PDA

View Full Version : Re: Marine Plywood.....

Nick Hungryhands
04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Moving out to Olympic Penninsula.... sans boat in progress.... I am having a very hard time finding 9mm or 3/8" x 4'x10' marine plywood. I have searched vendors... and discovered what seems to be a very good new product.. tough as doug fir...Keruing.. any of you know anything about it? It is supposed to have a tough interwoven grain, with better tensile strength, sheer strength and bending strength that doug fir, which has been my favorite. I digress... anyway... anyone know where to find my 4"x10"s????? I want to do one scarph per surface instead of two for an 18 footer. I wonder if it will be cheaper on the East coast or in Washington State....any thoughts out there? Cheers

paladin
04-03-2007, 09:29 AM
I haven't compared prices...but have you tried Boulter....I know that thy are usually higher in price....but......

Tom Robb
04-03-2007, 04:27 PM
Have you talked to Eden Saw on the outskirts of Port Townsend? There isn't much they don't have or can get.

Thorne
04-03-2007, 04:37 PM
I'm assuming that you mean you can't find it in your current location. You can certainly find it out West, and it will be cheaper to buy it out here than truck it all the way out here...

;0 )

pcford
04-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Scarf it. You can do it easily with a good block plane.

gary porter
04-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Nick, If you can find 10' ply at all it will probably have a scarf in it. The last long ply I bought did. CrossCut in Seattle has some very good 1088 but not sure that they will have longer than 8' They might though.
Gary

Nick Hungryhands
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
OK Gary.. tell me about this 1088 you speak of. I am moving out the end of this month and was planning on going to harbor sales, and bringing it out in my move. I tried all of the vendors out there, except Crosscut in Seattle.. I will look into that. I didn't realize that sheets longer than 8's weren't all veneered, and were scarphed.. thanks for the lead.