View Full Version : 316 SS Wire Rope

Don Kurylko
02-26-2007, 01:24 AM
Okay, Ive searched and Ive searched and now I have given up! Does anyone out there know if there is such a thing as Type 316 Stainless Steel 7x7 wire rope, in 3/8 / 10mm diameter? Smaller diameters are available, but nothing over 1/4". Or how about 3/8 galvanized 7x7?

Frustrated!:( :mad:

George Ray
02-26-2007, 07:19 AM
When I started my schooner overhaul project, I looked long and hard for 7x7 galv,crs (3/8", 5/16") just in case I needed to replace any of my rigging. The most promising source of 7x7 was a firm in the UK that had both EU and Asian manufactured wire. I emailed them and they were very helpful, but I lost the address when MS Outlook fooled me into thinking I had backups all my emails for a two year period and a crash wiped the infomation out.. It was not the first time microsoft had charged me big $ and then let me down. I was steaming and switched to firefox and thunderbird and have not looked back. Where was I, Oh... back to wire,

Digging around I think that this is the UK firm that I corresponded with that had 7x7 in galv and CRS.

Galv 7x7: => http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/southernriggin/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=110
CRS: => http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/southernriggin/index.asp?function=DISPLAYCAT&catid=9

There must be a source in the US but it never jumped out at me.
West Coast wire was a lead I never followed up but looked promising.
How about those poured sockets?

Don Kurylko
02-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the links George. So far only Southern Rigging in England seems to still carry 3/8 7x7 316 SS and 7x7 galvanized wire rope. It appears to have all but disappeared in North America. 7x19 316 is available in larger diameters, but I dont like the idea of using it for shrouds - too many little wires in the make up. 7x7 galvanized in larger diameters is only available coated in plastic. Lots of 1x19 316 SS around though. Im sure it will be available for a long time yet, but anyone who is contemplating rigging or re-rigging a larger cruising boat with hand formed splices and soft eyes may be in for a bit of a shock by the apparent scarcity of high quality 7x7 316 wire. 7x7 304 is still available, which is okay for northern waters maybe, but for tropical cruising its less than adequate. It just deteriorates too quickly.

I would also recommend that anyone contemplating buying wire these days should NOT purchase it sight unseen. It appears that there is a lot of offshore crap out there manufactured to very poor standards. At least purchase a sample first so you dont get burned on a big order.

Roger Cumming
02-27-2007, 08:56 PM
Jakob, Inc
400 Gulfstream Blvd
Delray beach, FL 33444

Swiss manufacturer of ss wire rope and fittings for architectural applications, mostly in type 316. Very high quality. They may have a product appropriate for marine use.

Don Kurylko
02-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Thanks Roger, I'll check it out.