View Full Version : BOISE CRANE Table Saw

G & T
02-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I have an opportunity to buy an old 10" Boise Crane table saw. It appears to be in fair condition. The motor has been replaced with a 2 hp Baldor. It only has 2 belts the third didn't line up when the new motor was installed. The front door is missing as well as the motor cover. The saw has a 3/4" spindle which is also a concern. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated. Asking price is $400.00

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
02-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Have a peek at this post:

and let me know if I can help.

I cut my arbor to 5/8" by the way - and had new spacers made up. If you get the saw and the throat plate is the same as mine (they changed to simple rectangles not too far into production) let me know as I've got all the fixturing to carve new ones.

The saws did not come with a motor cover. Mine's an after market replacement. It's a shame it's missing the front door though - but you could always make something up to contain the dust.

Have you got any pictures???

G & T
02-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Thanks for the info. I checked out your pictures & it looks to be the same saw. Sounds like a good idea to cut down the arbor to 5/8". What do you make of the belt problem? I figure they used 3 belts for a reason, they're narrow & probably would slip under a good load. It might get pretty involved to add a third belt. Given all these issues do you think this is worth $400.00 ? I don't know anything about Boise Crane saws reputation. Were many of them made ? How do they compare to a Unisaw?

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
02-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I'm running three 1/2" Link Belts. They're to big and I'm on the hunt for some 3/8" Link Belt. Your saw (assuming you buy it) should take the same. I'd not be too worried about running two belts if you stick with the 2HP motor. Three would be better (can you slide the pulley over or re-mount the motor?) but two should do.

These saws were made to compete toe-to-toe with the Unisaw of the day. In fact Boice Crane sued Delta for patent infringement and won - can't remember what the exact infringement was right now though. At the time they were fairly equal in power and both saws were used in production shops. the trunion system on both saws was different though. the Delta arbor describes an arc as the blade is raised and lowered where-as the BC arbor goes straight up and down. Further, the BC saw used one adjustment wheel to serve both raise and lower functions as well as tilt. finally, the BC saw was (is) a left tilt saw and the Unisaw was (is for the most part still) a right tilt saw.

However BC stopped making saws and Delta continued. Delta eventually removed material from their trunnions in an effort to reduce cost and when Rockwell owned the brand name, the saws were borderline, They've since come back up in quality, but I'd take an older (pre-Rockwell) saw over a new one any day.

I'm impressed with the Boice Crane saw, but it's an orphan. It took me two months of solid looking to find bearings for it (found NOS ones too! but they were $100 for the pair)) but other than that, the thing was a joy to rebuild. It's going to outlast me but would I spend $400 on one? Sure I would - if I knew it was in good shape and didn't need anything to use it. I'd be concerned about the fence it has (you never mentioned what it was) but if the bearings are good, the fence is good and the motor's good, I'd probably start at $200 and see what happens. Remember though - I got mine for $20 and I tend to do most of my feeding along the bottom :)

Oh - I have a copy of the original owners manual that was given to me by another BC saw owner. If you get the saw, let me know and I'll forward a copy.

Ron Williamson
03-01-2007, 04:27 AM
We ran a 3hp Unisaw for years on 2 belts,after the third got peeled off by a small offcut or somesuch.

G & T
03-01-2007, 08:10 AM
The saw is loaded with saw dust & not easy to get at. From what I could see the motor has to be shifted to get the pulleys to align. Looks like standard 3/8" vee belts. Is it a big deal to shift the motor?

The fence is old ,maybe original. There's a tubular rail on the front of the saw & a "C" shaped channel on the back. The fence itself has two locking devices on it, one for the front & one for the back. You have a knurled fitting you screw in to lock the rear. The rear rail doesn't look too sturdy. Does this sound anything like the original system?

I think the bearings are ok, couldn"t feel any wobble. The motor sounds ok.

The owner said it needs a tune up. The blade is not parrallel to the miter slots. Is that a fairly simple adustment?

Thanks for all your input.

Rob Stokes, N. Vancouver
03-01-2007, 10:04 AM
The Baldor I have is mounted on a home made (1/4" plate) motor bracket. I was able to built in enough adjustment to get it all aligned. I think the original motors had their own mounting system (sort of like Unisaws have their own system) so who knows how the guy that retrofitted the motor actually got it to work. But like I said, you'll probably be fine with two belts and 2 HP.

Fence sounds original - I've got a spare if you want. Can't speak to how good they are as I've never used it (my saw was tipped over and the fence mounting bosses are all broken off) but the other fellow I know of with one of these likes his. I may even have the original rear rail - let me know if you want me to look for it.

When I first re-assembled my saw the blade was out of parallel by about 0.014" (across the entire blade). Not even close to acceptable. There was no adjustment capability built into the trunion mounting system so I had to modify the system to facilitate adjustment. It's now adjusted to well under 0.001" runout (across the entire blade) and the adjustment is holding. But as I said up there, my saw is a very early saw (s/n#196) and I know for a fact that they made "usability" changes to the design not to much deeper in the production run. I have no idea if these changes incorporated easier adjustability or not. Even if not, it's not a big deal to modify the trunions, thought you'll likely need a second set of hands to help remove/flip the table assembly and you'll need to ream out a couple of mounting holes. If it gets to that, let me know.

The more you're telling me about the saw the less I think it's worth $400 (Although the motor's definitely worth at least $200). That fence will probably work fine, but there's better ones on the market today. The saw's a good saw once it's set up, but by the sounds of it, it's going to take time and effort to get it to where it's usable and you can't go to your local Boice Crane store for information and parts. Like I said earlier - I'd low ball the guy and see what happens.

Any idea what serial number it is? There should be a orange painted brass nameplate up and to the right of the adjustment handle. The serial number and date of manufacture will be on it. And if the guy parts it out, let me know. There's this little washer ...... :)

G & T
03-02-2007, 08:16 PM

I agree with you. I made an offer of $300.00, he has not accepted yet but said he would if nothing else better comes along in a week. I'll let you know how it works out.

Lew Barrett
03-02-2007, 08:29 PM
$400 is not too much to pay for a saw that's in acceptable working condition, but just remember that if you buy a modern fence system it can easily add another $400. A saw you buy used (new ones often don't though) should come with a good blade. Minus that, you'll be out another $50-100. Add your labor, the belt issue and any other odds and ends and pretty soon you're up to 800 or 1000. You have your choice of good used saws there.
If this isn't exactly the saw you want, walk away.

Tom Robb
03-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Looks like some hard-nosed horse trading is called for.

03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Parts and service

Gothenburg Manufacturing Co. bought the parts business after Boice-Crane went under. Until recently they supported the spindle sander, belt sander, and scroll saw, but Gothenburg has gone under. The radial arm saw is still supported by Comet. We do not have any information on whether Wilton Corp. (http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=904) still provides support for the old Boice-Crane drill presses.

I had an old BC thickness planer (4x12", maybe 400lbs) and there were no parts for it 20+ years ago. Sam