PDA

View Full Version : Where is Jesus right now?

ishmael
04-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't mean literally, but in the myth, on this holiest of Christian remembrances. Crucified yesterday, and we all know what happens tomorrow, but where is he today? Not being facetious, just curious. Isn't part of the myth that he descended into hell between the crucifixion and the resurrection? My Christian mythology is more than a little fuzzy on this point.

And please, I mean no disrespect to our believers. I'd genuinely like to hear the story.

Leon m
04-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Wherever you go, there he is :)

Tommy Bonds
04-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Jesus just left chicago and hes bound for new orleans.
Well now, jesus just left chicago and hes bound for new orleans.
Yeah, yeah.
Workin from one end to the other and all points in between.

Took a jump through mississippi, well, muddy water turned to wine.
Took a jump through mississippi, muddy water turned to wine.
Yeah, yeah.
Then out to california through the forests and the pines.
Ah, take me with you, jesus.

You might not see him in person but hell se you just the same.
You might not see him in person but hell se you just the same.
Yeah, yeah.
You dont have to worry cause takin care of business is his name.

Hwyl
04-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Don't the Catholics believe in Purgatory http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory

From my heavy duty protestant childhood, I seem to remember that today was supposed to be a sort of dour zombie zone, when you knew Christ was dead, but was not sure he'd be resurrected. That did not fit in to the general festivities, at Easter in northern Europe (because the weather was generally better by then).

My uncle always planted his potatoes on Good Friday as probably, did generations before him. We'd often be busy with boat stuff (very big tides at Easter).

Bob Cleek
04-07-2007, 03:47 PM
It's a phrase that suffers from the difficulty of its translation... and so it causes a lot of discussion. Generally, the "party line" is as follows:

The frequent New Testament affirmations that Jesus was "raised from the dead" presuppose that the crucified one sojourned in the realm of the dead prior to his resurrection. This was the first meaning given in the apostolic preaching to Christ's descent into hell: that Jesus, like all men, experienced death and in his soul joined the others in the realm of the dead. But he descended there as Savior, proclaiming the Good News to the spirits imprisoned there.

Scripture calls the abode of the dead, to which the dead Christ went down, "hell" - Sheol in Hebrew or Hades in Greek - because those who are there are deprived of the vision of God. Such is the case for all the dead, whether evil or righteous, while they await the Redeemer: which does not mean that their lot is identical, as Jesus shows through the parable of the poor man Lazarus who was received into "Abraham's bosom": "It is precisely these holy souls, who awaited their Savior in Abraham's bosom, whom Christ the Lord delivered when he descended into hell." Jesus did not descend into hell to deliver the damned, nor to destroy the hell of damnation, but to free the just who had gone before him.

"The gospel was preached even to the dead." The descent into hell brings the Gospel message of salvation to complete fulfilment. This is the last phase of Jesus' messianic mission, a phase which is condensed in time but vast in its real significance: the spread of Christ's redemptive work to all men of all times and all places, for all who are saved have been made sharers in the redemption.

Christ went down into the depths of death so that "the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live." Jesus, "the Author of life", by dying destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage." Henceforth the risen Christ holds "the keys of Death and Hades", so that "at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth."

Or at least that's what they say....

HAPPY EASTER, ISH!

stumpbumper
04-07-2007, 04:03 PM
The Apostle's Creed

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Creator of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.

He descended into hell.

The third day He arose again from the dead.

He ascended into heaven
and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty,
whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy *catholic church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and life everlasting.

Amen.

bamamick
04-07-2007, 04:38 PM
use. Ours makes no reference to a descent into Hell.

Thanks for that post, Bob.

Mickey Lake

Tylerdurden
04-07-2007, 04:41 PM
For all the crap flung around about Jesus I don't see many living in his shadow.
I got a feeling if he was here right now, He would be forming up with the brothers to toss the money changers out.

JimD
04-07-2007, 04:42 PM
He's in our ktchen making a sandwich. No, wait a minute. That's just my brother in law.

ishmael
04-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks, Bob. Not sure where that is in scripture, but it's interesting.

I just got off the phone with my oldest friend. We go back to elementary school, and I call him occasionally. He works in nursing home administration. Our conversations about faith, and Jesus, have been far ranging over the years. Both our faiths have been moved by our conversations. What more can you ask of a friend?

In this pause between the last supper and the resurrection it's important to give reverence. I don't believe the two tenants of Christianity: That Jesus was the only son, and that his death magically redeemed us all. But I do respect it as the truth.

"I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I contain multitudes."

WW

Nanoose
04-07-2007, 09:09 PM
So which Jesus are you referring to, then? The name was as common as "Tom, Dick and Harry" in his time, so if you're not meaning "the only son (who's) death...redeemed us", i.e. Jesus Christ, which Jesus are you referring to?

The only one involved in Easter is Jesus Christ, and you're thinking of someone else, so I don't get this question...

Mrleft8
04-07-2007, 09:18 PM
I swear he's in "THE PUB" drinking a Sam Adams Boston lager.....

Nanoose
04-07-2007, 11:44 PM
I swear he's in "THE PUB" drinking a Sam Adams Boston lager.....

Who? Ish? :D

George Jung
04-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Where is Jesus right now?

That's easy; He is Risen!

Mrleft8
04-08-2007, 08:49 AM
Wish I could get my bread to do that....

Nanoose
04-08-2007, 09:03 AM
spew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! coffee 'n all!........................

huisjen
04-08-2007, 10:24 AM
The Minutemen caught him. They figgered that with a name like Hay-Zeus he mus be a Messican, so they roughed him up and turned him over to the INS.

Dan

LeeG
04-08-2007, 10:46 AM
I hear he's on a slice of toast

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
04-09-2007, 12:52 AM
http://www.campusterrassa.upc.es/associacions/gbu/images/jesus.jpg

look up, there he is.

Harry Miller
04-09-2007, 08:12 AM
According to Zach Johnson Jesus was with him all day helping him stave off Tiger Woods. Zach should let him wear the "green jacket" at least part of the time.

JimD
04-09-2007, 08:19 AM
According to Zach Johnson Jesus was with him all day helping him stave off Tiger Woods. Zach should let him wear the "green jacket" at least part of the time.

That's odd. I was watching boxing on tv and the guy who won the fight was thanking Jesus for helping him beat the other guy senseless. Someone's not telling the truth here unless Jesus was in two places at once.

Paul Girouard
04-09-2007, 08:36 AM
That's odd. I was watching boxing on tv and the guy who won the fight was thanking Jesus for helping him beat the other guy senseless. Someone's not telling the truth here unless Jesus was in two places at once.

Harry I wonder if anyone would mention Zach's statement, and Jim he's everywhere all at once and nowhere if you never ask. It's a God like thing :cool: , I asked a question on Claudia happy Easter thread I was surprised no one picked up on it . But seeing I've developed Tar Devils invisibility I should have figgered that out , no one see's my post:(

Vince Brennan
04-09-2007, 08:39 AM

See the Parallel Universes thread.

Yesterday I was at our local diner being wished "Happy Easter" by all and sundry. When the young lady who owns the place came by and did the same, I cast my eyes upward and implored, "Please, God, where can I find another real Athiest like me?"

She and the couple in the next booth nearly died laughing.

My friend, Mike, had to have it explained to him by his wife.

Ah, well.

Paul Girouard
04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
, "Please, God, where can I find another real Athiest like me?"

Ah, well.

Good one Vince ;) :D

JimD
04-09-2007, 09:15 AM
...My friend, Mike, had to have it explained to him by his wife...

It's possible some people need Jesus more than others.

JimD
04-09-2007, 09:24 AM
... But seeing I've developed Tar Devils invisibility I should have figgered that out , no one see's my post:(

It's just not fair, is it, Paul? I mean Joe throws a hissy fit and quits the forum because not everyone here adores him and gets two pages of sympathy for it and here you offer up one keen observation after another and don't even get noticed. :p :D

KNOCKABOUT
04-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Wherever you go, there he is :)

So my Mother-in-law is Jesus?!

Kaa
04-09-2007, 01:12 PM
http://www.catholicsupply.com/christmas/_borders/3000162.jpg

:D

Kaa

Leon m
04-09-2007, 01:21 PM
So my Mother-in-law is Jesus?!

Does she say she loves you , then passes judgment upon you ??? ;)

Vince Brennan
04-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Who? Paul? Paul who?

SamSam
04-09-2007, 07:38 PM

That reminds me of Bob Dylans tune... Who killed Davey Moore? Why and what's the reason for? Not I, said the man whose fists, Laid him low in a bloody mist. I hit em, I hit em, yes it's true, But that's what I'm paid to do. Don't say murder, don't say kill, It was destiny, it was God's will.

Paul Girouard
04-09-2007, 08:31 PM
It's just not fair, is it, Paul? I mean Joe throws a hissy fit and quits the forum because not everyone here adores him and gets two pages of sympathy for it and here you offer up one keen observation after another and don't even get noticed. :p :D

Ya your right ,it ain't fair :mad: :mad: that bald headed freak gets all the weaked kneed sympathy from you guys and Ester & I get dumped on or ignored :D Why I oughta , I oughta :mad: go on a hunger strike or some other dumb asre , freak show , say I'm gonna quit , cry in my beer, weak suck , pasty asred , whinein east coast , cry baby April fools joke , :confused: for real :rolleyes: rant !:D

I must only be semi-invisible if you noticed those keen observation ;)

Don't make me do it :rolleyes:

capt jake
04-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Do what?..... You say something? ;) :D

Paul Girouard
04-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Do what?..... You say something? ;) :D

Nah :D Just ramblin :p

Bob (oh, THAT Bob)
04-10-2007, 01:23 AM
From the movie Major League (and Pedro pronounces it Hayzoos):

Pedro: (placing rum in front of an icon of Jobu) Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.
Eddie: You know you might think about taking Jesus Christ as your savior instead of fooling around with all this stuff.
Jake: Harris.
Pedro: Ah, Jesus, I like him very much, but he no help with curveball.
Eddie: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

JimD
04-10-2007, 06:45 AM
That reminds me of Bob Dylans tune... Who killed Davey Moore? Why and what's the reason for? Not I, said the man whose fists, Laid him low in a bloody mist. I hit em, I hit em, yes it's true, But that's what I'm paid to do. Don't say murder, don't say kill, It was destiny, it was God's will.

Sugar Ramos killed him in a March, 1963 bout. There was another boxer named Davey Moore who campaigned in the '80s. He is best remembered as being thumbed badly in the eye by Roberto Duran. Duran got away with it and won the fight and Moore's title along with it. The latter Moore also died young but it was in a freak car accident, not from a fight, as I recall.

Paul Girouard
04-10-2007, 08:21 AM
Eddie: You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?

I'm pretty sure Jesus can hit a curve ball , heck I've even heard he can pure a one iron , and no one not even Tiger or Jack can hit a one iron. :D