1 can of kidney beans
1 can of navy beans
1 can of mushroom pieces
1 can of diced mexican tomatoes
some chili powder
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

All in the crock pot for a few hours. I'll let you know if it is any good.

Chad

huisjen
02-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Where's the hobo in the ingredients list? Is that what hot dogs are made out of these days?

Dan

paladin
02-11-2007, 12:55 PM
and where did the spices come from?

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 12:56 PM
maybe someone gave him a bum stew

cs
02-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Well anyway so far it smells good.

Chad

Ron Joslin
02-11-2007, 03:01 PM
I call that kind of thing "Stone Soup" like in the childrens story of the same name and cook like that all the time. I dont know about the mollasses. The last time I added mollasses to a pot of beans it tasted bitter. Perhaps I need to get a fresh bottle.

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 03:26 PM
Ron, was the mollasses stored standing up or on its side...if not stored on its side it can turn bitter and sarcastic

Ron Joslin
02-11-2007, 03:49 PM
It was (is) upright in a glass bottle with a metal screw on lid. Its allmost empty, so I just added mollasses to my shopping list. SWIMBO said to store it lid down (upside down and air tight). Thanks Phillip

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
I was just JOKING!

Wild Dingo
02-11-2007, 05:12 PM
1 lb beef stew meat
6 hot dogs
2 sliced carrots
1 sliced bell pepper
Onions
some dark mollasses
1 can of kidney beans
1 can of navy beans
1 can of mushroom pieces
1 can of diced mexican tomatoes
some chili powder
Salt
Pepper
Garlic powder

All in the crock pot for a few hours. I'll let you know if it is any good.

Chad

Jeeeeeez Chad yer hobos live high on the hog dont they? :eek: Man thats a feast!! now our swaggies bein our version of the hobo do something like this

Meat... anything handy
canned stuff... anything handy
condiments... anything handy

Toss together cook till yer cant wait anymore... close yer eyse open yer gob an eat till its all gone

But boy your hobos must be fat buggars ;)

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 05:15 PM
lots of fat bums but prolly not fat hobos... :)

paladin
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Damn, Shane...I thought your hobos ate nuthin but jumbuck stew....:D

ishmael
02-11-2007, 05:27 PM
I've never known a hobo with that kind of goods. Some dry beans, maybe. This is a feast for a down and outer.

Sounds kinda interesting.

The loss in modern culture. Basic civility. My grandmammas prepared extra food and left it on the stoop for those in trouble. Sometimes they took it to families in need. My families were relatively well off during our big depession; not rich, but not starving. Leaving a bit on the porch was a common and good thing. Close to thirty percent of the populous were out of work. When a hobo came to the door, you gave him a meal. Not to make it an ideal of human compassion, but people were kinder.

cs
02-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Well I didn't know what else to call it. I was just putting stuff together and seeing if it worked. Guess what? It worked.

Chad

Phillip Allen
02-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Chad, I would suspect your version of hobo stew to contain all the parts of MRE's the guys don't eat.

Yours is Hoboken stew