PDA

View Full Version : Cats...lotsa cats

Phillip Allen
02-07-2007, 07:55 PM
My little cat (female) is in heat yet again. I've had her for several years and she never has kittens but she does come into heat regularly. My back porch is now carpeted with all sorts of cats. One in particular is just another feral cat and is cautious about letting me get anywhere near him...today I had to fight him away from the door as he simply demanded entrance to my house...suddenly brave.

If anyone ever figures out how to do that to men, we'll never know what hit us!

jack grebe
02-07-2007, 07:58 PM
A squirt bottle or water pistol works well:D

Phillip Allen
02-07-2007, 08:00 PM
female is inside at the moment (resting from her exertions) and I hear various meows coming from outside (please let her back out now...PLEASE!)

paladin
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
need recipes for fried, stewed,roasted or boiled Kat?:D

Phillip Allen
02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
need recipes for fried, stewed,roasted or boiled Kat?:D
I wonder if you're a big fake Chuck :)

paladin
02-07-2007, 08:21 PM
maybe...a little.....I actually have a pretty little Calico as a roommate for lil critter...but we won't tell anyone......I keep threatening to make a tennis racquet or slippers out of her but she ignores it......:D and if I don't have her chow out by the time Little Critter gets hers, I hear about it...and if I forget to put a little fresh cooked chicken bits on it I get a meow until I do.........but that's a secret....:D

Phillip Allen
02-07-2007, 08:30 PM
:) .

brad9798
02-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Dude ... it's terrible to let a cat roll around in heat for years with no takers ... imagine how frustrating that is.

Spend 45 bucks and get her fixed ... good lord, phillip! :rolleyes:

paladin
02-07-2007, 09:02 PM
she also has a litter boxdownstairs near my drafting board and computer table, and although I have small flourescent lights around, I have one gimballed Captains oil lantern hanging one end of a long table I use to spread out prints....she likes to park on/under that lamp when it's lit...

John Bell
02-07-2007, 09:09 PM
Dude ... it's terrible to let a cat roll around in heat for years with no takers ... imagine how frustrating that is.

Someone once told me that you could hit the "reset" button on a cat in heat using a q-tip coated with some vaseline. No, I never tried it. The first time Hester went into heat, she was at the vet the next day to take care of her little problem.

Phillip Allen
02-07-2007, 09:10 PM

I DO let her out...she never gets pregnant...she is a feral cat I caught and tamed down as a kitten. Probably the product of some serious inbreeding (all I can think of for her never getting pregnant).
she spent last night out and a good part of today...

I had originally intended to have her spayed after one batch of kittens...they've never happened

jack grebe
02-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I DO let her out...she never gets pregnant...she is a feral cat I caught and tamed down as a kitten. Probably the product of some serious inbreeding (all I can think of for her never getting pregnant).
she spent last night out and a good part of today...

I had originally intended to have her spayed after one batch of kittens...they've never happened
all fun and no responsability.......nice :rolleyes: :D

ishmael
02-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Get her spayed, Phillip.

Brian Palmer
02-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Get the cat spayed!! Get the cat spayed!! Get the cat spayed!!

-- Brian

Keith Wilson
02-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Yeah, get her spayed. She'll have a much calmer life and so will you; every tomcat within 100 miles won't end up on your back porch.

Sometimes I think it would be a good idea for people as well (but I'm not volunteering).

Phillip Allen
02-08-2007, 10:16 AM
I'll get around to it once the money begins to happen again...winter for a mason is not high living

ishmael
02-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Check around. There are usually organizations that will subsidize much of the cost.

I'm not constitutionally against letting a girl cat have a litter, especially if you have kids around. One of my fondest memories from young childhood was being present at the birth of kitties. Someone must not be spaying their cats, look at all them! LOL But so many end up put down or feral these days. Too many kitties, not enough good homes.

Phillip Allen
02-08-2007, 10:37 AM
The two cats I feed are this female and a tom obviously feral who comes around...I don't wish misery on any creature so I feed him and slowly am getting him tamed down...he may very well have an educational visit to the vet coming up himself (to get tutored :) )

The damn vet is very expensive these days...the two will likely cost a couple of hundred dollars all told

Capt'n Widda
02-08-2007, 05:07 PM
Phil,
Check out Friends of Animals. They have a certificate, reduced price, spay/neuter progam. Cats - Females $65; Males $51.
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/spay-neuter/index.html

Phillip Allen
02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
The $200 includes various shots and wormings...

elf
02-08-2007, 06:08 PM
Check out your local cat rescue. You might be surprized at their services. A few years ago one of the old ladies involved with our local organization left it a large, amount of money. The organization uses the proceeds from that to trap and spay/neuter ferals, to help out those who can't afford the complete price from the vet, and to run its rescue/adoption center, which they were enabled to have built.

Most of the people in my town have no idea about this, because most don't get much involved until they find a stray on their back porch. Then, all of sudden people need the service and find out it's there.

So check it out. It might be available.

brad9798
02-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Sorry I came off a bit strong, Phillip! That was not my intention.

RIGHT, Elf ... all of our animals are rescue ... In fact, it was 20 bucks to get the cat fixed, shots, etc.

The dog was 40 bucks ... but she also has a chip implanted ... akin to the one my wife had placed in me!

Phillip Allen
02-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I try not to recieve your passion about the welfare of critters as anything other than passion for the welfare of critters...I was not offended.

Paul Pless
02-08-2007, 09:01 PM
but she also has a chip implanted ... akin to the one my wife had placed in me!

Hopefully not like the ones used in Mission impossible III !!!

Phillip Allen
02-08-2007, 09:02 PM
"That's gonna hurt like hell in about five seconds"

paladin
02-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Charley R. B. (round bottom) Solomon, ships kat, deceased......r.i.p.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p048bbf3c662d32c822a2f575353600d7/eabf745b.jpg

Hughman
02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
Tac-the-sea-cat, Funchal, Maderia, Oct 1989.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid224/p1551627a7169f73ee60e6e208ceaaae5/eabf51d5.jpg

Tac is still among the living. :)