PDA

View Full Version : The Politics of Iraq

jack grebe
02-19-2007, 12:35 PM
By now it should be clear that the Middle East does not want a democratic society and that the Western world does not understand ME style of government/control. Iran has been taking an offensive position concerning Iraq. Should the west just pull out and let Iran take over the whole mess?

LeeG
02-19-2007, 04:09 PM
Iran can't take over Iraq any more than the US had it under control

Gary E
02-19-2007, 04:24 PM
U.S. Hypocrisy on Iran
by Sheldon Richman, February 2, 2007

“It has been clear for some time that Iran has been meddling in Iraq,” says White House spokesman Gordon D. Johndroe.

“We don’t believe that [Iran’s] behavior, such as supporting Shia extremists in Iraq, should go unchallenged,” John Negroponte, the U.S. intelligence boss, added.

Meanwhile, President Bush has authorized American troops to kill Iranians in Iraq if they seem to be engaged in activities hostile to the United States. He’s also sent a couple of carriers to the Persian Gulf in a show of force aimed at Iran.

In response, Iran has said it would enlarge its economic and military assistance to Iraq.

There is something surreal in all this. The U.S. government is warning Iran against meddling in Iraq. But the U.S. government is meddling in Iraq! Is there a clearer case of a pot calling a kettle black?
http://www.fff.org/comment/com0702c.asp (http://www.fff.org/comment/com0702c.asp)

Bruce Hooke
02-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Actually, I think there is a fair amount of interest amongst the residents of the Middle East in having more say in their governments. One of their complaints about the west seems to be that we all to often support governments friendly to us even if they are dictators or monarchs who oppress their own citizens. Also, what they think of as democracy may not look like what we would want as our government.

A major problem is that democracy cannot be pulled out of a hat, and it is hard to gather support for a democracy when one group feels like the rules of the game are tilted against them. Underlying this is the issue that it is hard to build a democracy when the citizens first identify with some sub-group and only secondarily identify with the country as a whole.

All of that said, I don't know what the hell we should do in Iraq. I'm not convinced there is any good solution, but if that is true then we should probably just get out.

At the least, we have greatly increased Iran's influence in the region. I doubt that's what Bush intended, but its what he did.

jack grebe
02-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Iran can't take over Iraq any more than the US had it under control
Why not? they have a hell of alot more experence in tribal warfare then the U.S. does and that is the law of the land in the middle east

LeeG
02-19-2007, 08:10 PM
I would guess that Iraqis would prefer to not be subjects of Iran but that's just a guess.