PDA

View Full Version : Rolled Barley

Tristan
02-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Been reading about sherpas and other folks who live in cold climes where barley is grown and eaten. Heard so much about sherpas eating "tsampa," whole grain barley flour boiled in water, I decided I had to try some myself. Now barley flour here in the US is probably not whole grain but rather flour made from "pearl" barley which has had the germ removed and is mostly starch granules, so I opted for "rolled" barley which seems to be basically like oatmeal with germ intact. Also got some high quality Irish oatmeal and "hulled" barley (to add to soups), so I've been on a barley and oatmeal kick. The rolled barley is a bit chewier than oatmeal, tastes pretty much the same, excellent with brown sugar and milk. How about it all you barley and oatmeal lovers, any more thoughts. Now for some hot tea with rancid yak butter.

Flying Orca
02-07-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm afraid my barley must be germinated, roasted, ground, and fermented with choice hops and top-fermenting yeast before ingestion. ;)

Tristan
02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm afraid I'm afraid my barley must be germinated, roasted, ground, and fermented with choice hops and top-fermenting yeast before ingestion. ;)

Ah yes, it is used in that way too isn't it. :rolleyes:

Tristan
02-07-2007, 07:14 PM
I had dinner at Tsampa, in the East Village, once. My clients and I all agreed the food was pretty close to disgusting, but the smells and music were worth the fare.

I just had to do some "pretending to be in Tibet" after reading "Tigers of the Snow," "Kim," and "The Heart of the World." Hey, one is only a kid once (but I suppose there are them as frown on a childhood that lasts 73 years!). Still, got to at least put on a yellow robe, eat boiled barley and drink a cup of lapsang soushong (never mind the rancid yak butter) to be in the right mood for books like that. :D :D :D

paladin
02-07-2007, 07:48 PM
maybe that's the reason for the smell.....:D

Tristan
02-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Isn't Tsampa made with roasted barley? I think it's magic energy release is based on the roasting.

I've also heard the Buddhist throw little balls of it into the air, for some silly reason.

Just don't rub it on your vitals. It can cause a nasty gluten-rash. DAMHIKT.

I believe it is roasted to mix with sheep fat, berries, etc. to make a sort of pemmican. Is is also boiled and eaten as a porridge. As for throwing balls of tsampa into the air, the Tibetans throw food offerings to the many local pre-Buddhist (Bon) gods, as well at to the various Buddhist bodhisattvas and Buddhas. If one is staggering around the edges of thousand foot cliffs covered with snow and ice paying homage to the various mountain gods etc. suddenly becomes quite serious business I believe. :D :D :D

Mrleft8
02-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Barley is one of those things....... Some people can deal with it, (like me) other people pretty much turn into gas bags. From what I've heard....."pearling" it reduces that effect.

Flying Orca
02-08-2007, 10:23 AM
No. I think the sherpa smell has to do with poorly cured animal skin clothing. The Inuit have the same issue, enhanced with the application of walrus lard as insulation.

...I'd have to disagree, at least when it comes to the Inuit. The tense is wrong, for starters - in my experience, Inuit these days use more scented stuff than I do, and I would be surprised if the same did not hold for the Sherpa.

Now, being a proud member of the Saqvaqjuamiut, I've had my hand in preparing plenty of skins the Inuk way. Once they've been scraped, dried, scraped some more, and chewed if applicable, any smell that's left is fairly muted and actually quite pleasant.

As for the use of walrus lard for insulation, that's new to me, meaning I never observed anything of the sort during my years in the Arctic. Perhaps you're thinking of indigenous people from further south using bear grease to keep mozzies and black flies from biting?

In any event, again in my experience, the distinct pong of some Inuit comes more from a relaxed bathing schedule than anything else. From an historical perspective, this makes a lot of sense in the Arctic. But everyone lives in houses now, and bathing is both easier and more commonplace. Cheers!

(I'm beginning to think I may have to apply for UPNPAT membership...)

Popeye
02-08-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm afraid my barley must be germinated, roasted, ground, and fermented with choice hops and top-fermenting yeast before ingestion.

that would be 2 row english malted barley and not that german 6 row crap

Paul Pless
02-08-2007, 10:56 AM
Now barley flour here in the US is probably not whole grain but rather flour made from "pearl" barley which has had the germ removed and is mostly starch granules

You might try an organic health food store for whole grain barley flour.

Tristan
02-08-2007, 03:39 PM
You might try an organic health food store for whole grain barley flour.

Good suggestion Paul, but -- - been there, done that (three stores), found rolled barley in one, no whole grain barley flour.

TomF
02-08-2007, 03:47 PM
Related note ... we like the long-cooking oatmeal much better than the instant stuff, but it takes 20-30 minutes, unless you want to risk a sticky boilover in the microwave. Don't really have time for that on school mornings, so what to do?

My son's started setting it up in a wide-mouth thermos last thing before he goes to bed. Puts in the cereal and boiling water in the right proportions, pinch of salt, closes it up, and presto.

Smart kid. At worst, it needs 15 seconds in the microwave in the morning to warm it back up.

Paul Pless
02-08-2007, 04:05 PM
Tristan, most small stores will order what you need. My sister sells this brand of whole grain barley flour at her store in Savannah.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/images/home/BobsRedMill_Logo_header.gif

Tristan
02-08-2007, 04:09 PM
Tristan, most small stores will order what you need. My sister sells this brand of whole grain barley flour at her store in Savannah.

https://www.bobsredmill.com/images/home/BobsRedMill_Logo_header.gif

Thanks Paul, When I finish the rolled and whole grain stuff I might try the whole grain flour. Got a ways to go though. :D