PDA

View Full Version : Simple potato soup

ishmael
02-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Someone asked about juicing up a potato soup awhile back. I've been tinkering with this recipe for years, and I think I've finally hit it pretty well.

One medium onion, chopped coarse
Two medium carrots, quartered and diced
Two medium celery ribs, diced fairly fine
Three cloves garlic, fine mince
Six russet potatoes,(peeled, or well scrubbed), halved and cut into half inch slices

1/2 tsp. dried thyme, rubbed
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes(more or less, depending on how much heat you like)
Two bay leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste

Tablespoon each butter and EVOO

Parmesan cheese

In a soup pot heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Sweat the vegetables with the spices except for the bay, ten minutes. Add the taters and the bay, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer. Cook until the taters are just tender, maybe twenty minutes, Squash some of the taters against the side of the pot with a spoon to thicken, and simmer another ten. Serve and top with grated parmesan.

Options

In the last ten minutes you can add some diced sweet pepper, roasted sweet red pepper, frozen corn, or whatever you fancy, but it's good without.

P.S. I tried it without peeling the taters(I hate peeling taters) for the first time tonight. It adds an interesting different texture. Some of the peels come off, and some stay on.

Claudia
02-06-2007, 09:10 PM
Sounds great Ish.:D

paladin
02-06-2007, 09:16 PM
or toss in a handfull of halved cherry termaters.....

JimM
02-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Ish
I prefer to use chicken broth rather than water for the base of my potato soup. It increases the protein in the soup and makes it a little more filling and it is so good.

Memphis Mike
02-06-2007, 10:40 PM
or toss in a handfull of halved cherry termaters.....

Geez! You Maryland folks is weird.:rolleyes: But I shouldn't knock it. The last time I had vittles there it was purty good.

Nanoose
02-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Ish
I prefer to use chicken broth rather than water for the base of my potato soup. It increases the protein in the soup...

?? Are you SURE about that?

Nicholas Carey
02-07-2007, 04:52 AM
You forgot the bacon, ish. It's all about the bacon.

5 pounds leeks
2 T olive oil
1/2 pound lean, country-style (e.g., actually smoked) bacon, diced.
2 pounds Yellow Finn or other medium-starch potato.
5 or so stalks of fresh thyme.
fresh bay leaves if you can manage it (if you can't, skip it -- dried bay is so lame as to not be worth the effort).
parsley.
salt/pepper.

Using cotton or linen cooking twine, tie the thyme, parsley and bay into a bouquet garni (use 1-2 of the leftover tough green outer leaves of the leeks to bundle things up). As far as knots and marlinspike cooking go, I prefer single constrictor here.

Trim off the toughest green leaves off the leeks. Quarter them lengthwise, leavingthem attached at the root. Fan them and rinse them under running water to remove the mud/sand between the layers. Slice them crosswise into thin strips.

Heat the oil (I use butter) until hot but not smoking (medium-high heat). Add the bacon, reduce the heat and saute until crisp. Remove the bacon (leave the bacon fat in the pan!). Place the bacon between layers of paper towels to absorbe excess fat -- we want this stuff crisp.

Add the leeks. and potatoes. Toss to coat with the bacon fat. Cook until the leeks are wilted and softened.

Add the bouquet garni and 2 quarts or so cold water and salt (2-3 teaspoons) to taste. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or an hour or so, or until the 'taties have given there all and the [i]bouquet[i] has sufficiently flavored the repast.

Turn off the heat and let the soup rest for 1 hour+ so the flavor can mingle.

Remove the bouquet garni or what's left of it.

Depending on your proclivities, you might hit the ol' soup with the immersion blender (if you've got one -- the old school would take a portion of the soup (1/4 or less) and either sieve it or run it through a food mill). Not to excess though -- the point of this exercise is to add a certain creaminess to the soup -- we don't want Vichyssoise, this is a peasant soup.

Serve it up, sprinkling each serving with the reserved bacon -- adding a nice bit o'crunchiness -- and lots of splendiforous black pepper. If you garnish it with a little freshly minced parsley, chives or scallions over each serving, it makes a nice presentation (the contrast between the green garnish and the soup is pleasing to the eye.) I'm rather fond of chives/scallions for this as the aromatics, I think, add a lot to the soup.

Popeye
02-07-2007, 07:52 AM
yup , bacon and nobody mentions using a half and half

savory garnish and a dash of evoo at the end to shine it up

Joe Dupere
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
My youngest daughter loves potato soup. When she came back from her semester in England a couple years back, we asked her what special dish she wanted for her welcome back dinner, and she wanted potato soup. I'd
post my wife's recipe, but the only thing that's consistent is potatoes, onion and butter, beyond that, she makes it different every time.

Joe, FPoP

Popeye
02-07-2007, 10:09 AM
try also german potato salad , potato fried in rendered bacon , add buttermilk

about as peasant as it gets

ishmael
02-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Some delish sounding suggestions. When I said "simple" I was talking about using stuff I almost always have in the larder, but you can get fancier, no doubt. Leeks are great for potato soup, but I don't have them unless I put them on my list that week. Same with fresh herbs.

As to chicken stock or cream, I've cut way back on animal products(obviously not completely eliminated what with the butter and cheese), and the olive oil and butter make it rich enough to my tastes. But have at it!

Vince Brennan
02-07-2007, 03:03 PM
Ish: made yours today and it's just finer 'n froghair. (used Romano instead of parmesan...tangy!) I will try Master Carey's "carnivore's special" in a day or two (sounds good) but right now....POPEYE! German Potato(e) Salad was one of my Mom's best things but I wasn't cooking when she passed and so have no concept how to make it.... wanna post a recipe?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Buehler?

Buehler?

Stiletto
02-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Thanks for that Jack, like any good recipe it can be used on its own or as a starting point for something else.