PDA

View Full Version : Obama to Howard:

Milo Christensen
02-12-2007, 09:32 AM
If you feel so strongly about the U.S. staying in Iraq, perhaps you should send 20,000 more troops to Iraq.

Yeah, put your boys where your mouth is.

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 09:46 AM
Howards a dopey asslicker mate and a shame on the Australian landscape... cant stand the bloody brown nosing git!... he probably doesnt even realize that Bush will be gone after the next election regardless of the outcome his bumbuddy wont be in power... then what John?... your gonna have some serious damned backtrackin to do REGARDLESS of who gets in the white house! cause from what Im reading none of the contenders intend holding the US troops there for very long... then what John? All the hype an bullshyte of followin the US supportin the US in Iraq will turn and bite you on the ass! good an bloody proper!

Mate hes a bloody wakker! And a perfect suckhole to Bush... personally I hope the buggar DOES retire at the earliest and goes up to live his days at Bush an co's pad in Texas!! You can have him!

He says as he wanders about the desert searching for someone ANYONE to replace him with a shred of dignity and honesty within them... but its such a wasteland in federal politics down here that there is no one the electorate would vote in over him!... the old better the devil you do know than the devil you dont know thing :rolleyes: So no doubt when the next election rolls around Johnny Brownnose Howard will tip his hat into the ring again and dopey Aussie voters will give him the bloody tick... again :mad:

Unlike the US our Prime Minister stays in as long as he chooses to run and as long as the damned public keep voting the dipstick in!! I am however expecting any day now to hear that Bush has changed the rules over there... so he can "stay the distance" and "finish what we started in Iraq and the middle east"... and maybe you to will enjoy the moronic dipstick you have for as long as weve suffered under this bloody wombat!... mmm no on second thoughts the world couldnt handle Bush for that bloody long let alone survive

Oh and no I dont think much of John Howard... sorta like Obama eh? But see Howard wont send in another 20,000 troops cause we probably dont have another 20,000 to send even if the dipstick wanted to!... We are under served in the armed forces along with antiquated armory and equipment and I doubt the Aussie DEFENCE force would have the numbers to send to a place which has buggar all to do with DEFENCE of Australia... ooh and no I dont think much of this Iraq do either :rolleyes:

MAN!! Whoooeee I sounded like Wassa for a tick then!! :D Sorry mate I stole yer thunder!! ;)

Milo Christensen
02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
I just liked Obama's come back to Howard's rather poor form in attacking Obama for wanting us out of Iraq. I'm really starting to like Obama's style, breath of fresh air and all that, what.

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 10:04 AM
Yep from what Ive read (and I will admit its not much but more than Hillary) he seems to be okay well far better than the present wally ;) but then Henry the Orangutung would be better than him :D

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Yes, another (non) vote for Obama from here, too.:D

geeman
02-12-2007, 10:23 AM
SO far I have no problem with Obama.We'll see how it goes.
Is it me or is the press courting Obama?
I've not seen any major effort to discredit him so far.He keeps coming out smelling like a rose ,,,,,,,so far.

Mrleft8
02-12-2007, 10:32 AM
'Twas wise for him to be forthright about smoking dope and blowing lines. Now the muck rakers will actually have to dig for something......

Keith Wilson
02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm really starting to like Obama's style, breath of fresh air and all that . . Me too. He appears to have some integrity, and even something of a sense of humor. I liked his response when somebody asked him if he had inhaled when smoking marijuana as a teenager, and he said, "That was the point."

geeman
02-12-2007, 10:43 AM
It must be tough on the poor reporters to have to report on what at this point "seems" to be an honest man,,,,,,,

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 10:47 AM
And so they bloody well should... have to work for their stories that is... but as they say... "if there is no news we will create the news" and no doubt they will dig up something on him which Im sure he will have some skeletons hidden away in the closet somewhere.. but he does seem the best so far... if that word can be used in conjunction with a polititician :rolleyes:

Stiletto
02-12-2007, 10:49 AM
That encounter made the radio news here.

Good on him, but isnt there an inconsistency with him demanding more troops from Australia to justify Howard's comments, would he be happy if Howard complied?

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Mate I think he was calling howards bluff... howards consisitantly been promoting the Iraq thing while not sending many over well Obama has just said "right dipstick you reckon that then mate you send over 20,000 of your boys and girls" knowing he wouldnt and couldnt

Good tactic I reckon bring the dipstick out into the open so he has to mouth his own words instead of followin Bush's every whim an snicker :mad: Be interesting to see what smug smartassed response Howard turns on for the public tomorrow eh? :rolleyes:

Bruce Hooke
02-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Howard was, to put it politely, not being very diplomatic when he attacked Obama. On the other hand Obama's response was not very diplomatic either, especially when you put that 20,000 in the context of Australia's total population...

MarkC
02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Obama's talk of 'withdrawl of troops in one year' could bolster the insurgency and hurt Australian troops already there in Iraq.

Prime Minister Howard was only refering to that comment. He can comment as there are Australian troops in Iraq.

I dont think it was an attack on Democrats. Merely on their yet-to-be-decided Iraq stance.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Why depend on the Media for all your info?

I liked what Michelle Obama said last evening on 60 Minutes about her husband's quitting smoking (regular cigarrettes), "If anyone out there (on the campaign trail) sees him smoking, call me."

What originally won me over about Obama at the outset of his Senate Primary Campaign were quoted reported in the daily press that DID NOT sound like typical "sound bites". After reading everything he was quoted saying, I never came across a typical "sound bite", but did come across some pleasant wit.

Moby Nick

ishmael
02-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Hillary is going to be the nominee. Obama's rhetoric, no matter how he's trying to capture Lincoln and JFK, is fragile, in a way the speeches of neither of the other two were when they'd reached this point. He's got a bit of juice, but I don't sense it will last. People will start to actually listen to him.

Hillary is going to be nominated because she's got the machine behind her.

The Democratic field is much more littered with interest than the Republican. Who is on the Republican horizen?

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Hillary is going to be the nominee. Obama's rhetoric, no matter how he's trying to capture Lincoln and JFK, is fragile, in a way the speeches of neither of the other two were when they'd reached this point. He's got a bit of juice, but I don't sense it will last. People will start to actually listen to him.

Hillary is going to be nominated because she's got the machine behind her.

The Democratic field is much more littered with interest than the Republican. Who is on the Republican horizen?

Bull****e :rolleyes:

Milo Christensen
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
...Howard ... can comment as there are Australian troops in Iraq...

Oh my, all 700 of them, zero combat casualties.

Send in another 8,000 then, and have the same troops in Iraq to population ratio as the U.S.

ishmael
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
And why is it bull****e?

Look, I've said I don't want Hillary as our pres, many times. I think she's an opportunistic bitch on wheels. Barack is a babe in the woods. We'll see how it plays, but I'm predicting Hillary gets nominated.

Difficult to say for sure how the swell of American politics will bulge. I think a Biden would make a better president than either Hillary or Barack, but he's too honest.

Keith Wilson
02-12-2007, 11:34 AM
Anyone wanting to know more about Obama should read his books. My wife just finished his first book. She has very sensitive BS detectors, and she liked the book. I'll read it.

Jack, I really think you're wrong. If he really has integrity, that's not fragile. I think that most Democrats will realize, when it comes right down to it, that what we need right now is NOT another machine politician, no matter how effective she is in a brawl. If she attacks him strongly in the primaries, she'll only weaken her position. OTOH, pessimism is often justified.

Milo Christensen
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Each of his books, I find out, has sold more than a million copies. That's a lot of people learning a lot about where the man comes from and what he believes in and what he wants to do. I'll have to go to the library for something besides gardening books soon, think I'll take a look.

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 11:39 AM
And why is it bull****e?

Look, I've said I don't want Hillary as our pres, many times. I think she's an opportunistic bitch on wheels. Barack is a babe in the woods. We'll see how it plays, but I'm predicting Hillary gets nominated.

Difficult to say for sure how the swell of American politics will bulge. I think a Biden would make a better president than either Hillary or Barack, but he's too honest.

Bull ****e x 2

ishmael
02-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Well, Keith. I'm interested, still. I haven't read his writing, and have only seen a bit of him, here and there.

If he wants to win, he'll reign in his wife. I heard a brief interview this morning where she was spouting about how going to the gas station as a black man was inherently dangerous.

It's all so strange, and nefarious. Politics.

ishmael
02-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Well considered posts there, Joey. Has anyone ever told you you aren't sixteen anymore?

Figment
02-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Have you met Joe?
He'll be sixteen until he's a hundred and sixteen. That's our Joe.

Figment
02-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes, Obama writes as well as he speaks. His principles are solid, if (understandably) thin on details in that media.

I'm enough of a pessimist to wonder if america can get over what seems to be a default distrust of a bright, articulate person.

Cuyahoga Chuck
02-12-2007, 12:16 PM
" I heard a brief interview this morning where she was spouting about how going to the gas station as a black man was inherently dangerous."

Now, now! let's get this in context.
The question was, did Mrs. Obama ever consider that a black president and his family would be the natural target of every nutcake, racist or otherwise, in creation (the last part is my characterization but it's close to the point).
Mrs. Obama's answer was as you stated. The meaning was "we're tough enough to face that possibility".
I don't know if her husband is up to snuff but, Mrs. Obama would make a dynamite first lady.
You need a vacation in Akron to get rid of all that pessimism.

Nicholas Scheuer
02-12-2007, 01:15 PM
She's just supposed to smile sweetly and say something like "The campaign trail is just like the Yellow Brick Road."

The other part of that comment came up on 60 Minutes last evening; in answer to whether she was worried about assasination she answered, (I paraphrease) "No, he could get shot just going to the gas station."

Welcome to life as it is, for them.

Maybe it's time for us, right here, right now, to put our cute little wooden boats on the back burner and get into changing the politics of America for the better.

Moby Nick

Figment
02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
If we put away our cute little wooden boats, the terrorists will have won.

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by ishmael
If he wants to win, he'll reign in his wife. I heard a brief interview this morning where she was spouting about how going to the gas station as a black man was inherently dangerous.

I may be 16 but at least I don't take things as far out of context as Ish does ;)

This 16 year old actually watched 60 Minutes last night, Obviously the older wiser more pessimistic Ish did not, before he considered his well reasoned posts ;)

john l
02-12-2007, 03:01 PM
everyone's an expert! and entitled to an opinion. i don't know who will run, we'll have to wait and see. but i do know that each of these people do have something valuable to say, to contribute to the dialogue that needs to happen to get this country back on track. so let hillary speak,she has proven to be able to handle whatever anyone can throw at her. and that requires strength and courage. she is definitely capable there. some might say it balls or greed or ego or whatever. that goes with the territory. we can talk about balls and greed and stupidity all we want. all i know is we have this huge sucking sound all around us. all i know is w said in his debate with gore when originally running that he would never, and under no circumstances, use our military for nation building. dial up to today @ $195+mil a day for nation building.. your tax dollars-a good percentage of it going to military industrial oligarcks.
hey if hillary runs interference for someone, getting important issues to the forefront, then great. if people end up believing in her then great, if she sets up someone else, then great. the more people running the merrier. in fact i think it's a strategy on both sides. personnaly , i believe all these early starters with big pocketbooks are going to peak , and bush has done alot for the average person to see through the fog of politics. the public may elevate the underdog, the guy they believe who dosen't have all the money to plaster himself into public dislike. this may even be the problem wiht hilary already. she just isn't fresh enough for the public. i think someone will just walk in to door and around everyone mess to take the nomination.

huisjen
02-12-2007, 03:39 PM
Milo, thanks for the thread.

I've been wondering more about context and exact wording, and I came across this on Reuters:

Obama also had a sharp response for Australian Prime Minister John Howard, a Bush ally who said Obama's proposals would create chaos in the Middle East.

"I think that will just encourage those who want to completely destabilize and destroy Iraq, and create chaos and a victory for the terrorists to hang on and hope for an Obama victory," Howard said on Nine Network television.

Obama said it was "flattering" for a Bush ally to attack him the day after he formally launched his presidential bid but noted Australia had contributed 1,400 troops to the war compared to 140,000 U.S. troops.

"If he's ginned up to fight the good fight in Iraq, I would suggest that he calls up another 20,000 Australians and send them to Iraq," he said. "Otherwise it's just a bunch of empty rhetoric."

Dan

Wild Wassa
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
"If you feel so strongly about the U.S. staying in Iraq, perhaps you should send 20,000 more troops to Iraq."

Can't we just send the US a couple of thousand more coffins and tens of thousands of artificial limbs? ... that would be a lot more useful.

It is attributed to Howard that he said, "A vote for Obama is support for Osama."

John Howard and Brendon Nelson are also saying that the US must not pull out of Iraq or lose in Iraq ... "Australia's national security depends on it." Our national security? ... depends on it?

I've probably got Reds under my bed after the US lost in Vietnam ... I'll get around to checking when I have a spare moment.

When Brendon Nelson the Minister for Defence was asked last night by Tony Jones on ABC Lateline, "If the Democratic Government in America withdrew their troops from Iraq, what would the Australian Government do with their forces. Does that mean that if the US pulls out, that Australian troops will stay in Iraq?"

Nelson couldn't answer the question. You could see that Nelson was very disconcerted by the question. It is as though Nelson had not even thought of the prospect.

When the US cuts and runs from Iraq, I presume we Australians will take over the mantle from the US ... as the new world order saviours and Middle East Crusaders. It is important, no it is vital, yes vital to our national security ... listening to the Fascist Howard.

Warren.

skuthorp
02-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Quite apart from not having another 5000 to send, Nelson could not answer a question like that without checking with his comissar Howard. I've asked it here myself before, and I think Howards whole rationale would collapse if the US pulls out, not to mention his reputation. He's put himself out on a limb, talked big and now he's being asked to pay the ante, And he hasn't got it to pay.

ishmael
02-12-2007, 04:13 PM
If you've got race as your hole card it's bad strategy to turn it over this early. Loudly proclaiming that as a black man it's dangerous to go to the gas station isn't going to play well in Maine, or large parts of the rest of the country. This is politics, not true confessions.

Hillary's a pro, has been around this barn more than once with the best pros in the business, and you can bet on not seeing many such mistakes from her.

I hope Obama beats her, but I'm not holding my breath.

Keith Wilson
02-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Loudly proclaiming that as a black man it's dangerous to go to the gas station Look up the quote. I don't think that's what she was saying. She's not Al Sharpton. One major problem with the political culture in this county is that stupid slips of the tongue or phrases completely out of context are taken as significant and are rehashed ad nauseam. You're contributing to the problem.

skuthorp
02-12-2007, 04:27 PM
If you look at the stats, it's a totally accurate remark. Take the guns out of the picture and it's accurate for parts of Aus.

seanz
02-12-2007, 05:01 PM
It's cheering to hear such a major gaffe as this from the normally shrewd Howard. Makes you wonder what happens if the US pulls out and we don't want those Australian voters to start wondering now do we?
But Obama didn't impress me at all.He said 'bring the troops home' and with the same breath called Iraq 'someone elses civil war'.

ishmael
02-12-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm not arguing the accuracy or inaccuracy of the statement. It's not true in this neck of the woods, and I've lived places where in some neighborhoods it wasn't safe as a white man. Hell, there are white neighborhoods in Bangor where I don't like to linger.

And, of course, Keith, it's out of context. Don't shoot the messenger. It got a lot of replay this morning and like it or not such sound bites can turn things. It came off as discordant and very ironic for a campaign being launched on the message of healing the nation's divides. You can bet she got some coaching today.

WX
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
if I was a Yank, I'd vote for Obama.
I find it mildly interesting that his name is so close in sound to Osama.
I would have loved to see Nelson squirm, he's another horrible samll minded little man.

High C
02-12-2007, 06:37 PM
...I find it mildly interesting that his name is so close in sound to Osama...

Just wait 'til you learn his middle name. :D

seanz
02-12-2007, 07:05 PM
If you were a Yank, and allowed to vote here, the only fair consequence would be if we were allowed to vote there. Same with our would-be GB voters.

Eh?

Another American not quite getting it.I'll hazard a guess that you don't care who the PM of Australia or the PM of New Zealand is and you shouldn't have to.We are very interested in who becomes POTUS because it does matter to us.

Now,can someone explain to me how it is that Cheney is never mentioned as a candidate.Who's going to be brave enough to tell him he can't run.:D

The Bigfella
02-12-2007, 07:21 PM
Milo - we don't have 700 troops in Iraq, we have 1,400. Guess you haven't noticed our other current escapades? Ever heard of East Timor (we had 3,000 there a year or so back, but are scaling down now), Solomon Islands, Afghanistan - or even our troop deployments with the United Nations? We've got about 4,000 of our 51,000 military personnel overseas at the moment and IIRC about another 1,000 or so Federal Police.

Yep - zero battle casualties. Ever thought that that may be related to how our troops "engage" with the population in the areas that they are tasked?

ishmael
02-12-2007, 07:23 PM
The comparisons to JFK seem way overblown. And JFK, ahem, didn't win that election, he stole it. One of the few honorable things Richard Nixon did in politics was not contest the 1960 election. But, water over the dam.

Just what is Obama's platform? I know he's talking anti-war, you'd have to be living under a rock to miss that.

It's too early for me to pay close attention to politics, so I don't know much about the man. Is he repackaging a tired left diatribe? I could care less his color, though it does add an interesting twist. The only blacks we've had run were never in contention. I don't know if Barack's a flash in the pan or not. It's too early. I hope we don't elect him simply because he can put two words together and is different. There's definately a thirst in the country, and the Republicans seem a rather dry well at the moment.

If given the choice between either Obama or Clinton and McCain, I'd vote McCain. He's a bit odd, and is getting on in years, but I think Donn is correct that either of the Democratic front runners is going to energize the Republican base. The fact that Hillary is leading the pack right now isn't terribly surprising. As I said, she's a pro. But gawd, I hope she's defeated. Frankly, I think the primaries are liable to get ugly, and no one does smear politics better than the Clinton dynasty. You can bet if the races are tight Barack's middle name, Huisein, will make it's way into the equation. They're subtle at it, but merciless. People bow at Karl Rove's alter for Machiavellian politics, but Dick Morris was no piker. He, BTW, has a smear of his own going against Hillary.

Ah, American politics. They don't call it hardball for nothing. I vote, try to stay relatively informed, but it's a spectator sport for me.

seanz
02-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Remember, we're facists. We don't care about the rest of the world. It's our way or the highway. The rest of you are simply backwoods hicks with no valuable input. If you had any cajones, you'd all stop doing business with us, and investing here.

This message was beamed direct from the democratic land of the free.
A kinder gentler place.
:p

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 07:27 PM
There's more than one definition of 'right' Norman.

Ill take Norman's 'right' over yours anytime. And by the looks of Dubyas approval numbers and Obamas poll numbers looks like the VOTING public agrees.

Not to right-wing Republicans.

51% is not to much to ask for ;)

I love it when pundits go back almost a half-century to find justification for their dreams.

Hmmmmm a B Rated Actor who performed with a chimp named Bonzo??????

Not to the Republican base, they won't. The Democrats' only hope is the centrist Republicans will outnumber the 'silent majority.'

We will see come election day, mid term elections were a strong indicator and I don't see any RIP (Donnism;) )making better poll numbers than Obama. :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Remember, we're facists. We don't care about the rest of the world. It's our way or the highway. The rest of you are simply backwoods hicks with no valuable input. If you had any cajones, you'd all stop doing business with us, and investing here.

****** ALERT ALERT DONN SPELLED FASCISTS WRONG *****
Must be

7:29 PM Cocktail Hour in Amityville

It's 7:30 PM do you know where your skiff is rotting ? :D

Milo Christensen
02-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Milo - we don't have 700 troops in Iraq, we have 1,400. Guess you haven't noticed our other current escapades? Ever heard of East Timor (we had 3,000 there a year or so back, but are scaling down now), Solomon Islands, Afghanistan - or even our troop deployments with the United Nations? We've got about 4,000 of our 51,000 military personnel overseas at the moment and IIRC about another 1,000 or so Federal Police.

Yep - zero battle casualties. Ever thought that that may be related to how our troops "engage" with the population in the areas that they are tasked?

I should have gone back and edited that earlier comment. It came off the radio, BeeeBeeeCeeee Whirled Raport, IIRC.

I consider the people of Australia to be among our most dependable allies, and our respective leaders to be (well, it's not fit for a family forum).

I think we can all agree, those of us who are being agreeable, that Howard's remark was, shall we say, unwise?

seanz
02-12-2007, 07:47 PM
****** ALERT ALERT DONN SPELLED FASCISTS WRONG *****
Must be

7:29 PM Cocktail Hour in Amityville

It's 7:30 PM do you know where your skiff is rotting ? :D

Don't be ridiculous, Fascists are never wrong.:D

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Don't be ridiculous, Fascists are never wrong.:D

'Twas a good one wasn't it seanz ;) :D

Hoisted by his own petard, always the best way :D

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
You know I really am disappointed... see not so long back if someone say an Aussie like well say Ian up there (Bigfella) made a list type post sayin how many of our armed forces were around the world on duty and indeed the sheer lack of numbers within that force someone some smartass would have jumped back showing quite effectively how small we are in comparrison to the might of the US war machine... but it didnt happen!

Why?? I mean come on theres a perfect primo opportunity to show how superior the US machine is!

Ian has it in a nutshell.... we simply DO NOT have the numbers of armed personel for howard to send 20,000 more to Iraq... its that simple

As to numbers of casualties not only is he again right... strewth I sound like a bloody cheerleader here! :rolleyes: but hes also right in another way.. rarely and I do say RARELY does an Aussie get hit by so called "freindly fire" this is a bit of training our fellas miss out on... see we try to teach them to only fire on NON friendlies... we like each other! :D

But it really is funny how a post about how a presidentual candidate makes a comment to a foreign prime miniter becomes somehow about US politics... its more about International politics AND possible future Internation Affairs :rolleyes: ... so if Osa... Obama is President can we expect even more insulting degrading comments from the white house... not that these were overtly insulting or even degrading but they were a barb directed from Osa... Obama to the PRIME MINISTER of another country and an ally at that!... I wonder at how he intends to treat other countries after he becomes the monkey in the white house?... is he an isolationist? will he attempt to pull all the US back to the US... military Industry whatever? worth thinking about... not really realistic if he does but what then.

But seriously howard is a horsesass... he has no bloody idea of half of what he talks about and each time he opens his mouth hes sounding more and more like his bushy hero :rolleyes: week as piss :mad:

Someone said "wait till you hear his other name" Well what is this Obama gits other name?

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Grand-daddy of flip floppers??????????.

I'll make a deal with you. You list Romney's flip-flops, and I'll start a compendium chronicalling Hillary Rodham's.

You are such a cutie sometimes, I just want to pinch those adorable, naive cheeks.

http://www.truthdig.com/images/avboothuploads/lk_midtermelections_500.gif

High C
02-12-2007, 08:19 PM
Brace yourself for what's coming next, Few. :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Brace yourself for what's coming next, Few. :D

Hmm HiC

Few makes a knee-jerk Hillary comment in a Obama thread ???
HELLO :rolleyes: we are talking about Obama not Hillary. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But you KNEW that HiC didn't ya ;)

High C
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Hmm HiC

Few makes a knee-jerk Hillary comment in a Obama thread ???
HELLO :rolleyes: we are talking about Obama not Hillary. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But you KNEW that HiC didn't ya ;)

As usual, you have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
As usual, you have NO IDEA what I'm talking about. :D

Pssst like when you were scolding Ian about you KNOWING about the Brazilian terrorist bomber in London ? That kind of NO IDEA ? :D :D :D

High C
02-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Whoooooooooooooosh! Right over his shiny head!

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Whoooooooooooooosh! Right over his shiny head!

You honestly think that ? ;)
I've always been faster than you porky.

The Bigfella
02-12-2007, 08:41 PM
I think we can all agree, those of us who are being agreeable, that Howard's remark was, shall we say, unwise?

Yep

Osborne Russell
02-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Is there a way to put a generic Hillary-bash post in every thread in every section? Seems ripe for automation. Aardvaark to zebra.

High C
02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
You honestly think that ? ;)
I've always been faster than you porky.

You know ("no", to spell it your way), it's not always about you. I wasn't talking to you. It had nothing to do with you. And you have no clue what I was talking about. You don't always have to put your foot in your mouth just because someone you dislike is posting. When you don't know what's going on, it's OK to just keep quiet. You look a lot less foolish that way. :rolleyes:

That'll be $135. :p

Osborne Russell
02-12-2007, 08:49 PM
If you had any cajones, you'd all stop doing business with us, and investing here.

"Cajones" means "boxes". Do Australia and NZ have to deal with the US because they need boxes?

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 08:57 PM
You know, it's not always about you.

Yea it is didn't you read the book ? :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid198/p4c9863ffb15eecd5ca8c544b49008603/f0c13f20.jpg

I'll send you a copy. Will that be cash or credit ? :D

ishmael
02-12-2007, 09:00 PM
"Why?? I mean come on theres a perfect primo opportunity to show how superior the US machine is! "

Our machine has never been very good. We've occasionally elected superior men and women to office, but most of it's the same grab ass politics of any representative system. Was it Winston who remarked that a democratic system is worst, except for all the others?

The Chinese worry me. Economic freedom combined with political control is a very powerful challenger to liberalism. I wish we didn't have this need to overpower one another.

seanz
02-12-2007, 09:19 PM
"Cajones" means "boxes". Do Australia and NZ have to deal with the US because they need boxes?

Boxes? We don't need no stinkin boxes!
:D

Osborne Russell
02-12-2007, 09:31 PM
Boxes? We don't need no stinkin boxes!
:D

Are you saying Donn's a bilingual mispeller?

seanz
02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
Are you saying Donn's a bilingual mispeller?

Just like the rest of he can probably spell bad in lots of languages.:)

PeterSibley
02-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Cheney said, long ago, he wouldn't run.

Why would we care who PM's in Oz or NZ? If Howard or Blair could run here, they'd stand a good chance.

My God ...you're right AGAIN !

ishmael
02-13-2007, 08:32 AM
The groundswell is difficult to predict. I saw a good bio of Bobby Kennedy on public TV which made just this point. He wasn't a natural, initially had a very difficult time with the public political persona. The stump was uncomfortable for him. He was aces at running things off the screen, but then as now the country was hungry and he got swept up, started to speak his mind with some eloquence. I think if he hadn't been assassinated he'd have been president in 1968. Not out of any fine character--though I think he was becoming a better man at the time--out of an emotional groundswell. It's a very unpredictable alchemy, politics, this early in the game.

pcford
02-13-2007, 08:50 AM
I think a Biden would make a better president than either Hillary or Barack, but he's too honest.

The senator from MBNA? Pretty dubious. The credit card industry is one of the largest criminal enterprises in this country. Where else can you enter into a contract which obliges you to perform but has few if any, restraints on the other side?

WX
02-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Don, you really are the perfect example of the general world view of a Yank.

Osborne Russell
02-15-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, all this has made me feel better, at least.

What really bites is to have to apologize to people for your country, i.e., because of our numbnuts President. People from other countries always assure me, don't worry, we don't hold it against you; in honesty, we couldn't, because our President is a clown too.

I used to think they were just saying that to be polite but maybe there's something more to it.

Anyway, I thought you people had learned your lesson:

And the band played Waltzing Matilda
As we sailed away from the quay
And amidst all the cheers
The shouts and the tears
We sailed off
for Gal-lip-o-lee

WX
02-15-2007, 04:40 PM
No, we just exchanged one colonial master for another, we've learnt bugger all.
Now I hear we're going to get another Yank spy base in Western Australia.

The Bigfella
02-15-2007, 06:28 PM
No, we just exchanged one colonial master for another, we've learnt bugger all.
Now I hear we're going to get another Yank spy base in Western Australia.

And did you see Garrett squirming in Parliament?

From the Sydney Morning Herald:
the Minister for Foreign Affairs, Alexander Downer, hammered Mr Garrett, quoting from Midnight Oil's anti-bases song US Forces. "The Labor Party thinks that the United States should be defeated in Iraq, it thinks that these joint facilities are really not acceptable in Australia, and yet the Leader of the Opposition tries to pretend that he is a supporter of the US alliance," he said.
The Defence Minister, Brendan Nelson, also reproached Mr Garrett for his sentiments in a book Mr Garrett penned 20 years ago, Political Blues.

Garret must be keeping his powder dry?

Osborne Russell
02-15-2007, 08:39 PM
we've learnt bugger all.

Is that a unit of measurement?

WX
02-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Osborne, considering we keep getting shafted...quite possibly.
Bigfella, yeah, Garrett is just another politician now. No real opinion or ethics, just the party line.

The Bigfella
02-16-2007, 12:48 AM
Garrett today:

"Twenty-five and thirty years ago, like a lot of other Australians I was involved in actions and activities across this country, of course you change your mind about some things over time, no one listening to this interview would expect otherwise, "Mr Garrett said.

Well, I've got to agree with him there - back when Nixon's VP (Rockefeller) was visiting Sydney in the mid 70's, his motorcade went past me when I was on my way to a demo. We were no more than 10' apart and his window was down - we made eye contact - and he learnt some new Aussie words. My views have matured somewhat since.