PDA

View Full Version : Toplicht.

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Has anyone ever put in an order.. no, not right, some of you have..
I Faxed an order yesterday. I have not received confirmation of that order.
Those who have put in an order, were they notified it had been received?
Just wondering as I hear it takes up to six weeks to have stuff delivered.

pss. e-mailed them to confirm. Have not heard back...

reddog
03-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Jamie;
Try e-mailing them in German.;)

Earl

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Gee.. thanks reddog...

reddog
03-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Sorry,couldn't help meself.:D Love their catalogue,just wish I could understand the language.

Earl

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 12:39 PM
go on the internet.. Translations available.
I had to go that route...:D

George Ray
03-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Please let us know how it works. I would like to order from them but have been put off by the potential difficulties. I seriously suggest an email in 'english'. I light heartedly suggest that if they don't seem to understand english, use a larger font and then, if necessary, bold type.

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 12:47 PM
George.. will do.. And yes, I did not use a larger font.. I did send an e-mail. I am a bit under the gun as if it takes six weeks to deliver, I need to make sure my order has been received.
This was a serious question.

martin schulz
03-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Has anyone ever put in an order.. no, not right, some of you have..
I Faxed an order yesterday. I have not received confirmation of that order.
Those who have put in an order, were they notified it had been received?
Just wondering as I hear it takes up to six weeks to have stuff delivered.

pss. e-mailed them to confirm. Have not heard back...

Some things to consider:

1. Usually one doesn't get fax-confirmations
2. count in the time-zones. Your fax probably arrived in the middle of the night
3. I don't think they will have any problems with english (there is a dutch chap working there as well)
4. Try to get them to mark their parcel ad gift. That way you don'tr have to pay import tax.
5. If you still want to write them something in german, feel free to contact me for a translation.

reddog
03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
martin;
That was a lame attempt at humour on my part. Just pokin' some fun at Jamie.

Earl

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 01:07 PM
How about a response from someone who has put an order in, in the past?
Was a confirmation received? If so, what method? And how long did it take before receiving it?

Jon Agne
03-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I have ordered from Toplicht in the past. Once by e-mail, and once over the telephone. They speak excellent english, and are very helpful in making sure you get what you want. Shipping can take several weeks, but I have had an order arrive in 10 days.

PS: They have always responded to my e-mail questions, but sometimes it takes them a few days.

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 01:53 PM
I just want to make sure the order arrived via FAX. I don't want to sit here wondering...and then finding out it had never been received.. Real simple...

Jon Agne
03-27-2007, 02:18 PM
If you're in a hurry, telephone them. Don't forget that they're either 5 or 6 hours ahead of us, depending on when they go to DST.

011-49-40-8890100

S.V. Airlie
03-27-2007, 02:21 PM
Thanks I got the number. Interesting though that I put in a 1500.00 order and have not gotten a response.

kc8pql
03-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I've ordered from them a bunch of times averaging several hundred to several thousand dollars each time. No fax order confirmation that I recall, but if your fax was sent, they got it. Service has been outstanding. If they had a question about my order they phoned me. Their English is better than mine. Longest shipping time was about 3 1/2 weeks I think. Quickest was 7 days. I've had longer shipping times from US conpanies. I think it depends more on how long your order sits in customs in NY than the actual transit time.

S.V. Airlie
03-29-2007, 12:34 PM
It must be ME!!!!
Out of every item in the catalogue, mine.. the ones I ordered are back ordered.. six weeks min. Now I have to figure out where to send them to avoid a few taxes.
I swear, it has to be ME!!!!

reddog
03-29-2007, 12:57 PM
Jamie;
Could you have them sent to Cecil under his company name? Not sure how all that international tax stuff works.

Earl

S.V. Airlie
03-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Yup.. I obviously could but damn.. not sure what the taxes will be..
Last resort.. Especially as taxes I am paying to Cecil on the work, how shall I say this, may not be refundable after April 1st or 30th...
Figure I've paid enough.

pss. I don't mind paying.. I hate getting screwed because a gov. decids to change the rules.

As in being taxed by Canada for a bunch of stuff I was bringing to the boat in Feb. Royally screwed... For no reason.. old stuff too...

paladin
03-29-2007, 01:08 PM
If the material that you have ordered is in reality "old stuff", they can mark the parcel "salvaged items" and hardware samples.......worked for me....

S.V. Airlie
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Chuck.. it was in my car.. It was old stuff.. stuff I had taken off Uncas. It was in black plastic bags.. not even boxed.
Their logic.. how do we know ya ain't going around the corner and sell it..
LOL... come on.. really.
Governments want to make crooks out of honest people if they can.

mmd
03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
Keep the tax receipts and when you take the completed boat out of the country, are cleared into the USA and registered there, send copies of the tax receipts to Revenue Canada and request a refund. Items brought into Canada for installation in a product that is subsequently exported are not taxable. The taxman figures that the easiest way to administer this is to take the money up front and refund it farther down the line, rather than get crazy at the border trying to figure out what is taxable and what is not. You may even be eligible for interest earned on the money they have held on your behalf.

As for fax confirmations, I have ordered about twenty grand worth of tools from the USA in the past couple of months, and the only order confirmations I get from US firms is when I call 'em on the 'phone. One company sent a pretty thank-you card, tho'.

S.V. Airlie
03-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Michael.. is that the way the new law is written?
I hear so much and know so little.
I have been told I'm up a creek...but I'm used to that.

mmd
03-29-2007, 07:33 PM
That is the way that I understand it to be, but the budget did come down a few days back...

I'll be seeing my accountants, Hyditt, Clauback, and Witt Held in the next little while (personal tax time and quarterly business tax time - oh! Joy!) and if'n I remember, I'll try to slide that question in the conversation sorta sly-like.

jverl
03-29-2007, 08:24 PM
Jamie,
The canadian website at:
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/qa-e.html
provides the info on the visitor's rebate. See in particular Q10.
If you can get Cecil to make the bill dated before 1 April you should be OK, but I'm not an accountant and Mike might be able to get better answers.
:D

S.V. Airlie
03-30-2007, 06:07 AM
Thanks Michael and John.
Tech. items were paid before April 1st.. as in CCard # on the fax dated March 23rd.

Hwyl
03-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Did you call Toplicht, early afternoon there now.

S.V. Airlie
03-30-2007, 08:21 AM
Gareth.. they called me and said my order had been back ordered. I had a nice chat and asked about taxes.. Didn't know but why should he have.
Anyway, he said Toplicht would keep me informed as to the progress of this order as it gets closer to my departure in mid May.

kc8pql
03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
I had a nice chat and asked about taxes..

I've never been charged duty and only once was charged $10. for customs inspection fee.

S.V. Airlie
03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
I've never been charged duty and only once was charged $10. for customs inspection fee.

probably wouldn't be but with a back order, Toplicht won't be able to send it out before I leave the USA.. Hence, may have to be sent to Canada.. Different laws.. different rules.
Will see what happens. The back ordered stuff may come in sooner...