PDA

View Full Version : Drying out!

Ed Killian
08-08-2005, 08:58 AM
I am slowly chipping away on rennovating my old Richarson, been focused on getting out the dry rot. Se has been out of the water for quite while (8 years?) and has dried out quite a bit. Paint and varnish have fallen off leaving quite a bit of graying uncoverd wood on the transom and cabin sides and side decks. The side decks are even checking quite a bit. Been thinking of putting on a quick coat of paint to seal the wood. Some of it will later be painted, some varnished. Does that make sense?
Any other recommendations?
Thanks

Ken Hutchins
08-08-2005, 09:02 AM
I would use oil based varnish thinned about 25% then a second coat thinned 10%. This makes a good sub prime for either paint or varnish in the future. If you use paint it will soak into the wood and hinder getting a good varnish finish later.

pcford
08-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I understand that boats in the Caribbean sometimes paint over their varnish.

I would not advise painting the bare wood. You will cuss when you try to get paint out of the pores later. Not impossible but slow.

Can you somehow cover exposed wood with tarp etc.

Ed Killian
08-10-2005, 07:39 AM
She's pretty well covered but it gets warm in there and I was thinking that she will continue to dry out. Using the varnish as suggested makes a lot of sense to me - thanks guys
Ed

imported_Jimmy
08-10-2005, 10:31 AM
I don't think I would worry about her drying out any more after 8 years. Paint wouldn't keep her from drying out anyway. If you want to paint her I would paint the areas you are going to paint and varnish the areas you are going to varnish. Just put on a quick coat with minimal prep expecting to strip it off when you do a proper coat. It is a pain to varnish areas that have been painted previously.