PDA

View Full Version : Beeswax and Rosin filler

chrisjb99
07-25-2005, 09:15 AM
Just tried this yesterday as per WB #171 p.12 for shallow screw countersinks. Process seemed pretty funky. Melted beeswax on a double boiler easily, then started adding rosin powder, about 3:1 rosin to wax, which itself melted so I took it off the heat ,then as cooling and stirring I pulled out a big gob of what looked like pure resinous rosin. Extra that the beeswax wouldn't take? Anyway cooled the rest a bit till looked like filler consistency, then squeezed it in some holes. Smelled like it had rosin in it but appeared mainly wax. Scraped off excess after a bit and wiped down w/ turps. Slapped on some oil base primer later, seemed to stick. Anyone have any feedback on this stuff? Thanks, cjb

ssor
07-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Sounds like grafting wax used by arborists and orchard workers. I guess it will work ok for plugging holes but so will a lot of other stuff.

Bob Cleek
07-26-2005, 01:47 PM
Science has come up with a lot of good stuff to fill holes since beeswax and rosin! Try putty, for instance.

Giles
08-01-2005, 04:01 AM
Chatting to my Grandad(88) the other day, he was recounting tales about HIS old man. He had Styx, ne of the Rivers class boats from Crossfields in Lancashire, UK. An old fashioned mysoginist, he treated his ship a lot better than his wife according to his son.

Anyway, my grandad was telling me how his old man always used a rosin/wax (and turps?) mix for seams. Putty does go hard after while.

Not a recommendation, just a snippet from times past.

Cheers

Giles

Dan McCosh
08-01-2005, 05:58 AM
I once caulked the entire hull with beeswax, after discovering that Slickseam is basicallly beeswax. The stuff went OK, but when the boat was launched it was a bit softer than Slickseam--which has some fillers in it. The compound blew through a couple of seams. Also--paint doesn't like to stick to it.

pipefitter
08-01-2005, 09:32 AM
And hope it doesn't have dark paint on it.

AngWood
08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Three semi-sequiturs:

A). I'm shocked that Cleek recommends something less traditional (i.e., old-timey) than what you have used. That's a first.

B). Seems to me that rosin/beeswax sure would smell nice, adding to that traditional boat aroma (pine tar, linseed oil, etc.).

C). My edition of The Joy of Cooking has a recipe for potatoes cooked in rosin. A big pot of melted rosin, nothing else. Stick the taters in. I still can't quite get my mind around that one.

sseay
08-04-2005, 10:56 AM
Rosin potatoes! A great 4th of July traditon when my father was alive. They are just baked potatoes with inedible rosin all over them. Always fun watching the new guests trying to eat the rosin hardened potato skins. Dad got the recipe from his southern relatives.I think people involved in turpentine production would through thier lunch taters in the boiling cauldrens of rosin. Mom finally put a stop to the tradition because Dad always gave himself some real nasty burns after a few beers. I still have the pot of rosin somewhere.