View Full Version : Internet security

Ian Marchuk
02-20-2007, 10:06 PM
I have used Norton's security system for the past two years and it is almost due for renewal. Last year when I renewed it I thought that it had slowed things down considerably. I have a high speed service.
What is your experience with Norton?
As far as computer skills and/or knowledge is concerned I must admit to being functionally illiterate..... I need all the help I can get.
And..... sorry Joe , I won't be buying a mac .....
Thanks for your consideration....
Best...... Ian

Charles Burgess
02-20-2007, 10:13 PM
www.ipaladin3.com can help...send them an email.

02-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I have only ever used the free version of AVG. No problems after four years, frequent (sometimes daily) updates, and it is so "non bloatware" that it is fine to update even on a dial up connection.

Don Kurylko
02-20-2007, 10:39 PM
AVG I'll second that. Free anti-virus and spyware. Norton sucks!!!!!

Don Kurylko
02-20-2007, 10:50 PM

This is also a very handy little program for cleaning out the crap that accumulates when web surfing. Check it out. It's free too, I think.

02-20-2007, 11:07 PM

I decided the last time I bought a PC to find out what package out there had the smallest performance hit while still doing the job and everything I saw pointed me to NOD32 by a little company called ESET. I've got 4 kids that download and install all sorts of s*&% and I haven't had a virus infection or spyware infestation in the year and a half since I started using it. I do this stuff for a living so I've got all the necessary tools to search for hidden rootkits and such and this machine has remained as clean as the laptop I don't let anyone else in the family touch. 'Course I tell most people the best defense is a free copy of Linux downloaded and installed over the top of Windows but I realize most aren't quite willing to go that far. I run OpenSUSE 10.2 on my laptop but I still have to dual boot it to do much of my work stuff since the VPN software doesn't run under Linux.

Good luck,

02-21-2007, 02:28 AM
I second the AVG free, had no problems whatsoever since I've been using it.

02-21-2007, 05:19 AM
Get a Mac

Bruce Hooke
02-21-2007, 05:24 AM
OK, first a bit of terminology. An "Internet Security" software package is NOT the same as a stand-alone anti-virus program such as AVG. So, good as AVG is, Norton Internet Security is doing some other things. Here is the list of things Norton says their software does:
Detects and blocks spyware, viruses, and adware
Automatically blocks intruders and identity thieves
Automatically filters spam and dangerous phishing email
Blocks Web sites you don’t want your children to visit
Gives you control over all incoming and outgoing Internet traffic
Automatically scans email and instant-message attachments and removes viruses, Trojan horses, and worms
Includes Norton AntiVirus, Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Privacy Control, Norton AntiSpam, and Norton Parental ControlSo, if you want to get rid of Norton (and it does have a reputation of being a bit of a resource hog) you need to figure out which of those features you actually need and then figure out what software to use instead of Norton.

- AVG is a good anti-virus package and will take care of scanning incoming mail and files for viruses and the like.
- Windows XP includes a built in firewall, and many routers (what you run your Internet connection through if you have multiple computers on the same Internet connection or if you have a wireless system) provide another layer of firewall protection. A firewall "blocks intruders." I am not sure I would trust the Windows firewall alone if I did not also have a router between my computer and the outside world, so if you do not have a router the version of AVG that includes a firewall would be a good choice.
- Many email providers and some email software (such as Outlook) include a spam filter. No spam filter is perfect, so don't expect perfection. Whatever you use, you'll need to check occasionally to make sure it is not marking as spam stuff that you actually want to receive.
- For spyware and the like you can use Spybot Search & Destroy ( http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html ) and LavaSoft Adaware ( http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ ), but for them to do much good you have to remember to do an occasional scan. Both are pretty much free. That said, I have both of these software packages and neither seems to find anything of real significance when I run them.
- I'm not sure what Norton means by "Gives you control over all incoming and outgoing Internet traffic."
- I do not have any recommendations on parental control software. Since I don't have any kids that has not been an issue for me.

Hope that helps.

Ron Joslin
02-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Does AVG have the red umbrella Icon ? If so I had (the free version ) on my windows xp home for about two years until the spy& ad ware took over. The firewall was AFU it let everything in and nothing out. So I then went back to Steganos with the result that my system was way slow. After finially removing both AVG and Steganos I bought G-DATA security for 50.00 this is suposed to be a complete Anti everyting with firewall etc. After installing G-DATA it found 127 viruses cleaned them up and my pc has worked more or less ok for over a year now. I must admit that I do not understand most of this computer mumbo jumbo. I am in Germany and we may have diffrent junk going around here than in the US as a lot of the sex stuff is in German.

If I ever get my hands on some SOB that spreads these viruses and spy crap I will take them shark fishing on a dark foggy night. On second thought Ill just cut em up in broad daylight and use em for bait. :eek: :mad:

Flying Orca
02-21-2007, 08:51 AM
The red umbrella isn't AVG, it's something with a very similar name though (AVI? can't remember, though I was just dealing with it on a bandmate's machine). Anyway, I'll add my voice to the pro-AVG chorus here - the free version is great, and the corporate version has been protecting my work network for years and was very reasonably priced.

Never had anything good to say about Norton's stuff, though, and I've been playing with computers since about 1979. It's ill-behaved bloatware, and learning to use the machine properly (plus a few good freeware programs) is all it takes to protect your computer.

Oh yeah, the only machines I've ever lost were due to either catastrophic hardware failure (gribbled disk or MOBO meltdown) or OS problems (hellooooo, Micro$oft!). Never lost a machine to a virus. One of my hats at work is IT guy, and we're running about twenty machines across ten departments with, um, undereducated users. And no virus problems. :-)

I'd love to do something about the "undereducated" part, but unfortunately IT is only one of my hats, and the others take up most of my time. One day...

John Meachen
02-21-2007, 06:57 PM
I use AVG and Zone-Alarm firewall.I also use Spybot and Adaware.I used to use Norton and won't be going back for the reasons given earlier in the thread.

Ian Marchuk
02-21-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks so much for your time and consideration in responding to my dilemma.
I hooked up to Adaware soon after I bought this computer. I had the dealer install Norton. Proceeded to install a router for the tenant
downstairs and hooked up to high speed cable. WOW.
Interesting that Adaware picked up all kinds of junk that got past
Norton. I would scan about once every ten days and clean things up. The puter always ran much better after a purgative.
Adaware doesn't want to provide me with their freebie scans any longer , so I'm scouting about before I commit .
You are and have been very helpful.... thanks again.
Any further thoughts or observations are welcome , I'm so inept
with this stuff that every word is a revelation!

George Jung
02-22-2007, 10:40 PM
I'd add my .02 (just a lil' late) for AVG free. It found over 100 viruses when I replaced Norton with it. I've also used Antivir (it's the lil' red umbrella, I think) and it was also good.
I'm using ad aware; I'm not aware that they've stopped supporting that. What problem are you encountering?

George Roberts
02-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Learn to use your computer and don't do stupid things with it and you will not need a security package.

1) download stuff only from sites you trust

2) don't open/read mail/attachments you are not expecting.

Ian Marchuk
02-22-2007, 11:38 PM
My problem with Adaware may be history now. I ran a scan last night and cleaned out 49 "threats" . Machine ran much better after.
Previously Adaware had been referring me to upgrades which were no longer available when I followed their lead. It may well have been because of my ineptitude... I don't know. However last night I did nothing differently than usual and the process worked just fine.
As far as learning to use the computer goes for some , it easier said than done. I have come a long way but realize that there is much more of this iceberg under the water than I can grasp at this point.
Doing something stupid? I am smart enough to realize that I certainly dumb enough to do something stupid and enough of a fraidy cat to want to minimize the possibility of a train wreck arising from my lack of Internet smarts , so I am willing to spend time and treasure to attempt to minimize the possible nasty results rising from
simple minded errors in judgement.
I do believe that we are vulnerable to incoming trash inadvertantly and ########## sent through perfectly ######## messages sent by friends and aquaintances whom we trust . Problem is that unless we take some measure of care , we are exposed to polluting our systems .
Thanks gents for your consideration and kind words. It's all good.
Best... Ian

Charles Burgess
02-23-2007, 02:54 PM
Learn to use your computer and don't do stupid things with it and you will not need a security package.

1) download stuff only from sites you trust

2) don't open/read mail/attachments you are not expecting.

Good guidelines as #1 and #2 priority in computer network security...which includes all internet uses. But you are missing #3-10.

#3 is to have a good firewall and AV, and #4 is popup blockers.

#1 and #2 are necessary to avoid bypassing the others. Even with good security software, if you don't follow #1 and #2 the rest will be of little help.

Without a security suite, a computer usually only lasts 15 minutes on the internet before it becomes compromised.

Charles Burgess
02-23-2007, 02:59 PM
I have been using Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security for two years now.. I am up for upgrade soon, I don't know either should I upgrade, or try something else...
I don't have any problems with PC-cillin, they are tight, and always on top of updates.. It just costly.. $48.00 to $50.00 a year... A year goes by fast...

About the best AV engine on the market. It will catch more than the others, but to be honest none of them is anywhere near 100%.

Today, the real issue is that most of the up to date security software consumes too many clock cycles on any but the most up to date screamin' hardware...high overhead I believe it is called.

02-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Hm. I ran Norton when I first bought a computer, but people here turned me on to AVG. Free is nice, and it's as well reviewed as anything out there. Zone Alarm firewall, also free, and I run Spybot a few times a week and Adaware maybe once a month. Always updated. Adaware did turn up a few things it called critical a few months back. I don't know enough to know just what was infesting, but Adaware zapped them.

I don't do finance or shopping on line. If I did, I'd get more savvy and find out just what all this meant. As it is I like when AVG comes on in the morning and tells me that no virus was detected, and then automatically updates. Kinda cool, even though nothing in my 'puter is of much interest. Just as a matter of principle I don't want strangers mucking about.

"Shields up number one!" LOL

P.S. FWIW when I switched to AVG it found a few things the Norton had missed.