PDA

View Full Version : Restoring John Aldens "Elliot White" Des. #628

Paul Maselli
11-28-2003, 09:40 PM
The keel on Elliot White is iron. The original keelbolts were 5/8" galvanized iron. Some 67 years young and these bolts are now non-existant.

With cedar on oak construction that is fully bronze fastened both above and below the waterline I'm leaning towards re-fastening the keel with 316L Stainless Steel keel Studs threaded on two ends.

316L is at the high end of the galvanic chart, higher than Bronze, but also farther away from iron. I'm afraid that bronze in direct contact with the iron keel is a definite no-no. There is so much talk about creavice corrosion and SS, but bronze inside iron can't be much better.

Bronze, Stainless Steel, or MONEL.... I only what to do this once.

COMMENTS?????

JeffH
11-30-2003, 02:33 PM
Was at Ned Ackerman's (yep, the one of fame) shop not long ago. He's building a large bronze-fastened schooner with an iron keel, and he chose titanium for the keelbolts. Evidently, cutting the treads was something of a chore, to put it mildly, but he was after the same thing - He only wanted to do it once. Considering the source, you can take that for what it's worth... ;)

Jeff

TimothyB
12-01-2003, 08:46 AM
Wow. Titanium. smile.gif That sure would last a long time!

If you wanted to keep in tune with the galvanic series and only have to swap out your bolts every 10 years or so, then you can just use hot dipped galvanized steel rods, as long as they are 1/2" or better. If you can manage it, $$ wise, you can still get galvanized iron rods from a metal place. Of course, you can imitate our friend here if you have the cash...

I wouldn't use Bronze, SS or Monel.. that iron keel sure has a lot more mass than its bolts!! I've heard of others doing it though, so I might be being overly cautious.. however electrolysis gets started and *poof*.

But, really, swapping out keel bolts every 10 years is not such a big deal. You just replace 1/2 at 10 years, and then 1/2 the next year, and start over at year 20. Especially if you use the push/pull methods with hydraulic jacks in the bilges PULLing the bolts out. You just cut off or unbolt the bottom, weld a tie rod or screw in a fitting to the top, and use 2 hydraulic car jacks to pull them out.

And then there is the peace of mind knowing your keel bolts are less than 10 years old smile.gif

--T

[ 12-01-2003, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: TimothyB ]