PDA

View Full Version : Phil Heffernan for Mayor

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 07:32 AM
Local paper comes out today ........... you got something you want to tell us ;)

John Most
02-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Lets see, Phil is having an "operation" and going to be your new wife?

Paul Pless
02-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Local paper comes out today

You guys don't live in one of them bum**** little towns, where the local newspaper posts everybody's traffic violations, do you?:p

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 07:58 AM
You guys don't live in one of them bum**** little towns, where the local newspaper posts everybody's traffic violations, do you?:p

Yup we do :D
But thats not it ;)

Chris Coose
02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
I'll bet a buck this story reads like the astronut story.

Paul Pless
02-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Yup we do :D

me too:eek: :eek:

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 08:04 AM
Phils gettin hitched??? :eek: Whoooooooooeeeeeeeee!! Another forum wedding!! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! good on yer Phil :cool: Whos the lucky sheila???

Come on mate fess up!!! ;)

Hes been adopted by the publican and is takin over the pub?? COOL ONE PHIL OL SON!!!

Youve adopted Phil an tryin to teach him a thing or two?? nah be the other way eh!! :D

Phils become the Mayor of Cold Spring and introduced a mess of holidays? Issued a proclimation making it illegal for anyone not to go sailing during the holidays?

Strewth!! come on give us a flamin hint Joeboy!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 08:29 AM
In a fit of temporary insanity...I succumbed to the pressure of my peers...and tossed my hat in the ring of Village politics, as...

Candidate for Mayor:eek:

I have served as a Trustee for the last two years, and have enjoyed the involvement...but it was a period of almost constant argument (debate ;) ) with the incumbent Mayor, and I got tired of it.

This will be a tough race, as a lot of the old timers are having a hard time with the thought of a new Mayor...but the incumbent has had the job for 14 years, and it's time for a change....

Any advice from all you political mavens out there?

I'm all ears...

PH

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Well I was close!! ;) Whats me prize MR Mayor? :D

huisjen
02-07-2007, 08:32 AM
Don't claim you tried it but didn't inhale.

Dan

rbgarr
02-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Has Phil been voted in as Mayor?

Tar Devil
02-07-2007, 08:37 AM

My uncle is Mayor of Portland Oregon... that's about as close as I come...

From what I understand, you're about to learn a bunch of new things about yourself you didn't know! :D

Joe (SoCal)
From Todays Putnam County News & Recorder

Phil Heffernan to Run For Mayor of Cold Spring
Phillip Heffernan, a Village Trustee and longtime Cold Spring resident, has formally announced his candidacy for Mayor in the upcoming March 20th election, with the following release to the PCN&R: "In making this decision, Mr. Heffernan expressed his sincere appreciation for the current administration.

http://pcnr.com/

Good on ya fer comming clean Mayor Phil ;)

jack grebe
Good Luck:cool:

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 08:38 AM
I'm actually full of anxiety about this whole endeavor.

I wonder if I'm good enough to do this...If I can handle the politics, and people, and not make foolish errors in public :eek:

I'm not really a 'politician', and tend to be pretty outspoken, so I'll have to watch how I say things, and to whom...

But I'm committed now, so it's full steam ahead...no turning back ;)

PH

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Has Phil been voted in as Mayor?

Election next month, but thats just a technicality ;)

High C
02-07-2007, 08:44 AM

I'm all ears...

PH

Move to the right. ;)

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 08:46 AM
Election next month, but thats just a technicality ;)

I appreciate the optimism Joe, but this is not a shoo-in by any means...

I have to get my message to those who can't imagine life without the current Mayor, as if the Village will fall apart without his paternal hand at the tiller...Easier said than done.

The fact is, we are at a real crossroads here. The management style of the incumbent is wrong for us now. We need partners, and discussion, and consensus building, none of which he is good at doing...

Hence, new blood...

PH

BrianY
02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Advice learned from real experience as PR manager for two local campaigns for town office:

When your opponent has been in the position for a long time and he is pretty popular and has lots of friends in town and you're perceived as a young upstart outsider even though your not that young and you've lived in town all your life, you have to be very careful about how agresssive you are when attacking your opponent's record. You do not want to alienate voters by coming off as disrespectful and harsh. If they do perceive this, they will naturally side with the incumbent even though they may not think that he's the best man for the job. You have to frame your criticism constructively offering real options rather than just criticism. Instead of saying "Joe Mayor is incompetent and shouldn't be trusted" you say "mayor X did this. I would have taken a different approach" and then go on to describe that approach and your ideas and why you think they will work. Let the voters decide whose ideas are better. Good luck!

High C
02-07-2007, 08:55 AM
Phil, I have a bit of experience with small town politics. It can be the most gruesome political environment of all because everybody knows one another so well. You know how family fights are worse than friend fights? :eek:

The most successful are those who say as little as possible, remain noncommittal and sidestep challenges, you know..... politicians! But who needs more of that type?

Charm them first and build trust. Take your time before laying the rudder hard over.

All the best!

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Move to the right. ;)

WOW HiC your a regular Carl Rove political strategist :rolleyes: the entire country is moving the opposite direction as exemplified with the last midterm election and your telling him to move to the right ???? :eek: :rolleyes:

Your the one moving in the wrong direction, the pendulum has already swung get onboard . ;)

Phil is actually the perfect balance. Imagine me as mayor ??? :eek: no way I have more skeletons in my closet, than Rudy Guiliani :D

The greatest thing is that now that I have moved into the village I'm a resident and able to vote for my friend. First thing I did when he told me he was running was to get a change of address form out to the board of elections ;)

High C
02-07-2007, 09:15 AM
WOW HiC your a regular Carl Rove political strategist :rolleyes: the entire country is moving the opposite direction as exemplified with the last midterm election and your telling him to move to the right ???? :eek: :rolleyes:

Your the one moving in the wrong direction, the pendulum has already swung get onboard . ;)

Don't know the meaning of a wink, ehh?

And why would I abandon my principles to join what you perceive as the fad du jour?

Do you need a definition for the word "principle" as well?

George Jung
02-07-2007, 09:23 AM
Here's an idea: Practice yer campaign on this thread, before doing so publicly in Cold Spring. We'll be glad to shoot holes in it for you (kind of a dry run). What are friends for? :D

We'll need someone to play the part of the incumbent, though. Any takers?

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 09:27 AM
We'll need someone to play the part of the incumbent, though. Any takers?

I nominate HiC .......

........... or Don[n] ( Donn's closer to the real thing ;) )

Bruce Hooke
02-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Just keep in mind that everything is public and anything you say here could show up in the local paper! This seems to be a good general principle for running for office these days. What you say to your spouse may be private -- damn little else is, or so it would appear.

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Don't know the meaning of a wink, ehh?

Hmmmm did ya see my wink at the end of get onboard ;) Ooops there it is again ;) yikes again ;) again :eek:

Paul Pless
02-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Damn Phil!your going to the other side, I thought you were one of the good ones.:(

Paul Pless
02-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Just joshin, good luck really!!!

No advice really, just follow your heart, that's why people who trust you will vote for you. Don't change who you are.

Good Luck,
Paul

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Just keep in mind that everything is public and anything you say here could show up in the local paper! This seems to be a good general principle for running for office these days. What you say to your spouse may be private -- damn little else is, or so it would appear.

1000% Correct !!!!

I'm also aware of this and hesitated ever so slightly even posting this thread. I know this first hand, and still sickened over the cowardliness of some on the internet. Please note should this thread get out of hand or in anyway compromise Phils civic duty, OR should Phil request me to remove this thread it will be gone in a blink of an eye.

Phil is a above board guy and I'm sure he is acutely aware of possible complications with posting too much.

PatCox
02-07-2007, 09:48 AM
Your good enough, your smart enough, and gosh darnit, people like you!

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Advice learned from real experience as PR manager for two local campaigns for town office:

When your opponent has been in the position for a long time and he is pretty popular and has lots of friends in town and you're perceived as a young upstart outsider even though your not that young and you've lived in town all your life, you have to be very careful about how agresssive you are when attacking your opponent's record. You do not want to alienate voters by coming off as disrespectful and harsh. If they do perceive this, they will naturally side with the incumbent even though they may not think that he's the best man for the job. You have to frame your criticism constructively offering real options rather than just criticism. Instead of saying "Joe Mayor is incompetent and shouldn't be trusted" you say "mayor X did this. I would have taken a different approach" and then go on to describe that approach and your ideas and why you think they will work. Let the voters decide whose ideas are better. Good luck!

Great advice, and one that I have been following already. I like our incumbent, but he's had the job long enough. New ideas and world view need a chance to come through...

We don't have Dem or Rep at the Village level...I'm the Community party, and he's the Action party :D

From my other posts, I think you can figure where I'm coming from...

Hwyl
02-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Phil, you'll probably get snide underhand remarks and heckling from the sleazy side of society.

These people generally have no idea of what's going on and their only pleasure is undermining the good intentions of others.

You have to learn to develop a thick skin and learn to ignore these fools. It's not even worth elevating them to the status of pimples on the backside of humanity.

Oh wait, you've already taken my advice, well at least you can thank our resident transexual, John Most, Mountain Mama, Pam Quintari (and a host of others) for the on the job training.

Lets see, Phil is having an "operation" and going to be your new wife?

Mrleft8
02-07-2007, 10:36 AM
"....When asked about local resident Joe Foster, the newly announced candidate said: 'He's a clean, well dressed, articulate, educated individual. I think he'll do very well in the future.' Essentially clinching the win for the incumbent mayor..." :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 10:50 AM
"....When asked about local resident Joe Foster, the newly announced candidate said: 'He's a clean, well dressed, articulate, educated individual. I think he'll do very well in the future.' Essentially clinching the win for the incumbent mayor..." :D

Ya damn right I am

http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/gx/danieldaylewis-real.jpg

Now I got to go wax me stash election time is coming ya know ;) :D

Evan Showell
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Phil -- I haven't actually run for local office, so take this advice with a grain of salt.

First, be accessible to the people. If that means hanging out in the parking lot of the local supermarket for a few hours on a Sat. am., then do it.

You might consider setting up a website and posting your ideas on it with a bulletin board feature for public comment.

Don't say anything you are unsure of as far as factual information goes -- and have verified the facts from multiple sources.

It is not a sin to say I don't know, or I'll have to look into something and get back to you, as long as you take a phone number and actually look into the thing and get back to folks.

Read the last two-three years of Trustee's meeting public minutes. Even if you were at all the meetings, people's basic personalities and positions will crystalize for you if you do so. Then, you can better differentiate yourself from the crowd. You'll also be able to make historical references in answering questions from the public, a la -- that issue came up at the [month] trustee's meeting and we agreed then to do X, we have done so and here its the result, or we haven't done x because .... -- you get the point.

Encourage people to attend trustee's meetings and get involved in their government and communicate with their government. You are not a mind reader. If people have good ideas, the trustees need to hear them. If people have particular concerns the trustees need to hear them.

If not already done, get the town to commit to posting trustee's meeting minutes (other than executive session) on a village website so that folks who cannot make meetings can still participate in village public life.

Be yourself. If you are outspoken and opinionated by nature, continue to be that way. People hate phony politicians. If you strenuously disagree with someone on an issue, listen hard to them and try to find out what facts inform their opinion. You may learn something you did not know. If a "fact" advanced seems wrong to you, do not argue it. Rather, let the person know you'd like a little time to research the issue. If they are right about the facts, it may cause you to change your opinion. If they are wrong, try to gather some objectively verifiable factual refutation and gently present it to them. It might cause them to change their mind.

Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. Do it in a mature, thoughtful way (but I know I don't have to tell you that).

Never trash the opposition. It's just not classy and you seem to be a classy guy.

In my observation a lot of resentment in small town politics is borne of a perception that the good old boys are running things behind everybody elses' collective backs and ignoring and emphemeral, seldom expressed "public opinion." Be honest about a desire to broaden public participation, and transparency, in village government, if that is indeed part of your mission.

If folks appear at public meetings to ask questions, even if they seem like lunatics, give them genuine attention and regard. Hear them out even if the meeting is running late and a lot of people are left to speak. They may have a point. The worst enemy of the public is a dismissive, patronizing public official.

Finally, if there are contentious issues on the local agenda -- proposed zoning changes -- and the like, do not attempt to quash public participation by moving those items to the end of the agenda for the meeting. Instead, recognize the public's concern and move the item to the front of the agenda, even if it means that the only folks left at the meeting at 11:30 p.m. are the trustees voting on the consent agenda -- approving bills for payment and the like.

Best of luck.

Russ Manheimer
02-07-2007, 10:59 AM
Phil,

Go fight the good fight and push for positive change, building on the accomplishments of your predecessor. Unless there are none and you then need to speak the truth. If your fellow townies disagree then there's nothing you could have done anyway.

Good Luck,

Russ

George Jung
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Ya damn right I am

http://www.jigsawlounge.co.uk/film/gx/danieldaylewis-real.jpg

Now I got to go wax me stash election time is coming ya know ;) :D

Manning the polls....

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Evan et alia

Thanks for the thoughtful comments.

A major component of my time as Trustee has been about being accessible to the residents, and about open & transparent government. I had to fight to get a Village website going, and a newsletter was resisted until I prevailed, and the Village loved it...

It's all working, and the whole of the municipal government is looking better for it;)

Right now, I'm trying to reach the whole Village to tell my story...5 home appearances, and a screening of our 100th Centennial Parade filmed in 1946 at the local library...

I think I'll get Joe to post a YT video of an interview with me on the Issues :D Who knows, could be a big hit:cool:

PH

Paul Fitzgerald
02-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Phil, I have been saving up a few policies in case I ran for election, you are free to use them if you want.

1. Free beer on Medicare
2. Three day weekends
And just remember, you know when you are truly a politician when you start to believe your own bull**it.

B_B
02-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Phil, good luck!

develop and communicate a positive message about the future - try to say as little as possible about the past, except to articulate what makes you qualified

develop policies on as many topics/issues as necessary, know them well, but talk about only the one or two which are most dear to your heart and the needs of the community - stay focused, stay on message, stay positive, stay focused on the future on what you will accomplish

Stiletto
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
but the incumbent has had the job for 14 years, and it's time for a change....

'Time for a change' is a simple and non confrontational slogan, and possibly an easy seed to sow.

Best of luck Phil.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-07-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm all ears...PH

Since you asked (and you should have known better)

Learn ventriloquism (I hope I spelled that right).
If you're a politician and they see your lips moving people will assume that you're lying.

:D

Memphis Mike
02-07-2007, 05:36 PM
Good luck, Phil!:)

George Jung
02-07-2007, 07:02 PM
If you're a politician and they see your lips moving people will assume that you're lying.

Hmmmm.... help me out here. There was a Jim Carey movie that might have a technique that is applicable.....

Chris Coose
02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Hire Joe as your campaign manager..... no maybe that is a bad idea.

Hang ouside busy local grocery stores on Saturday mornings and introduce yourself.
Go door to door.
Spend some money on signs.

You have ruined any spare minute you had between now and the election.

I've seen some total, unexpected turn arounds when the underdog got himself around with a vengance.

It is a good idea to speak to a strategist to learn the number of votes you need to win, then you figure the best way to get that number. There is some science to it but that might get in the way of of just hitting the bricks.

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Hire Joe as your campaign manager..... no maybe that is a bad idea.

Hang ouside busy local grocery stores on Saturday mornings and introduce yourself.
Go door to door.
Spend some money on signs.

You have ruined any spare minute you had between now and the election.

I've seen some total, unexpected turn arounds when the underdog got himself around with a vengance.

It is a good idea to speak to a strategist to learn the number of votes you need to win, then you figure the best way to get that number. There is some science to it but that might get in the way of of just hitting the bricks.

400 votes oughta do it...

Still going around getting petitions, freezing my *** off...Saturdays and Sundays...

I thought of signs...would posters be better? Or too 'in your face'? I like
"Time for Change" for the reasons Stiletto pointed out...

Next week is platform handout at the Grand Union;)

A lot of work...I wonder sometimes why we do this kind of thing...There sure isn't any money in it...And everyone says it's a 'thankless job'...

Cynics will say it's the power angle, and I suppose that's partially it...As mayor, you can't be ignored, at least...I guess I'm doing it for the 'pay forward' aspect...Service to my community is it's own reward, at this stage of my life...:cool:

See you at the Supermarket...

PH

S/V Laura Ellen
02-07-2007, 09:57 PM

Hmmmm.... help me out here. There was a Jim Carey movie that might have a technique that is applicable.....

Might not send the right message (assuming Phil wants to win).
A more highbrow approach may be to use a Monty Python approach.
Walk around town telling "Bring out your dead!, Bring out your dead!" while doing a silly walk.

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sounds/HolyGrail.wav/bringout.wav

Robbie
02-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Good luck

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Walk around town telling "Bring out your dead!, Bring out your dead!" while doing a silly walk.

That's Joes job :D

PH

Nanoose
02-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Forget all the tactics!

Be your wonderful self! People sense you're a genuine guy, Phil - let your character and integrity speak for you.

geeman
02-07-2007, 11:14 PM
From what I see here Phil is too honest to get elected.

Nanoose
02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
Honesty is the best policy. So be it.

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 11:22 PM
From what I see here Phil is too honest to get elected.

He's got my vote. :)

Hey Phil I told ya this thread wont drop. I've never had a thread I started drop to the bottom before it's time ;)

I'm at my cousins after my grandmothers wake and he's got wifi ;)

geeman
02-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I cant vote up there, but if I could I'd vote for Phil too.If for no other reason, ,Phil can put up with Joe, so that alone shows his mettle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol

Nanoose
02-07-2007, 11:34 PM
I cant vote up there, but if I could I'd vote for Phil too.If for no other reason, ,Phil can put up with Joe, so that alone shows his mettle,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol

"Birds of a feather....." ? :) ?

Phil Heffernan
02-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Forget all the tactics!

Be your wonderful self! People sense you're a genuine guy, Phil - let your character and integrity speak for you.

Thank you, Nanoose,and Geeman too, but yer right...in small town America, people can really see you for what you are, and all the big city tricks of the trade are overkill...and even a liability...

PS Joe, not to change the subject, but does Lucky need food in the AM, and a walk? Where's the key? At the Gym? :D :D

PH

S/V Laura Ellen
02-08-2007, 05:55 AM

http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sounds/HolyGrail.wav/bringout.wav

That's Joes job :D

PH

Joe: I see another YouTube video coming to a theater near you soon. You better start practicing you silly walk.:D

Phil: You would have my vote and support if it was allowed. We need less politics and more concern for the tax payers, and you seem to be the man to do it. Good Luck.

KNOCKABOUT
02-08-2007, 07:32 AM
I appreciate the optimism Joe, but this is not a shoo-in by any means...

I have to get my message to those who can't imagine life without the current Mayor, as if the Village will fall apart without his paternal hand at the tiller...Easier said than done.

The fact is, we are at a real crossroads here. The management style of the incumbent is wrong for us now. We need partners, and discussion, and consensus building, none of which he is good at doing...

Hence, new blood...

PH

So can the wbf help out with some soft donations?

Phil Heffernan
02-08-2007, 01:02 PM
You're a mensch, Knockabout, the offer is very kind...

For now I'll raise local funds, I'm not spending much, mostly time & shoeleather...

Right now I'm working on 'Breakthrough Questions', that help people see things in a new way, to overcome their fear or apathy...

Ideas?

PH

john l
02-08-2007, 05:05 PM
good luck phil! i hope you win. and suggest a time management and conflict resolution course asap!
first order of business is to start a water parade! the mayors car can be tidbit!