PDA

View Full Version : Interior Layout

Terry Etapa
08-01-2001, 05:43 PM
I'm converting a salmon troller from a work boat to a pleasure boat. The cabin will be roughed in by October. Now, the hard part. SWMBO, must be obeyed when it comes to the interior. However, SWMBO can not visualize a layout from drawings.

I would like a simple interior similar to a 1950's Ed Monk troller yacht. Finding anything at a yacht broker to view is near imposible. Are there any coffee table books, design books, etc. that can be used as a visual aid to assist in planning the interior?

RGM
08-01-2001, 07:03 PM
Go down to the Seattle Public Library some evening or Saturday and go to the section of Reserved Periodicals. These are old magazines, etc. that you can check out to examine and make copies of articles that you are interested in. You aren't allowed to remove the magazines from the library, so bring lots of change for the copy machines. Anyway, you can check out old issues of yachting type magazines going way back towards the turn of the century. You'll be able to find plenty of drawings and photos of interior layouts. Pick an era and go for it. The articles are a kick to read (archaic language in the real old ones) and the advertisements are great. Also try out the bookstore on Stoneway that's right across the street from Daly's Paints. Maybe you've already been there, but in case you haven't the owner specializes in old (some new) maritme books. You might get some design/layout ideas there. Good luck.

PugetSound
08-01-2001, 08:23 PM
Why not work it out the same old fashioned way they used to for naval vessels? The arrangements of all of those battleships, carriers, and submarines wasnt' entirely left up to chance. Most of the most critical arrangements were mocked up (usually in wood) full-size on the same lofting floor used for the original lines (in the days before computers, the lines for a ship were actually inlet into the hardwood floor of what was called the Mold Loft).

My suggestion is to clear out the garage, get alot of scrap wood and cardboard and mockup the entire compartment. For a project the size that you are contemplating, a few days spent building a mockup should be a good investment. Also, your wife will appreciate the effort since she really does have a valid point - things do look different in full size 3D than they do on a scaled down drawing.

Dave Fleming
08-02-2001, 09:32 AM
The problem with females, NOT all Females and some Males too, having difficulty vizualizing 3 dimensional spaces is not specific to your SWMBO.
Having had some little experience dealing with the wives of clients building multi-million dollar yachts and watching the designer tear out what remained of his hair. I came upon this solution, and I know I ain't original with this.
Got a pallet of door skins, a bundle of 1 x 2 pine and some hot melt glue guns. With the floor plan laid out on some sheets of ply, NOT the loft floor, it was no big deal to erect some bulkheads and then mock up bunks, lavs, lockers etc.. You could see the light of comprehension come on in the eyes of the ladies as they could, in a word, put a finger on the layout of the space in question.
My SWIMPAL who apprenticed with me at Marco in Seattle for several years had trouble with vizualizing until she took her Lofting classes and started putting pencil to paper and then to floor.
Comes the dawn to us all, sooner or later or so says I.

Ross Faneuf
08-02-2001, 10:17 AM
Another material which is very useful for mockup is that blue foam insulation board, available in 1", 1 1/2" and 2" thickness. Can be hot melt glued or fastened up with dry wall screws, although the later have to be handled gently lest they pull out. Especially good for mocking up smaller bits.

When I worked at the old shipyard in Quincy 35 years ago, we had a full mockup of the reactor of a nuc powered destroyer we used all the time (this was way before CAD changed everything) - made of plywood, pine, and heavy cardboard. It lasted for years.

[This message has been edited by Ross Faneuf (edited 08-02-2001).]