PDA

View Full Version : Spring is Early This Year

Oyvind Snibsoer
03-27-2007, 06:12 PM
It's sensationally warm around here for this time of the year. And then a phenological garden, that's a garden that has been planted with specific plants from a known origin in order to study recurring patterns in nature and compare it to observations from other phenological gardens in other parts of the world, and I never even knew such a thing existed until today, much less that the local garden is in the neighborhood I grew up in. Anyways, this garden, where the plants have been closely monitored for 50+ years for when leaves start to show, fall off etc, has found that spring has arrived a whooping TWO WEEKS earlier this year than ever previously recorded.

And that's actually pretty scary if you ask me...

brad9798
03-27-2007, 06:21 PM
80F here ... 20+ degrees F above normal!

Damn ... do I have to cut the grass BEFORE April ... Avril?

Milo Christensen
03-27-2007, 06:49 PM
I think, if the current warm trend continues here in south central Michigan, that spring will also be two weeks earlier than usual.

I've been following the ruby throated hummingbird's northward migration, and they're at least two weeks ahead of the normal schedule. Some have been sighted in central Indiana as of two days ago! I better put out the feeders this weekend, they would normally go out the 2nd week in April.

One of the interesting things I've noticed so far in this unusual warm trend is that the official forecasts of the daily high temperature have been consistently lower than the actual high temperature. Makes me wonder if the official forecasting model is not keeping pace with global climate change.