PDA

View Full Version : Thinkin' about retiring the old 8-N....

Mrleft8
04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
I really don't need anything that big anymore...And I'm tired of it not starting when I need it to, and I'm tired of having to mess around with some bit or other even when it is "running"..... So.... Looking for a small tractor (not a polo pony) with a front bucket, maybe a hoe, plow blade would be useful...... Under 15 grand.... Any recomendations besides Kubota (Which I do not particularly care for)?

Ken Hutchins
04-02-2007, 10:04 PM
I really don't need anything that big anymore...And I'm tired of it not starting when I need it to, and I'm tired of having to mess around with some bit or other even when it is "running"..... So.... Looking for a small tractor (not a polo pony) with a front bucket, maybe a hoe, plow blade would be useful...... Under 15 grand.... Any recomendations besides Kubota (Which I do not particularly care for)?

EXCEPT Kubota :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Based on my 30 years of abuse and abuse and abuse I've given my po old L245DT Kubota I would not consider anything BUT a Kubota.:) :)

Ron Carter
04-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Just been through all of that myself. 15 grand might get you somehing around 20hp with a loader and hoe. Turned out the John Deere dealer beat all of the off brand wanna bee's on price. Kubota was also about 6 grand more. Decided I didn't have a $20,000 snow removal problem.

Frederick Bolton
04-03-2007, 01:03 AM
Hi Mrleft8,

We haven't met before, but living in farm country I have some knowledge of tractors. I bought a nice John Deere Diesel 3010 80 hp tractor three years ago for 5,000 dollars with a good front end loader plus a blade and post hole digger. Now that is more tractor than you probably want, but the price was right. I bought it over the internet using a link called "Machine Finder." It is a John Deere site for used equipment. The tractor was in Alamosa Colorado where 100 hp with 4 wheel drive is standard, so 80 hp with no 4 wheel drive was considered small and undervalued. I tried to buy the same tractor in my area and they were going for three times that much.

Check out Machine Finder. Tractors are basically big hunks of iron with an engine. If the engine is good, then age isn't a factor. I would never buy a new tractor. To much money. Used is better. Look for under valed equipment. You may have to travel a day or two to get it, but if it saves you 10,000 who cares.

Good luck.

moTthediesel
04-03-2007, 07:34 AM
If you're getting a small tractor with a front loader, IMHO 4wd is a must. I put a loader on Henry, my Ford 640 (Dad bought it new in '56, now 51 years in the same shed!) a couple of years ago, and as much as I love having it, it has some serious drawbacks.
I.E., if you pick up anything heavy (and why else do you want a loader?) your traction drops to near nothing. On larger, heavier tractors it's less of an issue, but with a small (say 20 to 40) hp unit that can be a real problem.
moT

emichaels
04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Couple of years ago I bought a new Kubota the 57 hp flavor. Loader and forks. Use it all the time in the woods and around the sawmill. Went back to Ohio to buy it as it was 5k cheaper than up here in Maine. The same thing in a Deere was much more money. Everyone I know that has/had a Deere told me to get the Kubota.

TimH
04-03-2007, 11:14 AM

How come you are against Kubota? just the idea of sending your money overseas?

Mrleft8
04-03-2007, 09:46 PM
How come you are against Kubota? just the idea of sending your money overseas?
Hell no.... The ones I've used have been built a little.....light for my taste.
I'm no protectionist. I drive a 17 y/o Honda, a 14 y/o Ford, and a 54 y/o Jeep. I don't give a damn who made it, as long as it works.

S.V. Airlie
04-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Actually my old ford 4x4 tractor ( only 26 hp ) was a Yahmaha. The only thing "Ford" about it was the color.

raycon
04-04-2007, 11:28 AM
The first must in buying a tractor with a front end loader(2wd) is solid front axle then power steering. 4x4 is optional in my mind depends on terrain. Lots of used stuff for sale at the moment locally.
Good luck

TimH
04-04-2007, 11:43 AM
My girlfriend is buying a new Kubota 3540. Id rather get a Deere, but its not my money.

Mrleft8
04-05-2007, 10:17 AM
The first must in buying a tractor with a front end loader(2wd) is solid front axle then power steering. 4x4 is optional in my mind depends on terrain. Lots of used stuff for sale at the moment locally.
Good luck Locally where? Not around here....

shadow99
04-09-2007, 10:25 AM
You could find something used at Derby Auto & Tractor Sales, I bought a used '79 Power King 2414 there. They have quite a good selection of used & new tractors up to 30hp. There right off route 8 in Derby, CT. They carry "IRON HORSE" & "FARMTRAC (LG)."
688 Derby Ave
Derby, CT 06483
203-734-6514
Mike Bawlick, owner

Rick

Mrleft8
04-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Looked for 'em on the web....No dice.... Must be good old fashioned kinda guys...

shadow99
04-09-2007, 11:04 AM
No they do not have a website, it's a family run business. A father & son team, very good natured folks! I spent days speaking with them, they are very knowledgable and know their equipment well.

Rick

Viva
04-19-2007, 02:19 PM
http://www.derbyavetractorandequip.com/

Kermit
04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Bought a Kubota 22hp new in about '75. Utterly reliable. Used it til I sold the farm, when a friend bought it about 15 years ago. Still going strong.

Now that I have time (if not money) I'd like to come up with a (nothing smells like a) John (nothing runs like a) Deere model L or an early Farmall Cub to restore. Just to play with and let the grandkids play with. Me too, of course.

You could do a LOT worse than a small 4wd Kubota! Look used.

Eric D
04-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I will tell you that checking the web for a good used tractor locally is NOT usually the best option. Most of those types of tractors are at auction/farm sales or in the local papers. Yes, deals are found on the net, BUT and that is a big BUT, they are rarely LOCAL.

Bro in law has a Case, Ford, 2 old 8n's and 2 H's and 1 M, only the Ford (new one) is 4 X 4 and logging with him in WI in our winters for what we do in the snow and slop lifting logs and such we have never had a serious need for anything but 2 wheeled drive. Chains are made for a reason.

Mrleft8
04-25-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't need 4wd....I just need reliable. Maybe I'll just hire someone to fix the 8-N....I'm no good at grease monkey anymore.....