PDA

View Full Version : Snow!

ishmael
04-03-2007, 04:51 AM
What is it, April third, and the snow is coming down. They promised only an inch or so, but we've got twice that and it's still coming down.

It won't last, but I'm reminded where I live has had snow every month of the year. One year in the mid nineteenth century a bunch of farmers picked up and moved to the then Northwest Territory, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, because their crops in New England got bitten by a serious cold snap in July.

Looks like the start of the next ice age out there this morning.

huisjen
04-03-2007, 07:31 AM
Average "ice out" date on Walker Pond (Brooksville-Sedgwick) in the 1950's: April 15
Now: April 1.

Dan

Mrleft8
04-03-2007, 07:48 AM
April..... The cruelest month.......

huisjen
04-03-2007, 08:01 AM
April is actually my favorite month. Even though it's a given that we'll get some snow, it won't last. And the ground is starting to thaw. I've got a few crocus up in the lawn. I've got two new lambs and two new goat kids. Yesterday the doeling kid insisted on climbing up into my lap and bouncing around and being insufferably cute. The ducks are laying (although, sadly, one got laid by a passing car: quack! bump-bump). I've got onions growing well on the sunporch, and other odds and ends started in the greenhouse. The robins are back. The ice is melting on the ponds. I've pruned my grapes and I'm pruning my apples. Goats and sheep love apple prunings. The grass is greening up in places and I'll be able to put them on pasture in a few weeks.

Then May will come with the blackflies.

Dan

Mrleft8
04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking about starting my artichokes today.... But I didn't put up the green house this year, so I have to figure out where to put 'em....