PDA

View Full Version : Lew Barrett - Thank you thread

Ron Joslin
02-07-2007, 04:53 AM
Thank you, Lew Barrett , for what you have done and are doing for David -( Meerkat). You are a good man. You have restored my faith in my belief that there are still some good diecent people out there. Thanks for telling us . You are an example of how all of us should be.
Keep up the good work. Ron.

Tar Devil
02-07-2007, 05:35 AM
Well said, Ron. Ditto here.

Phil

S/V Laura Ellen
02-07-2007, 05:39 AM
You have my thanks also.
Your actions show us that the forum can be a real community and set an example for all of us to strive for.

huisjen
02-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Thank You Lew.

Dan

Paul Pless
02-07-2007, 07:50 AM
Yes. What a good deed Lew, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well as with David.

Bruce Taylor
02-07-2007, 07:53 AM
You're one of the good ones, Lew!

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 07:57 AM
Ron I think it may be wise to add Lews wife along with Rick and his wife Melinda, Bob Scully and John Bell who have all had a hand in standing beside David during this thing (Im not sure if there are others theyre the ones Lew has named and John has been adding as he is able)

Lew has been the voice they his strength without all of them Davids journey would be alone with them he has the strength of many around the world

They each deserve our heartfelt thanks for everything theyve done and all theyre doing and all they will do... as they each are able... a hard task each undertakes to stand in our stead to share his time and to inform his mates around the world... it takes strength beyond the norm to do this and the support of their own loved ones has been immense and will continue to be so as this moves toward its inevitable conclusion... they and their partners loved ones are our hearts at this time we can only offer what strength and love we can to each of them

Thanks to each of you I am sure also that David himself thanks you from his heart

If it gets too much to post here please feel free to give me a hoi (pm me!) and I will post in your stead to give you rest.
Shane

Oh and Ron? Great thought to create this thread mate! Cheers

Keith Wilson
02-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Thank you! I wish I could do something myself, but I'm very glad you can, and have. Yer a credit to the species. http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ron Joslin
02-07-2007, 08:15 AM
[quote=Wild Dingo;1496564]Ron I think it may be wise to add Lews wife along with Rick and his wife Melinda, Bob Scully and John Bell who have all had a hand in standing beside David during this thing (Im not sure if there are others theyre the ones Lew has named and John has been adding as he is able)

Yes , as Wild Dingo said , Many thanks to all. As you see, after all the money ,your things and your stuff you thought where so important what really matters is people.

jack grebe
02-07-2007, 08:39 AM
Thank You:cool:

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Thank you

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Ditto to all the above... Bless you Lew.

The goodness exhibited here lately (and not just on behalf of Meer) is Soooo much better for all of us.
I pray it continues. I find myself ducking in for a visit more frequently.
Just a shame it takes this for us to realize what's really important.

Lucky Luke
02-07-2007, 10:25 AM
You are all good people

Love you
(sorry: getting a bit moved...)

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Dave one of the most touching things to come out of this was the video by Joe... simply because it was done with such obvious love and respect but also because it included both StanV and Karen and for their inclusion in that video I also thank Joe.

Times such as these as sad as they are bring out the best in people... its a shame so much other stuff has to happen before we become aware of the fragile nature of our lives and the importance of being there for each other.

Mrleft8
02-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah... What they all said.....Plus.... Tell ferret face I love him...

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Yeah what boofhead said! :D

htom
02-07-2007, 10:42 AM
Yes, indeed. Thank you to all of you.

brad9798
02-07-2007, 11:00 AM
Amen, Lew!

abe
02-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Lew, Thank You

abe

Katherine
02-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Lew, Rick, & Company. Thank you for looking after Meerkat.

Rick Tyler
02-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi. Lew is even more helpful in person...

Someone said "ferret face" up there -- I assume in reference to David. Rest assured that he still has his disreputable beard, and that sweat-stained, somewhat revolting Duckworks hat that he wears everywhere.

I've been absent from the Bilge for a long while, but I thought it was time for a return. Hi again.

Memphis Mike
02-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks Lew, Rick and co.

Vince Brennan
02-07-2007, 01:23 PM
Bravo Zulu is hoisted.

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Had a nice phone conversation with Lew this afternoon. Seems the old saying it's better to give than receive holds true. Ol Lew is getting a karmic surplus from doing the good deed. It all goes around we all help each-other and we all benefit.

Funny this ol forum it never ceases to amaze me every time I talk to one of you it feels like we know each other a lifetime, and how easy it is to just yarn away like old friends even if we have never spoken a word to one another before.

Yer a good man Lew keep up the great work.

LeeG
02-07-2007, 01:27 PM
It's a blessing when folks become part-time angels . Thanks Lew, Rick, and all.

Russ Manheimer
02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Lew and all; thanks for representing all of Dave's imaginary friends here on the Forum.
Russ

paladin
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
all the above.....

John of Phoenix
02-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Amazing karma!

Bill R
02-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks to all who are helping Meer.

Tristan
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks to all!

Stiletto
02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks indeed!

John Bell
02-07-2007, 05:42 PM
While driving down to Mobile this afternoon, I gave Lew a call and found a really great guy. Lew knows how I feel about what he's doing.

(Shane, I can only offer support over the phone, David et. al. live 2300 miles from me.)

There are angels among us, and sometimes we even get to see what it feels like to be one. I think that's what Lew and Rick and their families are seeing right now.

LisaS
02-07-2007, 08:26 PM
Of course I sent my thanks to the wrong thread...doh. Oh bother... Anyway, thank you Lew and team for all that you are doing to support Meer right now. Thank to everyone else for setting aside the normal petty squabbling to support one of our own and for not burying this under inane drivel.

Lisa

Phillip Allen
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Hang in there guys and gals... (Sitting here trying to think of something to add...Thanks doesn't seem adequate.)

jack grebe
02-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Rick, Lew, and co.I know this can be a stressful time for you.Is there anything you need or that we can help you with?

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 10:02 PM
While driving down to Mobile this afternoon, I gave Lew a call and found a really great guy. Lew knows how I feel about what he's doing.

(Shane, I can only offer support over the phone, David et. al. live 2300 miles from me.)

There are angels among us, and sometimes we even get to see what it feels like to be one. I think that's what Lew and Rick and their families are seeing right now.

John although I wasnt aware how far away from them you are, I know youve been on the blower to them over the last few weeks and that mate is just as important as anything else... and from time to time have stepped up and told us what you know from those calls... Im sure at those times its been a relief to Lew and Rick for you to have done so... sometimes its all we can do and that makes a difference... sometimes that phone call to David took a bit of the "load" (for lack of a better word) from someone else and again thats just as important... giving breathing space to those people is just as important as what theyre doing

I believe its as important for Lew, Rick Bob and their families to be able to deal with the other things in their lives of which we know nothing but are there all the same.... its important that people like you John can by a simple phone call make a difference for them

And mate? I hope your getting a glimmer of what you think Lew and Rick are seeing and feeling cause theres wings above you just now

I hope with everything in me that there will suddenly be a huge difference in the finding of medical miricle cure for David... god how I hope that can happen... but sadly its not going to time is not on his or our side... so the realization of that and to know that there are from within us those that willingly stand to the fore in standing beside him during this either by visits or by phone is the best miricle any of us can hope for... setting aside the many things in their own lives to share a time with a friend is huge so every bit of sharing the load means a hell of a lot to someone

And as such worthy of our utmost respect and love... so to all we offer just that to you.

Ps... John mate please dont demean the things youve done the phone calls the notes on the board from time to time for even if you dont consider it much its been all you can do and that is more than enough... just ask Lew!

And no Davids not gone yet... hes a tough buggar so I dont expect him to just lay down and go he will fight... but its good for him to know the love respect and esteem we all hold him in... if that makes something easier for him then well it will make the present fight a heck of a lot easier.

Angels wings soar above the sky
Into the far heavens the climb
Carrying our love to a freind
In trying times

They stand hovering in the mists
Just beside his beadside
Sharing with his inner soul
The love from afar

Serntinels sent from all the world
from his own country they come
From lands far and wide they congregate
To be by his bedside

Angels of diversity
Driven onward to a friend
By love that makes their golden wings
Shimmer and glow with power and joy

Theres nothing any human can do
Theres only the angels wings
fluttering in the mists
close to our friends heart

They come from every land
Upon the hearts of love for a respected friend
Shimmering with precious gems in the forms of words
Taken up from within their hearts

The angels wings touch those who like us
Mere mortals try to be there at this time
And give them courage and heart
To remain steadfast for our friend

Whispering... rest easy, take heart, be strong
We love you, we are here, we care
gossemer wings beating so faint none can see or hear
They fall upon their very souls

So they can share and he can see
The love the angels wings bare
As tears drip slowly down as each passing moment
Brings the end ever near
The angels begin to sing
Lifting the soul within to the highest heavens

With the words from the heart
That all our angels hold
Standing vigil by his side

By me just now as I thought it with tears so bloody difficult!!

No Davids no bloody hero no special perfect bloke hes just a bloke a mate weve come to know but in all things one should know that angels wings shimmer just above the surface of our hearts... and when things such as this come about as they must do each in our turn... the angels of those weve touched shimmer and soar to be by our side... and thus our angels are spreading their wings over David Lew Rick and their families as we hold them close with love and support

Robbie
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM
All the best to you all.....
Reconfirms my faith in the goodness that can be found around the world IF you take the time to look.

Mrleft8
02-07-2007, 10:20 PM
GEEZIZ DINGO! Yer gotter stop making all these typos! I can't read a werd yer sayin! ;)

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Tell yer what Dougy mate its hard as hell tryin to type ANYTHING just now!!
That damned bit took nigh on an hour!! :cool: Five minutes of words and it takes a flamin hour? geeeeeeez and the mistooks? mmmmyyy the mistooks that I had to correct :rolleyes:

Anyway :p Love to Carter and the gang!:cool:

Mrleft8
02-07-2007, 10:33 PM
Indeed Bingo..... When yer comin' up?

capt jake
02-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I must have missed something, which isn't unusual. ;) Lew is a good person, who has taken the time to help me out as well.

Thanks to all who are helping David out.

Hughman
02-07-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks to you for your humanity.

Lew Barrett
02-08-2007, 12:45 AM
Thanks to all of you for your own humanity. We here in Seattle are united in the knowledge that your love and decency helps us every day as this process moves along. It is not a chore or duty that is being performed here. It is a rewarding act that fills us with awe and emotion.
Speaking to the title of this thread, I can't tell you what a helpful thing it is to know that people around the country and around the world are pulling for David and grateful for our efforts. Your kind words arrive for me at a time when some of my own problems had caused me to question myself and my worth. This is aside from the Meerkat stuff.
I have received many calls and PMs from you all and it is a great joy to speak with you and put voices to the words. I tentatively joined this forum on Thanksgiving weekend, 2005, and it
has become for me as it has for many of you, a regular place to meet friends and engage in BS about things I like. I never expected it to be part of my own spiritual journey, but here we are.

Rick Tyler
02-08-2007, 12:58 AM
Don't let Lew kid you. He IS a nice guy who IS doing a lot of good for David. When Meer was better, Lew and I (and a host of others who made up for less frequency with greater numbers) would help Dave with Starbuck's, trips to restaurants (especially Red Robin and -- my favorite -- the Sunflour), grocery trips, doctor visits, etc. Bob Scully joined in a little later, but more than made up for it in intensity. I will leave Bob's story for himself, but in the middle of a fair amount of personal adversity he did a lot of the grunt work of helping keep David's room tidy(er), running to the drug store, and the rest of the little things we tend to take for granted. As David has become less mobile, Bob has been on hand to help him out of bed, to his wheel chair, etc. I don't think I know anyone with more unbounded selfless energy than Bob.

David has been blessed with a lot of friends who have helped him in different phases of fighting this disease. Since I live about 25 miles away (over the bridge -- a bad thing in this area), I've always done a lot more by phone and 'net than in person. If I make it to Dave's once a week, that's doing pretty well. Bob now lives about 50 yards from Dave's apartment, since they live in the same building. Bob has been onsite to provide the frequent help Dave needs lately. As it turns out, Dave is in a nursing home near Lew's office. Lew is seeing Dave nearly every day. Given the vagaries of Puget Sound commuting, it would cost me at least two and maybe three hours of driving to get to and from Dave's on weeknights, so I'm the telephone guy during the week. Dave is blessed to have Lew and Bob on the right side of the lake during these days of uncertainty in medical situations that leave Dave feeling out of control and anxious. There's nothing like seeing a familiar face to calm you down.

And then there are the telephone pals. I rarely talk to Dave without him mentioning some Bilge rat who has phoned recently. If you have his cell phone -- go ahead and call. He may not answer if the pain meds have him zonked, but you might be amazed how much he sounds like himself, even if his voice is a little rustier than it used to be. Don't be alarmed if he coughs into the phone -- he's been doing that for six months (it's not new). Sometimes I think he does it just to make sure I'm not on speaker. If the phone is right up to my ear, he can tell by my shrieks of pain when he coughs into it...

Off to bed. Take care and God bless you all.

Wild Dingo
02-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I commend anyone to use the phone and say a simple easy goin "gidday" :cool:

Me I guess from down here its a bit of a trial and error thing with the timing... Id probably get through on the 100th attempt just as the meds kick in and he dozes of :rolleyes:

Its great to get the lowdown on how everyone up there is actually placed thanks Rick :cool:

Ed Harrow
02-08-2007, 05:56 PM
Well, hating to paraphrase 'The Decider', Yer doing a heck of a job. ;)

Finast kind, all around.

elf
02-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Is there any music Meer especially likes? Maybe we could make him a CD to listen too.

The Bigfella
02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Great work Lew & co.

Uncle Duke
02-08-2007, 09:37 PM
I have to say - I went through a very similar process with my father some years ago (not saying how many, it doesn't matter...). It was the hardest thing I've ever done (so far) and also the best thing. My greatest respects go to Meerkat, for being such a stand-up guy during the process, which he certainly knows is happening.
My second-greatest respect to Lew and everyone here who are demonstrating such wonderfully visible humanity. Decency is hard to find, and it is astonishing to see it on something that is as easily avoidable as an Internet chart room.
I was totally pissed-off when my Dad went through the process - enough that I probably stupidly poisoned myself about it, and I was a total dick for a long time. Maybe still now.
I really need to say - "Thank you" to Meerkat (David), to all the people here who are taking a physical stand in helping, and to all the people who cannot be there to help but who obviously are eager to stand up.
Thank you all - Meer especially - but all. I feel heartened about humanity, and if I can help I will.

katiedobe
02-08-2007, 10:26 PM
I have told you before and I will tell you again.

You sure are a nice guy Lew. Glad to know you.

bamamick
02-08-2007, 10:42 PM
A kind soul is a treasure on this earth nowadays. Your friendship for David is a treasure.

Mickey Lake

Lew Barrett
02-09-2007, 01:28 AM
Is there any music Meer especially likes? Maybe we could make him a CD to listen too.

David is withdrawing from an interest in the pleasures we'd normally associate with a full and rich life. I think it's a good suggestion Elf, and we could organize a little boom box (I have one) to play some tunes on but one observes that in between his conversations with us, he sleeps and rests in some sort of middle world.
I will ask him because in his healthy life, he has a real love for music, but we have found him generally disinterested in his usual activities. As any number of us can attest, to speak with David on the phone or in person is to identify a still vital and working mind. But if you sit quietly with him, he very quickly travels to Zanadu, and from this place, one feels reluctant to rouse him.

Friends, Meerkat, the Tylers and Barretts again thank you. Thanks to Bill Thompson for taking the load today.

elf
02-09-2007, 07:06 AM
When I'm in a middle world, my music rests there with me and is a comfort, especially the most loved pieces which have been a comfort or distraction at some other point in my life.

Maybe it depends on the kind of music, but I thought I'd throw it out and see if we could do anything like that.

Let us know if you think that might be pleasant for Meer.

Wild Dingo
02-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Lew... I was wondering with the music thoughts... (THANKS ELF! :cool: ) if he is as you say "but we have found him generally disinterested in his usual activities." music in the background particularily music he particularily likes and enjoys whilst he is "under" or asleep or even in that place you call Zanadu can reach out and touch him better and easier than anything else

When Jos grandmother was going (lung cancer along with a whole bodies worth of the stuff) the best that anyone could do for her was to have Vivaldi or Bach her two favorite composers playing softly in the backgroun... it was like a salve if you will... didnt releive the pain or suffering she endured right to the end but you could sence and feel an easing within her as the notes reached her through the medication and pain

We also associate music with people events and places of importance through our lives... knowing what music a person enjoys for a certain person memory or time in their lives helps them

Its just a thought that could help David... if however its not seen as a "viable" thought then like anything else we may come up with its okay to just let it pass... Im its a thought that maybe could help with no pressure upon it.
Cheers

Lew Barrett
02-09-2007, 10:21 AM
You remind me that David has a small system at the apartment that he is fond of. I'll see if we can't source it; perhaps Bob can get a hold of it. As I recall, David's taste is eclectic, but I don't know what his favorite genres are. I'll see what can be determined. If nothing else, it would be pleasant for his visitors. Thanks for the suggestion and offer folks. I'll let you know if we need any program material too. I do believe he has a small library, as well.
Without going into detail at this point, there will be something we can all do together that will be important, and we'll let you all know as we develop some plans.

Bill Thompson
02-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Lew and Rick,
As I was planning to visit Meer Saturday, I could go over to his apartment on Saturday afternoon to pick up the music system if Bob S. can get permission from the apt management to remove the system from Meer's apartment. If that can happen, I will bring it over to the nursing home and set it up in the room.
Since Bob S and I have not met each other, it might be a good idea if you or Rick called him about this rather than me. If this idea comes together, can the music system parts fit into a set of BMW R100 sidecases and a large topcase. If not, I'll drive the truck.

Lew Barrett
02-10-2007, 01:26 AM
Well, sho' nuf the Kat would like some tunes, just as Elf suggested

I asked him and he said yeah, that would be nice. He likes Baroque and Romantic classics and jazz, but didn't say what kind. I'm thinking easy listening stuff; because he's in the hospital. Baroque is by nature "easy listening." I like it too.
Bill,
He says he doesn't want his Tivoli (I think that's what he has....a Tivoli radio/CD) because he's afraid it will get lost or misplaced in the home. Arguing with him isn't worth the time, we should just do whatever makes sense and bringing him his radio is sensible.
We do have a small boom box I can bring over to him this weekend, which I will do as a backup. However, if you can get his thing, that would be great, and we should.disobey his orders because it is just as likely to disappear from the apartment; more so in fact. It should easily fit in the Beamer's System sidecases. So if you want to implement your plan, that would be fine.

Elf, should you or anybody else want to rip us a few assorted jazz things, that would be great. My jazz vocabulary is limited to little more than Ella...I'm a rocker myself. We could use a few classics too, but we don't need a flood, just a few. Everything we bring into the room will have to follow him to the next place they move him. He'll probably be just as interested in listening to the radio because he can't get out of bed anyway, and for most of the day, there's nobody there to feed the CD player.

I'll dual post this last bit to Meerkat News so I don't have to write up two different journal entries.

Tonight, as a first, I read to David from the Economist. I'm bringing the Chronicles of Narnia for the next read. Lindy says she'll get me a copy. The Economist is interesting but somewhat difficult for reading aloud. I listed the table of contents and called out the articles, then he told me what to read. Who knew how much weapons grade nuclear material they were spiriting out of Russia? Thank you Carl.

As noted elsewhere, we had a nice talk with Ed Harrow tonight, who called while we were there.

His left eye is giving him a lot of trouble, and it is difficult to look at. I can't imagine what it is like to have to look through it. I'm sure he's blind in that eye, his right one seems to be failing.

Lew