PDA

View Full Version : It's nice to find places like this

Dave Gray
03-29-2007, 06:20 PM
I didn't want to spend $30 to order leather for oar locks from a mail order company. So I checked ye ole yellow pages and found a place in downtown Portland called the Oregon Leather Company. I called up and they told me to come on down.

The building is almost an anachronism in an area that is undergoing massive yuppie/cond/shop renovation. Old wood floors, a creaking wooden door with smoky glass for an entrance. I walk in and the lady points me to scrap barrels of leather. Scraps are sold $7.50 a pound. She goes over and pulls out a piece of saddle leather which cost me $12 and I walk out happy - it isn't a nice rectangle of leather but it is more than suitable for my needs. Now I can leather the world!

They sell wallets, leather coats and so on downstairs. Upstairs is pretty neat too - lots of horse tackle, beautiful saddles, and you can walk around and look at anything you want without a bevy of clerks hanging over you.

So - once I have leather installed should I seal it with sno-seal?

Dave Fleming
03-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Seems to me I used to get all my belts and such from an outfit in Portland....Lawrence perhaps?

And the Alaska Sleeping Bag Company another fine old firm gone, along with Horsh Weiss outdoor clothing.

almeyer
03-29-2007, 08:30 PM
I use mink oil on my leathers - same stuff I use on my work boots. Pick it up at any WalMart.
Al

paladin
03-29-2007, 09:03 PM
dunno waste your time on walmart.....I knows where there's a couple of fresh minks in cages and i think they is ready to be skinned....and if'n they dunn be quiet purty quick...well...I could use a pair of mink backed gloves to match the parkas.....

ssor
03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
Use tallow and pine tar. If it is too stiff add a little Neet's foot oil.

Thorne
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Sno seal will work if you haven't butchered a sheep recently for the tallow, or burned a pine stump for the pitch...

;0 )

BrianY
03-30-2007, 08:36 AM
How many Neet's feet does it take to make a pint of Neet's foot oil?

Bruce Hooke
03-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Damn I wish I could find a leather place like that around here. Leather is one thing that is very hard to order in small quantities over the web. Everyone (understandably) wants to sell either half hides or undifferentiated scraps, neither of which is very helpful if you need a small piece of a more specific variety of leather.

Keith Wilson
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
Spread on semi-solid mink oil and heat it with a hair dryer. It will liquefy and soak in amazingly. You won't believe how much a fairly small piece of leather can soak up, and water will just about bead up on the surface when it's good and saturated.

Steve Hornsby
03-30-2007, 12:58 PM
I also got my oar leather at a tack shop - $10 plus this rediculously strong thread.

I heat my leather boots in a warmed oven (element turn off) and then spread on the snoseal - melts on contact and soaks in nice.

Dave Gray
03-30-2007, 01:39 PM
....I heat my leather boots in a warmed oven (element turn off) and then spread on the snoseal - melts on contact and soaks in nice.

Reminds me when, many years ago, I took my brand new Pivetta boots and did just that. I loved those Pivettas - they were light weight and fit like a glove and were great backpacking boots. I was off for a week's hiking in the high Sierras. Well, the Vibram soles were never quite the same after that, but maybe it is because they were soft Vibram to begin with and saw some very hard use that week.

Bruce, I can try to send you a piece of leather but I have to warn you that this is the first time I went in this shop after living here for 35 years. Let me know...

Thanks for all the comments.

Nicholas Carey
03-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Problem with Sno-Seal is that it's got silicone in it.

I prefer Huberd's shoe grease (http://www.huberds.com/Home.html). Beeswax, pine tar and mystery ingredient X. Unchanged since 1929. Thousands of Pacific Northwest loggers can't all be wrong.

http://www.huberds.com/t//Huberds_031_lg.jpg

ssor
03-30-2007, 02:13 PM
How many Neet's feet does it take to make a pint of Neet's foot oil?

BrianY, That's Mister Neet to you sir. They render it from cows feet.;D

Stephen Kessler
03-30-2007, 06:58 PM
I too get my leathers from the Portland Oregon outfit. Friendly and reasonable in price. I have used both vasoline as well as Hubbards shoe goo with equally satisfactory results.