PDA

View Full Version : Help on UV Additives

Frederick Bolton
03-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Now that I am beginning to build my boat, an 18 foot cedar planked modified Dory style, I am looking down the road to what finish I may decided to use. I havent made up my mind on finish, but I know I will use a pre-application of anti-rot and anti-fungus chemicals under what ever I choose.

I also would like to add a UV blocker to the finish to enhance UV protection. I have searched the WBF but can't find any threads on UV additives. I also haven't found any on the Web.

Do they exist? If so, where do you get them? Any help appreciated.

kc8pql
03-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Exterior and marine grade varnishes and paint already have added UV protection. No need to add more.

Frederick Bolton
03-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Believe it or not, one of the choices I am considering is a natural Tung Oil finish using pure tung oil. I am concerned about longevity of uv protection if I go with this choice.

kc8pql
03-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Just use a tung based marine teak oil, and expect to have to re-coat constantly to keep it looking decent.

Todd Bradshaw
03-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Try a google search for "UV9" (or maybe UV-9). I'm out of town on a reeeeallllllly slow dial-up connection until Monday, so it's just about impossible to search for anything. Anyway, it (and other similar products) are powders which can be mixed into resins, varnishes and other finishing products to provide UV blocking. We used to mix UV9 into resin for building strippers and it only took about a thimble full for a full coat. If you dig a bit, there are some good industrial sites which explain how these types of products work and how to use them.

Frederick Bolton
03-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks Todd, I am on T1 for the moment so I will search and post results.