PDA

View Full Version : Centerboard slot not square

Alex Batson
07-16-2001, 04:32 PM
I am building a 12 1/2 foot Catspaw dinghy. This is my first boat-building project and I screwed up cutting out the centerboard slot. The boat is all planked up and fastened. The slot is cut into the 1 3/8" thick red oak keel. The first 6 inches of cut did not cut square to the top of the keel. The cut slops to bottom, outside of the keel. The slot is fine on the top ,inside of the boat. However, the bottom of the slot is 3/16" to the outside bottom of the keel. The plans call for the centerboard case to be fastened to the keel with 2 1/2 inch #12 screws. When I draw a full size picture of this mess, I barely have enough room to the place the screw through keel and into the center of the side of the centerboard case.
I would appreciate any ideas on what I can do to fix this problem. I am considering gluing a piece of wood back on the slot and re-cutting it. I have also thought of squaring off the slot with epoxy. However, I am concerned that the epoxy will not hold well to the red oak keel in this application.

Thad
07-16-2001, 05:33 PM
If you have room for the screw heads you are probably all right. As the line on top is right and the bevel out is below, the screw will be into more keel as it moves up. Are you going to countersink and bung the screw holes?

Stephen Hutchins
07-16-2001, 06:06 PM
Maybee you could install the case and shim it with cedar shingles.

Phil Young
07-16-2001, 07:58 PM
I'd think your screws need to be in solid wood, not a glued on strip, or epoxy. Is there room left in the remainder of the keel if you put the screws in at a bit of an angle? Just be careful their tips don't pop out into the cb case itself. Or can you go the other way, screw down through the internal logs, into the keel, assuming there are internal logs which are outside the sides of the cb case. Hope that makes sense. Its an important, and often leaky, joint.