PDA

View Full Version : Another diplomacy thread.

bamamick
02-10-2007, 01:21 AM
Since the other one got sort of strange.

I enjoyed reading the responses about the effectiveness of diplomacy in today's world, but want to ask a question: what about the Balkans? I may not have an accurate view of what happened, but from where I am it seems that the EU was dithering itself into a coma while the genocide was going on and entire countries were being destroyed. It seems to me, as an American, that it was not until the Clinton administration got sick of it and began doing some serious bombing that the killing stopped and people began talking. A sort of diplomacy with a pretty solid back-up, as it were.

Some of the other examples given? Egypt and Israel? Egypt is paid very well to not fight with the Israelis, are they not? I believe that Libya isolated themselves from the other oil producing nations to the point where they were/are easily intimidated by the US.

Can anyone give an example of pure diplomacy resolving a situation where the threat of force from one side or the other wasn't present?

Mickey Lake

GregW
02-10-2007, 07:06 AM
Can anyone give an example of pure diplomacy resolving a situation where the threat of force from one side or the other wasn't present?
Mickey Lake

One doesn't have to go the Balkans or the Middle East to find situations where diplomacy works.

Think about it, the USA keeps embassies in practically every country in the world, there's a reason for that. Not a day of the week goes by that negotiations aren't going on somewhere about something or other, isn't that the whole purpose of your State Department?

The USA has many interest all over the world and realies on good relations with many host countries to maintain those interest, one can't maintain those good relations with the constant threat of force, see how long that would last.

Of course none of this makes the evening news, simply because it's the normal day to day business of countries, negotiating trade agreements, landing rights at airports, shipping agreements, streamlining business dealings..etc supremely boring stuff.

A couple of years ago the EU and the USA had another one of their relatively nasty trade disputes over steel. The EU claiming unfair trade practices by the USA, and having several court rulings in their favour were right. I don't remember any threat of force being used to resolve that one.

paladin
02-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Mickey......I have sorta been on one end of "diplomacy" for nearly 40 years......and where men are men forever, the only ultimate diplomacy that they understand is the business end of a well sharpened battle axe......sorry......

geeman
02-10-2007, 12:28 PM
There is a time for diplomacy,but working with some countries/peoples diplomacy to them means "weakness". You can talk yourself blue and not make headway with such people.

seanz
02-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Mickey Lake

Well,if you remove situations involving the threat of force (war,gun-boat diplomacy) we are left with innumerable trade agreements,extradition treaties,protocols and conventions.See people really can just get along:D
Examples of diplomacy that averted war/aggression in the eleventh hour are rare.
In the case of Libya I have a mad mad crazy theory that Qaddaffi is more frightened of Al Quaeda than he is of the U.S. and considered it best to start acting like a moderate country than a terrorist harboring madhouse,running the risk that the terrorists would take control.Now Libya is a happy African nation ,not Arabic at all ,not a bit ,not us ,thanks for asking,no we're fine.