PDA

View Full Version : Meerkat report?

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
I can't stay awake much longer...anyone heard anything?

Rick Tyler
02-11-2007, 11:17 PM
David might be a little dehydrated. Lew is asking the nursing facility staff to get permission to hang an IV. I've called the hospice company. It's making Dave uncomfortable, but it's not an immediate emergency. Go ahead and go to bed, Phillip.

Ed Harrow
02-11-2007, 11:32 PM
May we all be blessed with such friends.

Hal Forsen
02-12-2007, 12:57 AM
May we all be blessed with such friends.

Amen to that!!

Lew Barrett
02-12-2007, 01:26 AM
Sorry to report this tonight.

Turns out he is dehydrated, but with advanced tumors and lesions as he has, water actually feeds the tumors, so they just want him to take in what he takes in, if that makes sense. No drip, no urging to hydrate or eat. He's catheterized as well, and he's having problems with that.
Bigger issues are getting him medicated (paliative medication) correctly, keeping his anxiety at bay, that sort of thing. It would be irresponsible (and frankly ill-informed) of me to suggest how this should be approached, but I'd have expected him to be drugged beyond the ability to communicate by now. Perhaps that's the next step.

This will be dual posted to MN thread.

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 02:37 AM
Sorry to report this tonight.

Turns out he is dehydrated, but with advanced tumors and lesions as he has, water actually feeds the tumors, so they just want him to take in what he takes in, if that makes sense. No drip, no urging to hydrate or eat. He's catheterized as well, and he's having problems with that.
Bigger issues are getting him medicated (paliative medication) correctly, keeping his anxiety at bay, that sort of thing. It would be irresponsible (and frankly ill-informed) of me to suggest how this should be approached, but I'd have expected him to be drugged beyond the ability to communicate by now. Perhaps that's the next step.

This will be dual posted to MN thread.

Mate?? I didnt set him off did I? shyte I hope bloody not... not takin anything on meself I enjoyed the call but man I hope I didnt say something dumbasshyte an set him off... buggarbumbastard wish Id never bloody rang him now shoulda just sent a bloody card :mad: Damn I can be a dumbass sometimes! :( I just didnt bloody think I mean he would be bloody anxious as all flamin hell wouldnt he?!! FRIGGIN DAMNANBLASTITALL!!

Think Shane think

buggar

buggar

buggar

Cant have helped havin a surprise call from a dopey buggar downunder eh? shyte your a bloody dipstick shane

Okay I now officially feel as though Im a right royal mug... I will keep quiet from now on an just hold tight an send me love to all :(

Phillip Allen
02-12-2007, 03:39 AM
I'm up again Shane...I doubt it was you...I sat by mother while she reverted back to the German she learned as a child and stopped speaking before she was twelve...she died at 86 and her mind wondered away from us as she fought to avoid the unavoidable.

We all came to the same conclusion (independently) that regardless of how lucid the mind may be, each person must deal with some demons at that time. Our business is just to stand by and keep them comfortable when we can and let go when we must.

Paul Girouard
02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Dingo I as well doubt your call had that effect, as Meer would have liked the call.

A close friend of ours just pasted over the bar last month , she like Meer had cancer. She asked my wife " Are we gonna go Boogie" as in go dancing , 25 years ago , as a group we used to go out dancing, so it was Sharon's way of making everyone confortable in a bad situation , so mate call away!

This is a pretty ,Dah , public greaving ! And ya know it's been a jounrey.

I some how have misplaced my speel chekker on IE so eh a few misspells may pop up:D

Lew Barrett
02-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Of course, not you Shane. Bad catheter as it turns out. Your call was absolutely without incident. Not a bit of an issue at all.

On the other hand, here's a quick story: Back around Christmas time, I walked him a block and a half; sort of made him do it thinking he needed some movement and to start trying to build just a bit of muscle strength. He complained the whole time. Turns out his back had been invaded and his hip was absolutely killing him. He should already have been wheelchair mobile only. I can't tell you how badly I've felt about that; pushing him when he was already unable to move. After his admission to the hospital, we found out about his back. It's been in my mind since.
I have forgiven myself, but it has been a bitter lesson about second guessing his condition.
Lew

katiedobe
02-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Let him know we are all thinking of him and that he is the boss of his care.

You are doing a great job a being a friend. I don't know him well enough to come visit or I would. I will be flying into PDX Tomorrow to spend time with my sick mom and I could come up; but I don't know if it would be appropriate.
PM me your cell number so I have it in case I do make it to Seattle to visit my friend Barry.
Thanks

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Of course, not you Shane. Bad catheter as it turns out. Your call was absolutely without incident. Not a bit of an issue at all.

Lew

You tryin to make me feel worse lew?? :eek: I mean I call someone on the other side of the world an its "not a bit of an issue at all"? "absolutely without incident"?? I MEAN I TRIED!!! Seriously I did try... I tried with the first bloke then the second then the third... got the second one going too!! ;)

But me? without incident?? strewth I gots a damned rep here mate!! :rolleyes:

So he enjoyed it did he? good on him!! Im still wonderin if he actually worked out who the hell it was :D I tend to talk a mile a minute an with the accent it tends to blow people away a fair bit specially if theyre not used to hearing someone yammerin on in Aussie ;) its a true wonder it wasnt highlighted in the news! Can see the headlines now "Local yokel David Le blanc gets a call from Aussie mate entire staff in proxisms god help us all says whatsisname who spoke with the caller" :)

But man without incident? MATES DONT YER BELIEVE A WORD LEW SAYS!!! Hes just tryin to make me feel better you know bullshyteing an tellin tall tales!! You know me!! I am an incident waitin to happen!!

gawd me creds gone south :( what have you done woe woe woe :o

On the other hand... sounds like you Rick an Bill may need to start forcing a few issues regarding his care eh? I mean if he needs better care then they must be made to give it to him if he needs more morphine then dahmnitall he gets more bloody morphine!! :mad:

As for you an walkin with him... mate as far as I know David bein who he is chose to walk with you he isnt one to do something he didnt want to... probably placating you!!... but you werent to know so dont kick yourself enough regrets in life without adding to an already full basket ol son... and hell youve completely out done yourself since then! Remember angels wings mate? go read it and then take it as you standin with the angels wings from far off people hoverin above you... you reckon those angels do that with just anyone? not a bloody chance!! Your a legend Lew :cool:

ahem now Ive given you a watermelon to replace yer noggin :D Im off to have a nap! ;)

Cheers!

Vince Brennan
02-12-2007, 12:02 PM
A "Kinder, Gentler Dingo"? The mind quails at the concept! The wallaby all will burrow in shame and the wombats will take to the trees to avoid the disgrace, the cookas will no longer burra and Gawd only knows what Big Red will do! Heaven forfend!

(Besides, what flamin' creds?:eek:;))

Rick Tyler
02-12-2007, 01:37 PM
They upgraded his painkiller drip rate last night. The hospice nurse told me that she was praying on her way over to see David that it was just a catheter problem because he was already on so much morphine that she wasn't sure she could control his pain with higher dosages. They also increased Dave's anti-anxiety meds.