 04:47 PM
of my grandparents was the annual Easter Egg hunt at their house with the eggs hidden among the blooming azaleas. Since we did not go to church that hunt became locked into my mind as what Easter was all about.

I celebrate a very different kind of Easter now, but I still love those memories of searching through the monkey grass with my little sister and then sitting down (very straight in my chair, and of course, silent as a lamb) and having the Easter supper of glazed ham and everything that went with it.

In my wife's family, Holy Week is observed from Palm Sunday onward and the Easter Day celebration after church is one of the most fun times of the year. It is a day when the family will sit together, talking and laughing, or just sitting and remembering, but sharing their love for one another like at no other time of the year. Something not to be missed, and here I sit in my office at work, while my kids are strewn all about the state doing their own thing. Makes me very, very sad, at a time when as a Christian I should be rejoicing.

Ah well, we have to do what we have to do. I wish everyone here the very best of Easters. God bless and keep you all.

Mickey Lake

elf
04-07-2007, 05:17 PM
When I was a kid my father came home from his job at the cathedral on Palm Sunday bearing a palm, and on Easter Sunday bearing a 5" dark-chocolate covered coconut cream egg, decorated with hard sugar icing piped around it and across the top in squiggles. The monsignior aways sent one home for me because the church gave them out to all the children and he thought I should have one too, even though I was never there.

About 15 years ago the company that made those eggs either went out of business or stopped doing business with companies in New England, because i cannot find them anywhere.

I keep wishing I could and then I recall the last time I did buy one and how impossible it was to keep it fresh while I picked away at it. It was so sweet and cloying that I could not finish it off at all.

i wonder, was it like that when I was a little girl, too?