PDA

View Full Version : One Hit Wonders

Memphis Mike
02-10-2007, 11:29 PM
4 Non Blondes

I've always thought their 1993 hit "What's Up" is one of the prettiest rock ballads of all time. It's a shame they apparently disappeared from the scene.

I've been learning to play this one today. Now all I need is a little hot chickie singer.:D

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/print.php?what=tab&id=89035

Hwyl
02-11-2007, 06:43 AM
The oddest one hit for me was "Spirit in the sky".

One day when I was out driving I became convinced that it was our Norman Bernstein, Google soon put paid to that theory.

Hwyl
02-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Found 4 Non blondes on YT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3CRtzm14b0&mode=related&search=

ishmael
02-11-2007, 07:07 AM
From memory: "Brandy, you're fine girl, what a good wife you would be, but my life my love and my lady is the sea." What was that band? Someone turned a pretty good lyric ballad for just that one song. The rest of their stuff, from what I heard, was real crap. I mean awful.

Paul Pless
02-11-2007, 07:31 AM
MM, That chick band was pretty cool, I've still got a couple of their albums. They also did a couple of of Zepellin covers on a compilation album. I saw them at a festival concert in B'ham and have since often wondered what happened to them. I always thought they were more than just a pop band. 'Course, ten years done gone by now...

jack grebe
02-11-2007, 08:04 AM
From memory: "Brandy, you're fine girl, what a good wife you would be, but my life my love and my lady is the sea." What was that band? Someone turned a pretty good lyric ballad for just that one song. The rest of their stuff, from what I heard, was real crap. I mean awful.
Looking Glass

Beowolf
02-11-2007, 09:33 AM
That Looking Glass tune is a good one. I enjoy having it stuck in my head from time to time.

My favorite has to be "Joey" from Concrete Blonde. I've got most of their albums and it's unfortunate that their work never really coincided with the "radio format" as they've got multiple albums jammed with awesome work. There was a time that they had a pretty good foothold in the "College Radio" scene though.

80's were all but defined by the one hit wonders...

Til Tuesday, Kagagoogoo (Pretty sure I misspelled that one), Naked Eyes, Toni Basil, Prince (Just thought I'd see if you were paying attention ;) ), The Tubes, Level 42, Squeeze...

All good stuff.

Later

Jeff

ccmanuals
02-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Always been one of my favorites.

http://www.artistdirect.com/Images/Sources/AMGCOVERS/music/cover200/drd000/d050/d05050f08j5.jpg

Phil Heffernan
02-11-2007, 10:10 AM
I put What's Up on my famous compilation (2005) "Music for Guys" Vol 5: Music for Dolls"...One of my best;) :cool:

PH

Leon m
02-11-2007, 10:11 AM
"In the Summer Time" by Mongo Gerry (sp).

Mrleft8
02-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh.... Man..... I thought you were talking about that totally righteous pot that's going around!:D

peb
02-11-2007, 11:43 AM

Looking Glass, and this song is one of my favorites. The rest of their stuff was crap.

Flying Orca
02-11-2007, 11:52 AM
My favorite has to be "Joey" from Concrete Blonde.

I'd never heard this song before, but oddly enough, just this week one of my bandmates put it on the "stuff to learn" list. Her rendition was pretty good.

80's were all but defined by the one hit wonders... Til Tuesday, Kagagoogoo (Pretty sure I misspelled that one), Naked Eyes, Toni Basil, Prince (Just thought I'd see if you were paying attention ;) ), The Tubes, Level 42, Squeeze...

Squeeze? One-hit wonders? On what planet? :eek: Difford and Tilbrook were perhaps the most successful pop songwriting duo since Lennon and McCartney! You're probably thinking of Tempted, their best chart success in the USA IIRC, but they had a ton of other hits - Another Nail For My Heart, Pulling Mussels From The Shell, Cool For Cats, Black Coffee In Bed, Is That Love, and that's just off the top of my head...

As for the Tubes, not sure they belong in the one-hit category, either. I seem to recall at least a couple of their songs charting well - Talk To Ya Later and She's A Beauty spring to mind - but they were around for quite a while and actually quite influential in a Talking Heads-ish kind of way.

Right, back under my rock. ;)

Memphis Mike
Jeff, I agree with you on Concrete Blonde. I've got a live album recorded in Brazil with "Joey" on it. It's a great album.

Katherine
Great, now that song's stuck in my head. :rolleyes:

jack grebe
02-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Seasons in the Sun.......Who did that? I always liked that one

Flying Orca
02-11-2007, 11:57 AM

The artist was Terry Jacks & the Poppy Family. A musical chum of mine is really into Terry Jacks.

TimH
02-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Baz Luhrmann - Sunscreen ;)

Bob Adams
02-11-2007, 01:08 PM

Terry Jacks. Oh God, now this one is stuck in my head....the horror, the horror.

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-11-2007, 01:43 PM
:eek:

Looking Glass, Terry Jacks, Norman GREENBAUM I knew all those artists and can probably still fake singing along w/ their songs!

Til Tuesday... Now THERE is a story. 1991, (X)W is 5+months preggers w/ daughter. I here they are playing in Baltimore at Max's on Broadway, this little standup club. W says "what's a standup club?" (no lie!) I tell her, ya standup! She doesn't believe me. I really like their album that came out in 86 and want to see them. So we go. In the sleet, rain,snow,wintry mix. 2 hours. We get there and sure enough there are like 20 bar stools in the whole freakin place! We score two though...

Sit through a mediocre opening act. Sit some more. She on a bar stool. With no back support. FINALLY Til Tuesday comes out. Aimee Mann has this wild almost punk haircut that is pretty cutting edge, but not bad...

W turns to me and says "I sat here for TWO hours and she comes out looking like she stuck her head in a F'ing BLENDER!???":D

Aimee Mann was henceforth Forever known as "Blenderhair" in our house!

Oh and BTW, Aimee Mann is married to the musician Michael Penn brother of Sean. They did a duet of Bruce Springsteens song REASON TO BELIEVE
that is really good. (NOT THE SAME as the Rod Stewart song)

Flying Orca
02-11-2007, 01:48 PM
She was also the first-ever guest vocalist on a Rush album, contributing backups to a fine song called Time Stand Still. Not sure how that came about, but I like the results.

brad9798
02-11-2007, 01:58 PM
Here's one for you:

Martin Briley (sp?) SALT IN MY TEARS

Leta Ford- KISS ME DEADLY

Chris DeBurg- DON'T PAY THE FERRYMAN.

Kajagoogoo- TOO SHY

Devo- WHIP IT

Thomas Dolby- SHE BLINDED ME WITH SCIENCE

Iron butterfly- IN-GADDA-DA-VIDA

Toni Basil- MICKEY

Right Said Fred- I'M TOO SEXY

Spandau Ballet- TRUE

Divinyls- TOUCH MYSELF

T'Pau- HEART AND SOUL

Eddy Grant- ELECTRIC AVENUE

And tons more that I don't have time to type at this point ... stay tuned.

:)

cs
02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Hey Brad, that is Lita not Leta Ford and she wasn't a one hit wonder. I mean she had "Back to the Cave" and "Close My Eyes Forever".

Chad

brad9798
02-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Oh, yea ... you are right!

But close my eyes with a duet with Ozzie!

jack grebe
02-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Green Grass and High Tides....another one I liked, they are still touring as of last yr:eek: .......by now they must call it the Geritol tour:D

Rick Tyler
02-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I Can See Clearly Now by Johnny Nash
Radar Love by Golden Earring

EDIT: I just Wikied Golden Earring to find out that they were the bee's knees in the Netherlands. And they had two more sort-of-hits in the US. I'm going to stick with my evaluation though -- the only song the average rock fan would remember is Radar Love, which, by the way, is on my top-10 road music list.

Memphis Mike
02-11-2007, 06:29 PM
I just googled Golden Earing. That's a surprise that they are still tourung.

Flying Orca
02-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Radar Love by Golden Earring

What is with everyone here? Just 'cause you only ever heard one song by a band, you figure that makes them a one-hit wonder? Chris de Burgh, give me a break - he had a HUGE following in Europe! Golden Earring had at least one other North American hit, a little song you might remember called Twilight Zone, never mind THEIR European success...

I mean, if your only criterion is that an artist had only one top-40 hit on the US charts, what about Jimi Hendrix? (OK, I actually went to look this up after thinking of Hendrix. Add Frank Zappa, Lou Reed, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, and Beck to that list, just for starters.) Sheesh.

I don't have an exact definition at hand, and IIRC it's been a topic of some debate in music crit circles, but I would think it makes sense to exclude artists with long(ish) careers, a substantial following, and considerable influence on their peers. :cool:

stumpbumper
02-11-2007, 06:41 PM
You Were on My Mind
by We Five

It was before most of you guy's time - like just before the Beatle era.

paladin
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Jet Black.......by the Jets......:D
We'll sing in the sunshine...Gale Garnett
I'll never find another you, and A World of our own......the Seekers
Dominuqe......The singing Nun
The eve of Destruction...Barry McGuire
Red Rubber Ball......The Cyrcle
Simple Song of Freedom.....Tim Hardin
Gotta travel on....Billy Hardin
Sit Down, I think I love you....The Mojo Men
The whistelin' Gypsy.....The Clancy Brothers and Todd Makem
and Scott McKenzies only Solo hit...Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair(If your going to San Francisco) Written by John Phillips, Mama's and Papa's and given to Scott because he was afraid if he went with the group he would have no residuals to fall back on....
Four Strong Winds....Ian and Sylvia

Hwyl
02-11-2007, 06:57 PM
You Were on My Mind
by We Five

It was before most of you guy's time - like just before the Beatle era.

Exactly the same arrangement was a hit by Crispin St Peter in the U.K. I think he was "groomed for success" performer

stumpbumper
02-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Exactly the same arrangement was a hit by Crispin St Peter in the U.K. I think he was "groomed for success" performer

Didn't he have some hits over here too? Was one of them The Pied Piper?

Beowolf
02-11-2007, 09:32 PM
What is with everyone here? Just 'cause you only ever heard one song by a band, you figure that makes them a one-hit wonder? Chris de Burgh, give me a break - he had a HUGE following in Europe! Golden Earring had at least one other North American hit, a little song you might remember called Twilight Zone, never mind THEIR European success...

I mean, if your only criterion is that an artist had only one top-40 hit on the US charts, what about Jimi Hendrix? (OK, I actually went to look this up after thinking of Hendrix. Add Frank Zappa, Lou Reed, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Iggy Pop, and Beck to that list, just for starters.) Sheesh.

I don't have an exact definition at hand, and IIRC it's been a topic of some debate in music crit circles, but I would think it makes sense to exclude artists with long(ish) careers, a substantial following, and considerable influence on their peers. :cool:

Uhhh... So am I still cool with Concrete Blonde?

BTW...Next up on your "must learn" list...

Tomorrow Wendy
Sky is a Poisonous Garden
Everybody Knows

Brad...Kajagoogoo...thanks.

I'm pretty certain that "Liar" was the ONLY song that charted for Henry Rollins. Can we throw him on the list?

Oh, and..

What about Moving Pictures (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself :rolleyes: )

Later

Jeff

Beowolf
02-11-2007, 09:38 PM
Nix the Spandau Ballet too, they charted tons of songs in Europe.

How about the following though?

Boomtown Rats?

Big Country?

Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark (OMD)?

And perhaps the quintessential O.H.W...

Dexy's Midnight Runners

Ironic...Bob Geldoff and Thomas Dolby are on the list, yet Pink Floyd is not.

Ooh! This one was on the radio today...

Philip Baily!!!

seanz
02-12-2007, 01:51 AM
brad 9798
The Divinyls were pretty big in Oz in their day they had more than one hit I'm sure.Christina Amphlett (lead singer) what can I say one of the best OZ has produced should be as well known as Bon Scott but isn't.

Paladin
whistling gypsy-the clancy brothers and tommy makem

Beowolf
you can put Henry Rollins on a list of one hit wonders if you want too but if he ever finds you are in sooooo much trouble.:D :D :D

:eek: Christina Amphlett ,The Clancy Brothers and Henry rollins in one post.It's just not natural I tell you!!:eek: :D

landlocked sailor
02-12-2007, 02:02 AM
What's Goin' On?
Kiss Me Deadly
My two favorite ohw! Rick

brad9798
02-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Sorry guys! I can only speak of my personal (US-based) experience ... :eek:

YES- OMD ...

How about Falco- Rock Me Amadeus?

The Waitresses- Don't put another dime in the jukebox

More recently (and this is a bet) ... Three Doors Down- Superman

Of course, Jeff- Big Country with Big Country :D

Oh my ... how could I forget the FIRST video EVER on MTV- Video killed the radio star (the buggles)

Kim Carnes- Betty Davis Eyes????

David and David- Boomtown

Who did: Life in a Northern Town?? :confused:

What about ... who did: We're the kids in America????

99 Red Balloons- Nina

Bust a Move- Young MC

Who did: (I always feel like) Somebody's Watching Me??

brad9798
02-12-2007, 10:12 AM
I am quite familiar with Bonn Scott!

Flying Orca
02-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Who did: Life in a Northern Town?? :confused:

Dream Academy. Pals of David Gilmour and Kate Bush IIRC.

P.S. My fave Divinyls song was always "Boys In Town". Great band. Speaking of good Aussie bands, did Mental As Anything ever have a hit in NA?

brad9798
02-12-2007, 10:15 AM
That's RIGHT.

Thx, Orca!!

Mrleft8
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
"Somebody's watching me" (I always feel like) Is M. Jackson I believe.
"KIds in America" was Kim Wilde.
Timbuk 3 "My future's so bright, I gotta wear shades"
The Waitresses had a hit with "I know what boys want"
But here's a golden moldy..... "Never say never!" Romeo void.

Dan McCosh
02-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Always thought the ultimate one-hit tune was Locomotion, by Little Eva.

PatCox
02-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I am going to continue to bang the drum for Paul Carrack, the most famous man in the world who is not famous. Or is he just the most neglected? He has sung on so many huge hits, with so many groups, but most people don't know his name. He's almost had a string of one-hit wonders.

With his first band Ace he sang "How Long Has This Been Going On."

For the Squeeze, he sang their only American hit, "Tempted."

He sang a lot for Mike and the Mechanics, but I don't remember their hits, but they had some.

He sang a beautiful song you probably know even if you don't know it, "The Living Years," about having a son and losing your father.

And lately he has been singing for Pink Floyd on tour.

Beautiful singer, I had no idea what a career he had till I saw him with Ringo's All Stars, which show, by the way, I heartily recomend. Ringo is a Beatle, I would pay to just watch him sleep in an armchair, and he gathers together a bunch of has-beens every year, and the great thing is they do all the has-been's hits, too. Same show I also saw the singer from that Aussie band that sang about the vegemite sandwich, that song "Down Under," and realized he is a genius too, thouugh I do not remember his name.

PatCox
02-12-2007, 11:17 AM
Men Without Hats, "Safety Dance," and Soft Cell, "Tainted Love," come to mind.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-12-2007, 11:53 AM
I can think of a dozen from my high school years. Here are a few notables:

Free - All Right Now (and itís ďLetís move before they raise the parking rate.Ē)

Free, a one hit wonder band? - Not this side of the pond.

Now, "Steel Mill" - real O.H.W. material.

Hwyl
02-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Always thought the ultimate one-hit tune was Locomotion, by Little Eva.

Written by Goffin and King for their baby sitter, to prove that anyone can have a hit. Great song.

PatCox
02-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Somebody's Watching Me was by Berry Gordy's nephew or something like that, had a one-name name for the act, I'm gonna google it, My memory is terrible.

On edit, its Rockwell, couldn't find the part about where he was the nephew or son of the founder of Motown.

Don't Walk Away Rene, and Lightning Striking

davidagage
02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Starland Vocal Band.....Afternoon Delight

John B
02-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Fred, Fred fred. no no no not Free.:D oo nooo.
the beginning of bad co.:D

moTthediesel
02-12-2007, 01:43 PM
OK, I've got one fer ya:

"Mexican Radio" by Wall of Voodoo

Tho Stan Ridgeway has continued to record and perform, that is certainly the only track you could call a "hit".

Oh, and let's not forget RamJam's classic "Black Betty"

moT

PatCox
02-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Drive She Said
Lost Weekend
Camouflage

All by Stan Ridgeway; they were hits to me. His songs were like Raymond Carver stories.

By the way, I'm too Sexy For My Shirt.

Another One
02-12-2007, 02:04 PM
LOVE Mexican Radio. Always have!

But here's one for you: Dirty Water by the Standells.

brad9798
02-12-2007, 02:13 PM
Gary Neuman- CARS

just thought of that one ...

YES- Rockwell ... totally forgot about that one ... and yes, it was M. Jackson that sing the refrain on Sombeody's watching me!
---------------------------

Let's go back further ...

The Bobbetts- MR. LEE
The Contours- DO YOU LOVE ME
Shirley Bassey- GOLDFINGER (great song, BTW)
Bob Kuban and the In Men- THE CHEATER (pops on guitar on many versions)
King Harvest- DANCING IN THE MOONLIGHT

oh, oh ...

Frida- I NKNOW THERE'S SOMETHING GOING ON

And how could we forget-

Musical Youth- PASS THE DUTCHIE!!!

PatCox
02-12-2007, 02:18 PM
I have Frida on my Ipod.

I confess, I love Abba.

John B
02-12-2007, 02:35 PM
Shirley wasn't no one hit wonder.
Welsh , isn't she? like our friend Tom eh Mike..

Dan McCosh
02-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Written by Goffin and King for their baby sitter, to prove that anyone can have a hit. Great song.

I think she was 16 when it came out, made solid gold, then it was all downhill from there. I read somewhere she made something like $30,000 from the record.

Hwyl
02-12-2007, 03:37 PM

Thanks for standing up for my country men and women. Shirley Bassey is from an area of Cardiff, known as Splott and coloquially as Tiger bay, very rough as both names suggest

Hwyl
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
The Quarrymen: that'll be the day.

It couldn't have been a hit, only one copy -- but worth quite a bit

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Bah B B Bah B Bah B Bah Bah BB
Bah BB Bah B Bha B Boom Boom Boom

Hey Mr. Bassman...

seanz
02-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I also saw the singer from that Aussie band that sang about the vegemite sandwich, that song "Down Under," and realized he is a genius too, thouugh I do not remember his name.

Men at Work,Colin Hay

moTthediesel
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Drive She Said
Lost Weekend
Camouflage

All by Stan Ridgeway; they were hits to me. His songs were like Raymond Carver stories.

Have you listened to his 1999 disc "Anatomy", I think it's the best work he's ever done, and I'm a BIG FAN.
His cover of Merle Travis's "Sixteen Tons" is to die for --

moT

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-12-2007, 05:23 PM
I've been drivin' all night, my hands are wet on the wheel.
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel.

Memphis Mike
02-12-2007, 05:28 PM

You had to go and do it. Didn't ya?:mad:

Hwyl
02-12-2007, 05:29 PM
I've been drivin' all night, my hands are wet on the wheel.
There's a voice in my head that drives my heel.

In their "home-country" they had over 40 hits and made over 30 gold and platinum albums. Current members of Golden Earring

John B
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
You had to go and do it. Didn't ya?:mad:

had to do something to get that " Midnight Train to Georgia" out of my head.

dang. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6HyuqSiGo

don't listen to it Mike ... don't do it. its an earworm.
woo woo.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Mea Culpa;
"Watch what you do if I sing out of tune"?

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-12-2007, 06:17 PM
LOVE Mexican Radio. Always have!

But here's one for you: Dirty Water by the Standells.

OMG!!!!! WAYyyyy back in like 1989 I was in Boston and saw this VERY attractive gal wearing this T'shirt for Boston Harborfront or something Marina!!! On the back it said

LOVE THAT DIRTY WATER!!!!

I FOLLOWED her and finally got up to her and asked where she got it.... she worked there and mailed me one; I mailed her a check back! I still have it!

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-12-2007, 06:22 PM
Free did a wonderful little melody called MY BROTHER JAKE Love that song

What about COMMANDER CODY AND THE LOST PLANET AIRMEN?
Think they did Hot Rod Lincoln

John Meachen
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I suppose Jeff Beck would qualify for "Hi ho silver lining".If I added Maria Muldaur,the American contingent might approximate the level of indignation the Dutch would experience if it were claimed that Golden Earring qualified for this elite group.I might also add that the Austrian who had hit with "Rock me Amadeus" also did quite well with "La Dolce Vita"and might be excluded as a result.

moTthediesel
02-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Let's go waaay back now for what could (arguably) be called the original Surf/Punk song: "Surfin' Bird" by the Trashmen

"Ba-Ba-Ba-Ba---Everybodys heard about the bird, --- the bird bird bird, the bird is the word"

Ah, the poetry of the ages ---

moT

Listen for it in the sound track of Kubrick's "Full Metal Jacket"

Beowolf
02-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I know I keep banging the Concrete Blonde drum, but "Tomorrow Wendy" which I threw in a previous post was actually written by the lead singer of Wall of Voodoo.

Radio...Radio...Oleo...Radio

and can we count Nina, since her song was a "hit" in two languages?

Jeff

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-13-2007, 03:51 PM
David Soul aka "Hutch" (Starsky and Hutch)

Don't Give Up on Us Baby.

hokiefan
02-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Green Grass and High Tides....another one I liked, they are still touring as of last yr:eek: .......by now they must call it the Geritol tour:D
The Outlaws. Wouldn't call them one hit, they were big in the southern rock scene. Their Hurry Sundown album was awesome. Their following, though came from a fairly narrow demographic (and they generally didn't know what demographic meant :D )

Bobby

PatCox
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Florida's Guitar Army.