PDA

View Full Version : Well it was bound to happen (thanks Lew for boat pictures)

Paul Pless
02-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I finally stumbled on big power boat cruiser that I like. (versus the sail boats that usually grab my attention)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p8e8a82bf33a439ee68f8da90adc1c210/eab52b73.jpg

Yowzer! What a boat!!!

Nanoose
02-11-2007, 09:11 PM
Beauty is so in the eye of the beholder, isn't it.

Uuuuuuuuuuggggllyyy, if ya ask me!

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I point out, Paul, that 1958 chevies were the cat's meow for almost a whole year...

Katherine
02-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Maybe I can finally talk him into a nice motor sailor. :D

Phil, the Owens has twin 327's.

Wild Dingo
02-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I dont find any boat really UGLY... but what I do find is some boats are just plain weird... and thats one of them

Not ugly but not you know sexywexy either... now Lews boat on the other hand... mmmm if I were a stinkpotter that would be me baby right quick!! real sexy :cool: In fact I could very easily convert to stinkpotter VERY VERY EASILY if I were to spend more than a few seconds around Rita :eek: ooooooooohhh yes indeedydoody I could :cool:

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
The bow and fordeck are nice looking but that aft end and the bridge deck ewwwwww :rolleyes:

Oh and the teardrop theme is a bit ........... overdone, ya think ? :eek:

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 09:21 PM
Maybe I can finally talk him into a nice motor sailor. :D

Phil, the Owens has twin 327's.

A MOTOR SAILOR!!! (I'm so dissapointed...and now I'm depressed)

Kate...motor sailors are for retired car salesmen who've never been out of sight of land...

Lew Barrett
02-11-2007, 09:21 PM
I like it but it is a complete oddball. Built in 1948 at the Shain yard. As an aside, after this boat was built, Shain moved to "Marco" on Seattle's Ship Canal, where Dave Fleming, Pat Ford and Roger Morris all worked in the following years.
The transom is called a turtle back, and is a distinguishing Shain feature. This boat also has a canoe bow, the shape being clearly visible in the photo, but the details are wild close up; all compound curves, it's the kind of shape you'd need a Jay Greer to make today.
Twin Crown power, V drives. In the midst of a slow, user style restoration. This model is the prototype of a style called "Trimmership." It's attributed to Monk, same as Rita, but there's always been debate about the Trimmership's being Monk designs. Shain definitely did do builds on Monk drawings though, so....maybe. I'm with you though Paul; I like it; super deco, right down to the teardrop portholes. Detailing on this boat is typical west coast; simple, utility style, a lot of sailboat interior cues down below. I'll get you some more detailed pics by and by.

Katherine
02-11-2007, 09:23 PM
I was trying to compromise. Relationships ya know. :p

Mrleft8
02-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Remember folks..... This is a guy who thinks Corvettes are cool.....

Lew Barrett
02-11-2007, 09:25 PM
The bow and fordeck are nice looking but that aft end and the bridge deck ewwwwww :rolleyes:

Oh and the teardrop theme is a bit ........... overdone, ya think ? :eek:

You don't like the teardrop portholes?:eek: :confused: :)

It's definitely different. One of those boats that has a lot of presence in person; the pictures really don't do it justice.

I remember them saying something about "following seas" but I don't remember exactly what it was:D

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2007, 09:29 PM
You don't like the teardrop portholes?:eek: :confused: :)

I like them but not the total teardrop theme, a little teardrop is a good thing anymore and it makes me start to cry ;)

Lew Barrett
02-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Kind of a Seattle thing, I guess.

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I was trying to compromise. Relationships ya know. :p

New TV show had a line about compromise and marriage.

"She wanted to get a cat
I didn't want a cat
So we compromised and ...... (wait for it)

got a cat:D

BrianW
02-11-2007, 09:33 PM
I can appreciate the style, given the age. Anymore pictures?

Lew Barrett
02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
I can appreciate the style, given the age. Anymore pictures?

I do, will get them up tonight, Just goit a call from David though, he's having trouble, so we're out of here, will report..

elf
02-11-2007, 09:37 PM
Ug-ly!!! I hope I never have to shoot it, I've never handled a gun!

Joe (SoCal)
02-11-2007, 09:39 PM
I do, will get them up tonight, Just goit a call from David though, he's having trouble, so we're out of here, will report..

:( please

Katherine
02-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Did I ever mention that my pets like Paul better then they do me?:rolleyes:

Picking a sailboat design to build is pretty much up to Paul. I just reserve the right to veto.:D

Katherine
02-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I do, will get them up tonight, Just goit a call from David though, he's having trouble, so we're out of here, will report..Crap.:( Give him our love.

coelacanth2
02-11-2007, 09:56 PM
I think
corvettes are kinda cool, too, although lhe latest ones are awfully refined and businesslike. Huge bellowing BB and complete lack ofrefinement, that's the ticket. Of course, having something a trifle civilized or everyday is necessary. I'd love to see more pics of the boat, though. Thanks.
Please tell Meer I'm praying for him, and miss his postings. I don't always agree with him, but he does make me think ( which is hard to do-just ask my family)

Rick Tyler
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
The Nevermore is prettier in person. It's such an obvious application of art deco to boat design that I found myself liking it. Having said that, it would be more practical with a flatter transom and less radical curves, but you could probably say that about a lot of women, too. (Sorry, ForumWomen, but I had trouble controlling myself just then.)

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
How long till Lew gets to the hospital...?

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 10:03 PM
The Nevermore is prettier in person. It's such an obvious application of art deco to boat design that I found myself liking it. Having said that, it would be more practical with a flatter transom and less radical curves, but you could probably say that about a lot of women, too. (Sorry, ForumWomen, but I had trouble controlling myself just then.)

well I wouldn't have passed it up either...

Rick Tyler
02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
How long till Lew gets to the hospital...?

It's about a 20-30 minute trip from his house. I just tried his cell and didn't get an answer. I'll try again in a few minutes.

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm turning orange...may have to check in in the morning

Paul Pless
02-11-2007, 10:05 PM
it would be more practical with a flatter transom and less radical curves, but you could probably say that about a lot of women, too. (Sorry, ForumWomen, but I had trouble controlling myself just then.)

LOL!!!:D :D :D

Btw Rick, while I got you here, when was the last time you had to throw someone out a window?:D
or would that be defenastrater?

Katherine
02-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Flat is boring.

bamamick
02-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Not the dark side!

Just kidding. I have a power boat. I have kayaks made of plastic. I have all sorts of boats. The pictures that Lew puts up are very nice. I just tend to think about heavy maintenance when I see them, but there is no denying they are pretty. I also like the comuter boats from the east coast. Nice looking boats.

Mickey lake

PatCox
02-11-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm not snobby; I'd cut off my left nut for it, its beautiful. I'd name it, if it were mine, the Anna Nicole. I am serious. Everyone is just accustomed to the style of those commuter boats from the 20s and 30s on the east coast. Bute seriously, if you were commuting to work in the Chrysler building, this is the boat that would be appropriate, or one of those fantastic creations from Lake Tahoe.

I was on the Sequoyah once, Roosevelts boat, Teddy, I mean. The commuters taken all in all, if you never saw one before, weren't all that special. I like the rumrunners.

Rick Tyler
02-11-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm sure Lew will report in soon, but I did get a chance to talk to him at Dave's bedside. We think Dave might be a little dehydrated, so not a major health crisis. Lew is going to ask the staff to call a doctor about starting an IV. I've been in touch with the hospice organization about getting a doctor out to see Dave tomorrow. More news when Lew gets back to his keyboard...

bamamick
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Presidential yacht down at Gulfport, Mississippi. The 'Frances Fayard'. Owned by a trucking company guy. I had a friend who worked as a deck hand on her and he told me that she was used as an entertainment vehicle for politicians and the like. She was a beautiful boat but I honestly don't have a clue what happened to her.

Mickey Lake

Lew Barrett
02-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Re: Forevermore. I'll get the picturess up for Brian in a day or two.
Re: David. Look to Meerkat news thread.

Lew Barrett
02-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Presidential yacht down at Gulfport, Mississippi. The 'Frances Fayard'. Owned by a trucking company guy. I had a friend who worked as a deck hand on her and he told me that she was used as an entertainment vehicle for politicians and the like. She was a beautiful boat but I honestly don't have a clue what happened to her.

Mickey Lake

That stuff's all in a different league from Forevermore or Rita. Our boats seem like big yachts until you're on a big yacht. I was on the Olympus and the captain and I were talking. I reminded him that I was the owner of Rita. He said; oh Rita...lovely little boat. Just like I used to say to people with boats smaller than mine. His comment cured me of that habit.
Not to be outdone though, I did say: "Well, I own her, I'm not just hired to chauffeur her around." Point being though that presidential yachts and the ones out today with us are entirely different beasts.

Rick Tyler
02-12-2007, 02:23 AM
BIG yachts... I saw a cable show on the now-retired British Royal family yacht Britannia. Now that was a yacht...

John B
02-12-2007, 05:08 AM
I could love that boat.

Thanks for the update on Meer, Lew.

Bill R
02-12-2007, 06:18 AM
I dunno, I think I like it. It is definately distictive.

Wild Dingo
02-12-2007, 07:58 AM
I dunno,... It is definately distictive.

Thats what I said... only more defined :cool: or is that refined?? :confused: Any its weird enough to be distinctive definantly ;)

Id really REALLY like a gander at that assend :cool:

Joe (SoCal)
02-12-2007, 08:47 AM
I finally stumbled on big power boat cruiser that I like. (versus the sail boats that usually grab my attention)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p8e8a82bf33a439ee68f8da90adc1c210/eab52b73.jpg

Yowzer! What a boat!!!

Paul from the same thread

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/pe113c3532226f0e1a127a14139ded725/eab53019.jpg

See the difference ?????
If you don't there is no hope ;)

Noah
02-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I personally love the look of that boat. Nice find Paul. She fits perfectly for the age. Don't listen to all these fools that like "Salty"...let them pretend to be pirates.

Paul Pless
02-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Joe, its kinda funny, the vast majority of my boating experience has been in power boats. Other than canoes, the only types of boats I've actually owned have been various styles and types of fishing boats. But, for some reason the 'romance' of sail has always been there for me. Its a rare powerboat that really catches my eye, and forces me to turn from looking at a sailboat.

The real short list of powerboats I really really love are these two:

Aphrodite

http://www.brooklinboatyard.com/aphrodite/Picture045.jpg

and Baby Bootlegger

http://www.seqair.com/Other/Bootlegger/Baby1.jpeg

here's a Bootlegger replica

http://www.mbbw.com/brokerage/FastwClass/fastwi3.jpg