PDA

View Full Version : One month to

S.V. Airlie
04-06-2007, 01:09 PM
go.. and then I'm free... no diversions, no back stabbing... I'll miss the forum but at the sametime.. I'm free.
There are a lot of good things on the forums, including the bilge but when one takes the bilge further and attempts to destroy someone else, well, I don't really need that.. No one does.
Something has been lost and it is not just the usual ribbing...

Mrleft8
04-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I thought you had WiFi........

paladin
04-06-2007, 01:25 PM
naw, Jamie..ya need a SSB......;)

S.V. Airlie
04-06-2007, 01:27 PM
SSB.. thought about that but.. umm not yet.. It makes sense down the road.. financially and otherwise. From what I gather though, the lic. is a lot easier to ge than it used to be Chuck.

paladin
04-06-2007, 01:57 PM
I can getcha a book to study to pass the exam....no code anymore....and the maritime mobile net operates at 14.313 mhz, and on Sundays at 1900 zulu the south east asia net comes on line to pass info/traffic from boat to boat all around the world.....thats 1900 zulu in hong kong or singapore, the net control station passes around.......

paladin
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
...and just a thought.......I have the Sideband Engineers radio transceiver that I used on the second circumnavigation.....totally reconditioned like new, and I have a modern, new automatic antenna coupler....only needs a power cable and a new microphone.....
Getcher license and I'll souvineeeer it to ya......:D...and it will come with a weather downlink modem and a 300 baud/1200 baud computer modem...still in the original box.......all better'n a poke in the eye with a sharp stick...

Chris Coose
04-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Why wait a month to set yourself free?
I don't get it.

In the scale of bondage or imprisonment, an inability to remove oneself from this place due to somebody else's bad fortune doesn't add up to be a big decision/activity.

Man, I come across people who are chained and powerless to a degree that is near death or fatal every day. Freedom for most of us can be a simple step in a different direction.
Pure liberation can be made in the chair you are sitting in.

bamamick
04-06-2007, 08:18 PM
I really am.

Mickey Lake

Robbie
04-06-2007, 09:48 PM
Me too

Memphis Mike
04-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Me three......... but I got his cell phone number!:D

bamamick
04-07-2007, 02:37 AM
He'll be living aboard 'Airlie', having adventures and not caring a whit for his old friends left hanging about this old place. Ah well. Everyone leaves sometime. I can think of few better ways to do it than the way our Jamie is like to do.

Mickey Lake

S.V. Airlie
04-07-2007, 07:32 AM
As most of you know.. When I am on the boat, well Uncas in the past, I did kinda disappear. Nit entirely but there were weeks that I did not check in. It's what happens when I'm on the boat. Not that I don't care but there are other things to do.. and plugging in a puter is not one of them. At least not often.
So, as I have in the past.. I'll be off..Not Uncas but Airlie... an as I will be living aboard well, stands to reason.
Now if I go to a fancy coffee shop say in Annapolis or where ever with my lap top, and hook into WiFi over a latte' well....:D

Donn, most of the time you are one who just doesn't have anything nice to say about anyone or anything.. (Trying to be nice here) And then, once in a rare while, you can actually be a nice guy.. You really should check into the mood swings.

S.V. Airlie
04-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Norman.. not sure whether I really want that.
Chuck ( paladin ) arer presently arguing about a side band... It is coming down to native american vs.. a scot.

paladin
04-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Norman...yes...but as I recall, unless things have changed...the Tech class is for 50 megahertz and above....however.....since the removal of the code portion of the test, and considering that the general class and tech class had the same written exam, it may be possible to upgrade without the code. I'm a little behind on that part 'cause I've had my license for 50 years last month.....

and.....Jamie.....if you send me the information as to the make and model number of your cell phone, I can purchase or make an adapter cable to fit a small amplifier that I have that you can install in the boat. It will give you the same power capability of a full powered mobile telephone, and Cecil can install the antenna and cable at the top of one of your masts......using this thing it is possible to keep telephone contact with the U.S. Florida coast and/or Bermuda on the run out under good weather conditions and for near coastal work. I use the amps as the final amplifier stage in the cell jammers.

Hwyl
04-07-2007, 11:18 AM
Lots of stuff in this thread.
1) Chuck, you're amazing
2)I'm not a fan of SSB, but I do sometimes listen to Herb. http://www3.sympatico.ca/hehilgen/vax498.htm , I'm sure Chuck knows him and probably set up his system.
3) Much as it pains me; I agree with Donn, you spend too much time on here Jamie (as I do), more than 3,000 posts in your present incarnation. Almost a 1000 a month not taking into account your trip to Nova Scotia.
4)Another vote for the sat phone, if you don't take up Chucks offer on the cell phone amplifier.

S.V. Airlie
04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
Gareth.. I ain't gonna disagree but as Airl;ie is 1600 miles away.. and there really isn't much I can do from here on the boat..It is not as though I can run down every day to check and putter.Believe me, I would like to... And as all I am doing is packing, organizing, etc.. I do spend time here.
Now when you are away, you don't post as is my norm when I am away.
So, yes, the forum is here.. just a click away.
Now if you have a sufggestion, not being in NS, what else there is to do... except pack, organized, sell stuff, clean out the house.. I'd like to know.
Oh read books.. up.. do that.. five this week.

Hwyl
04-07-2007, 11:33 AM
Last year you said you were planning (maybe even commissioned) to write a book.

You could take all of Chucks "Saturday morning" posts and edit them into a book.

paladin
04-07-2007, 04:47 PM
Gareth..I know of Herb and his fine work.....had nothing to do with his equipment...although I have donated similar equipment in different parts of the world......
Jamie.....how tall are the masts on Airlie, and is it possible to pull a couple of new cables in them?

paladin
04-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I was on 6 meters the night sputnik was launched...my contact in Mexico City asked if I was monitoring WWV...I replied "no" and he told me to slide up 5 khz......and there it was...beeping away.....before the U.S. knew it was launched...

S.V. Airlie
04-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Gareth..I was not commissioned for a book.. I am actually writing one but it is boat related... Hence, not in a locale where I could actually work on it... Perhaps besides the point.
It takes a lot of time to write one as you can guess. Havng already co-authored one, I know...I have a month..Not enough time really to work on it and half of my stuff is on a laptop which is not here.. it is hiding in Nova Scotia.

And.. Chuck's writing doesn't need an editor. It is classy in its own right. A style that should not be messed with...:D