PDA

View Full Version : snow tonight...maybe

Phillip Allen
04-05-2007, 06:32 PM
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Springdale&state=AR&site=tsa

This is Arkansas!

Memphis Mike
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
I saw that on the weather. Cold as hell here too. Nice thing .......that Global Warming, eh?

Everything is off kilter.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2007, 06:37 PM
I'll check for mastadon tracks in the morning...

JDD
04-05-2007, 06:49 PM
I think weather is just being itself.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/meg/snowrecs.html

Snowfall Records in Memphis

Maximum in 24 Hours 18.0 inches March 16-17, 1892

Maximum in 1 Storm 18.5 inches March 16-17, 1892

Maximum in 1 Month 18.5 inches March 1892

Maximum in 1 Season 25.1 inches 1917-1918

Maximum Depth 14.0 inches December 22, 1963

Earliest Trace of Snow Trace October 19, 1989

Earliest Measurable Snow 0.2 inch November 2, 1951

Earliest 1 inch or more 1.2 inches November 14, 1976

Latest Trace of Snow Trace April 25, 1910

Latest Measurable Snow 0.3 inch March 30, 1906

0.4 inch March 30, 1987

Latest 1 inch or more 1.0 inch March 29, 1894

March 29, 1991

Florida will have 60 degrees this weekend.

Paul Pless
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
I saw that on the weather. Cold as hell here too. Nice thing .......that Global Warming, eh?

Everything is off kilter.

yeah I'm looking forward the predicted overlt active huricane season...

we need the rain

Memphis Mike
04-05-2007, 06:51 PM
When everyone's kids and grandkids are wearing gas masks just to inhabit this planet, we're going to be looking down and thinking "what the f#%k did we do."

I take that back. Some are going to be looking up.......between screams.......like GW and Dick Cheeeeeeny and High C.......LOL.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Mike..."we" are not guilty...the pendulum is...all our best samples are too small...as far as man's speed of intellect goes, I quote from the either of intellectual correctness: "Unsafe at any speed"

Krakatoa released more greenhouse gases in one month than man has ever done in years...

Bruce Hooke
04-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Krakatoa released more greenhouse gases in one month than man has ever done in years...

Thank God (assuming this statistic is actually right). If man was releasing as much gas as Kratatoa on a regular basis then we would have screwed up the climate even worse than we already are. Unfortunately (or fortunately) Kratatoa's influence on the climate was relatively short term because of the nature of the release. The same is not as true of man's releases. In other words the comparison with Kratatoa is basically irrelevant

Paul Pless
04-05-2007, 07:11 PM
In other words the comparison with Kratatoa is basically irrelevant

Irrelevant? or inconvenient?

Memphis Mike
04-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks Bruce.:) There will always be people trying to play this down...for the life of me I have no idea why.:confused:

Well, yes I do. It's money.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Are you kidding Mike...I ain't gitin no money...I just kaint stand the chicken littles and those who make money off them by fanning the flames of apocalyptic fear...

Bruce Hooke
04-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Irrelevant? or inconvenient?

Irrelevant.

"Inconvenient" would apply more to the people who find it inconvenient to be told that for the sake of the next generation, they might need to change their lifestyle a bit.

Phillip Allen
04-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Bruce, I'm a pragmatist and I KNOW better than to think all this running around with our arms over our heads is gonna be anything than the equivilant of a bearded guy walking around with a sandwich board on proclaiming the "End is Near"

Our grand children will think us fools alright, but for different reasons than proclaimed by the people now making their livings off of grant writing...!!!

Mrleft8
04-05-2007, 08:57 PM
I had leftover icecream cake my sister made for my birthday for dessert tonight.....

Bruce Hooke
04-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Bruce, I'm a pragmatist and I KNOW better than to think all this running around with our arms over our heads is gonna be anything than the equivilant of a bearded guy walking around with a sandwich board on proclaiming the "End is Near"

Our grand children will think us fools alright, but for different reasons than proclaimed by the people now making their livings off of grant writing...!!!

You sound like the medical doctors who up until the mid-80's thought that cholesterol was not a big issue with regard to heart disease. The evidence finally become so overwhelming that had to concede that it was indeed a critical factor. There are a few holdouts like you on the global warming debate, but the tide is turning as the vast majority of people realize that it is real. The recent Supreme Court decision, but a relatively conservative court, in part meant that the Supreme Court believes human-caused global warming is indeed a real problem.

Some warnings about future problems are indeed hysteria. Some are valid and serve to induce people to make changes that prevent the problem from happening, and unfortunately some warnings are not heeded until it is too late. Take cod on the Grand Banks. Lots of warnings, lots of people saying it was just hysteria, and in the end, not enough action so the cod stocks collapsed.

Phillip Allen
04-06-2007, 06:07 AM
The reason the cholesterol comparison won't work is that the cyclical rate is one generaction compared to the million year rate for the heating and cooling of earth's surface...pick a better one.

Mrleft8
04-06-2007, 08:17 AM
If I keep eating icecream cake, pretty soon there won't be any more icecream cake...

Bruce Hooke
04-06-2007, 10:23 AM
The reason the cholesterol comparison won't work is that the cyclical rate is one generaction compared to the million year rate for the heating and cooling of earth's surface...pick a better one.

Million year rate! Have you even looked at the changes the global climate has undergone in the last 100 years?

There is no point in going further with this discussion. I am quite certain now that there is no conceivable evidence that would change your mind. Fortunately, most people do seem to be convinced that it is an issue.

Phillip Allen
04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
100 years is to global warming as 1 minute is to the effects of a cholostorel indulgence in man...get real. Records don't go back far enough (ice cores and such are a nano sample)

Bruce Hooke
04-06-2007, 01:40 PM
I am obviously not going to change your mind. This issue has been debated endlessly many times over on the forum. I'm sure you know you're not going to change my mind. So maybe we should leave off on this.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest to you is to try to read some sources you consider reliable, that do not take a position on this issue but simply lay out the known facts and issues. Make up your mind based on such sources and move forward...

tossedman
04-06-2007, 01:46 PM
-6 C (21F) here today with some snow. Glad it's warmed up.
Todd
Calgary, AB (look north)

Phillip Allen
04-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I have made it a point to hang out with the liberal crowd...including The National Collegiate Players and various self described artists...this issue and many others have been rendered as a lifestyle statement, fashion statement by this crowd, blind acceptance is also even a rite of passage for many...they will not give up their notions and vigorously "research" with a mind to convincing themselves and other cat-walk caterers, clingers and groupies.

Bruce Hooke
04-06-2007, 02:55 PM
It sounds to me like you may have taken up exactly the sort of role (on the other side of the issue) that you accuse the liberals of taking up.

Blind acceptable of any point of view is not a good idea. That is why I suggested that you look to trusted non-partisan sources for your information on this (and any other) issue.

Phillip Allen
04-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Global warming is a guess...it may be wrong. It may be right, or it might be somewhere in between...but it is STILL a guess. I will even entertain the idea but I will not swollow it wholesale. In any event, the answer will not come in the lifetime of anyone now living including new borns...very likely their great, great, great, great grandchildren will still not have the answer...the value of the guess (assuming it continues) will not change in the next 100k years...much. It will still be a guess.

davidagage
04-06-2007, 04:10 PM
I am not sure about the politics of Global Warming. What I do know is......it is snowing, right here, right now!!

DG

sawcutmill
04-06-2007, 06:22 PM
The island nation of Kiribati, formally the Marshall Islands, was spot lighted this week on ABC(ithink)evening news, the island is almost awash, about 40 % of the land, is being over taken by the rising tide,NZ has opened their doors to refuges of dissappearing Pacific Island nations like Kiribati, i think they are accepting 75 residents a year.The local islanders in the pacific will be the first toi disappear.sorry global what ever you want to call it happening.

S/V Laura Ellen
04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
It snowed yesterday ans today. YUCH!

PeterSibley
04-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Try another analogy Phil .What is the likehood of an armed attack on the US mainland during the next 20 years ? 0% ,1% , 5%.How much of the US nation effort goes into arms ...defence ?

I'm trying to suggest the precautionary principle .If the chance of the doomsdayers being right is 1%, 5% ,50%...what should the response be .Denial seems unreasonable , it certainly isn't the response the Defence Department uses .