PDA

View Full Version : My youngest is going to Northern Ireland.

bamamick
02-06-2007, 02:24 PM
She is going to do a semester at a school in Northern Ireland. I haven't seen the details, frankly because they (the four women of my family) didn't want me to see it until they had worked out certain issues (like who was paying for this). Turns out that her scholarships will pay for it and that the credits will count towards her degree here, or so I am told. I have never heard of such a thing.

She is a political science major with an eye towards becoming a lawyer. This will probably look good on her post-grad application, and she has always wanted to do something like this ever since she was in high school. We passed on a trip for her to Australia this summer, but this looks like a good move on her part and though I will worry I will not stop her from going.

Any advice? Similiar experiences? Worries?

Mickey Lake

TimH
02-06-2007, 02:34 PM
Sounds like a fun adventure for her.

Joe Dupere
02-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Mickey, most schools do let a student use their scholarships to do an exchange semester, and the credits usually do transfer back, as long as the two schools have an exchange program set up, or belong to equivalent exchange consortiums. So, based on what you've said, it sounds legit.

My older daughter did a semester in Ireland, and it was actually cheaper than the school here in the states, so we made out okay. On the other hand, my youngest daughter did an exchange to England a couple of years ago, and the program cost more than her school here, so on the whole I guess the two experiences balanced out.

Both of my daughters loved their semesters away, made lots of friends and have good memories. One thing you might want to look into, depending on how much 'free' time she'll have is a BritRail, (EuroRail?) pass so she can travel to the continent if she has the time. Both of my daughters' programs gave them 4 days in class and three day weekends so they both did a good deal of traveling, plus the day trips were really inexpensive. They both found that things cost more than they were used to paying here, or perhaps it seemed that way because of the exchange rates, but your daughter will want to make sure she has an adequate discretionary fund. We used a AAA money card for my youngest daughter, which allowed us to replenish it three times.

My son did a couple of semesters away in the middle east, but the Marines covered all his expenses!!

Joe, FPoP

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
I feel I should pass on a warning about the most dangerous thing in Northern Ireland...

...it's the breakfast!

Not for nothing do they call it "a heart attack on a plate!"

Lovely place, lovely people. Countryside is really spectacularly pretty.

Eurorail pass is a good idea. NB Eire uses Euros, Northern Ireland uses Sterling. Good idea to have some of both!

And a good raincoat!

paladin
02-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Youngest daughter spent 4 years in school in Ireland, graduated...loved it...son spent two years, came home and went to Seattle for school....he thought the school in Ireland was a bit.......rigid...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-06-2007, 04:35 PM
Does this "semester" overlap with this event (http://www.dublinevents.com/events/sports/dragon-world-championships-2007-02sep.php)?

If not, why not?

Andrew Craig-Bennett
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
There are some pedants (but not members of the Union of Pedants Nit-Pickers and Allied Trades. (UPNPAT)) who wonder how it is that a Republic has a brace of Royal yacht clubs and a Royal National Lifeboat Institution. The answer appears to be that nobody is much bothered by it.

bamamick
02-06-2007, 06:38 PM
The positive reinforcement did me a lot of good. The kid doesn't need it. She is bound for the world. I honestly don't see her living in our little part of Alabama when she finishes with school.

P.I., as a matter of fact the World's does happen during her stay in Northern Ireland. As much as I would love to be involved in it, this is our 25th wedding anniversary year, and long trips to regattas aren't much in the plans. I have a lot planned here in North America, but the time involved in the big Dragon stuff just isn't in the cards right now.

Thanks again guys.

Mickey Lake

Tom Hunter
02-06-2007, 07:23 PM
Useful advice:

Don't order a Black and Tan in a bar

Wanting a fag has nothing to do with you sexual preference

George Jung
02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
My first daughter spent a semester at Cambridge after her sophmore year at University; I believe it was a life changing experience for her. (And I also came here for advice before she went - and received many valuable pointers. Thanks again!). The course work was pretty intense (she was the only non-English major/graduate student participating), but one of the more rewarding courses of study she's experienced. Besides being very comfortable traveling (and doing so safely), she managed to make some friends, among her best, from parts of the world path she'd likely not cross otherwise. And the traveling on the weekends; fantastic, incomparable experiences. Makes ya wish you were going, eh?

jack grebe
02-06-2007, 11:46 PM
It's hard to watch them fly, but to see them soar is amazing.
I wish her well, you should do the same, knowing you did the best you could.