PDA

View Full Version : Atkins raised deck

greywolf
04-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I just bought a 1947 Atkins 38 foot raised deck cruiser. It is PO cedar on bent oak and has been on the hard for two years.
I dont know much about Atkins design, this one was professionaly built in BC so I think that the builder may have deviated from the design on the cabins. I recently broke my arm so I am having the below the water line work done in the yard so I can move the boat closer to home on the water.

I have two questions.
1. Does anybody have a link for info on Atkins boats in this size range?

2. This boat has a one piece stem guard, bottom plate, skeg. It is pretty rusted so I want to replace it. I can get a stainless replacement made for material only is stainless a good material for this?

Jay Greer
04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Sorry about the arm! I'll bet it makes caulking a bit dicey.
If you are not already aware of it, there is a book written by Alden called "Of Yachts and Men". It is a good read as well as a window into his philosophy of yacht design. You might, also, see if you can contact his office as I believe they are still in business.
So far as the metal components are concerned, I prefer making them of bronze plate. Bronze is easier to cut, form and can be tig welded as well if not better than stainless. It does not have to be electro polished and turns a respectible shade of green unless polished from time to time.
JG

bott
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Website for Atkin's boat plans and descripetions:

http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/index.html

On first glance I didn't notice a raised-deck 38 footer tho. And I'm sure you'll get plenty of 'stainless under the waterline' opinions in short order.

htom
04-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Maybe the NeapTide (http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/NeapTide.html) ?

Ian Marchuk
04-05-2007, 02:31 PM
Congratulations Greywolf and welcome to the forum.
How about posting some pictures , and telling the story of how
you came to find and buy her ?

greywolf
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
The name of the boat is the Tempe, I cannot find a corresponding plan on the Atkins site so I am a little puzzled about that. I have built a couple of small boats and worked on a few large ones. I have always owned wood boats when I owned boats, I looked a couple of glass boats this search but I just could not find "the one".

Tempe one is a real project but the price was exactally right and I just fell in love I am sure you all know that feeling. I have the time right now and access to great metal and wood shops. The boat is not in bad shape but the interior is out in the aft cabin and wheel house. It is powered with a reasonably fresh M.A.N. diesel which is a manf. with which I have no experience. I have always had a Budha or Jimmy.
I am going over to get some pictures of the boat Friday so I will put some up.

Tom M.
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
there is a book written by Alden called "Of Yachts and Men"
JG

Jay meant to say William Atkin wrote the book:D

greywolf
04-05-2007, 05:47 PM
I am not having to pay to have it made so I guess it is just a matter of price/function. Metal is not my strong suit.
I think that the shop that is doing it for me should be able to work with bronze.