PDA

View Full Version : 327 years old today (whoops - 322)

elf
03-20-2007, 11:28 PM
Who?

Rick Starr
03-21-2007, 06:12 AM
You don't look a day over 295! :p

I had to google it to find out so I won't give it away in the unlikely instance that someone genuinely knows. Interesting! Historically relevant to the forum as well.

A mere 322 years ago today Johann Sebastian Bach was born.

Bronte and Mussorgsky also share the date.

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2007, 06:15 AM
I was gonna say Bach.. but um, off by five years.

oops.. two posts, same conclusion.. cross postings I guess.

Mrleft8
03-21-2007, 06:34 AM
Rufustr?

elf
03-21-2007, 06:56 AM
I've never been strong with numbers....

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Ah...
Calculator, $9.95 at WalMarts. Made in China...:eek:

Needless to say, when I first saw this thread and knowing Elf loved Bach, I said to myself.. umm.. the organ master.. Gotta be..
Then I googled... oops. 1685, the same year as Handel...
Was initially disappointed.... I figured I had this one down pat.

Phillip Allen
03-21-2007, 07:06 AM
Congrats Jamie... (You might have been carrying coal to Newcastle but you persevered)

(Cue Toccata and fugue in D minor)

S.V. Airlie
03-21-2007, 07:15 AM
(You might have been carrying coal to Newcastle but you persevered)

Worth the trip Phillip. There are some really good pubs in Newcastle. And the last time I bicycled through, there was a fantastic Blue Grass festival. Was surprised at how good the bands were on that side of the pond.

Rick Starr
03-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Well, I made a mistake too...I didn't catch that google gave me the patent date instead of the birthdate. Still this guy is interesting and I wouldn't have found him without ELF's new math...

Daniel Quare

Died 21 Mar 1724 (born c.1648)
English clockmaker, one of the most eminent of his time, with wealthy clients for his clocks, barometers and mathematical instruments. In 1680, he invented a repeating pocket watch mechanism which struck the nearest hour and quarter hour on a bell inside the case when a pin was pushed, thus giving the time even in the dark. On 2 Aug 1695 he received a patent for a portable weather-glass (barometer) which "may be removed and transported to any place, though turned upside down, without spilling one drop of the quicksilver, or letting any air into the tube." Quare's elegant barometers had a wooden or ivory column resting on brass feet, with a brass compartment with a glass front to read the measurement scales at the top of the barometric tube.

Happy birthday to all.