PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a day makes HUDSON FROZE

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Yesterday, I went down to the waters edge, just little crispy around the edge.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pa76c3a250536b3b77cb97c4fcd04193d/eac6d0d5.jpg

This morning and anouther night in the deep freeze was all it needed.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pc571c0aac2b6d5e6addc62a72c6a2cdd/eac6d12c.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p49959c378aa299338d5de3ed0b5c7d31/eac6d0f4.jpg

CCCCCCCOLD OUT THERE :eek: :eek: :eek:

Mrleft8
02-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Go ahead Joe....I double dog dare ya.....See if it can hold your weight....:D

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Go ahead Joe....I double dog dare ya.....See if it can hold your weight....:D

Na thats OK I had a big breakfast, thinking about having a bigger lunch :D But you're just wiry enough to give it a try lefty, come on over I'll film it ;)

huisjen
02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
The Maine Warden Service says 4" before you should try walking on it, and 6" before you drive on it.

Dan

TomF
02-06-2007, 01:13 PM
The Maine Warden Service says 4" before you should try walking on it, and 6" before you drive on it.

DanThey waited 'till they had 28" of ice on the Rideau Canal before setting up shop for Winterlude in Ottawa last week. But then, they were expecting 50,000 people.

t.

Bruce Hooke
02-06-2007, 02:48 PM
That's definitely not walkable ice in those pictures, but it is very cool looking. The lakes and ponds around here are frozen solid, thick enough to skate on, which makes me very happy because I love skating...

PatCox
02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
My little lagoon is frozen except for about 30 feet around my boat. All I have in it is a little engine room heater with a thermostat set at 38. Could that be keeping such a large area ice free?

Keith Wilson
02-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Hey, Joe, didja ever read Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin? If you haven't, now's the time, before it warms up.

Bruce Hooke
02-06-2007, 03:25 PM
My little lagoon is frozen except for about 30 feet around my boat. All I have in it is a little engine room heater with a thermostat set at 38. Could that be keeping such a large area ice free?

Seems unlikely to me. I'd be looking first at other factors like whether the bottom is different in that area in a way that impacts the development of ice. The interaction of the sun and the boat might also have something to do with it, but if that is the case I'd expect more ice on the north side of the boat. I assume the boat is at some sort of a slip or dock that holds it in position. If it is at a mooring then it could simply be the movement of the boat that is preventing the formation of ice.

Bruce Taylor
02-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Was the ice growling?

When the Gatineau freezes up in front of our place the sound is incredible.

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey, Joe, didja ever read Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin? If you haven't, now's the time, before it warms up.

Damn Keith were we separated at birth or what :eek: ???? But you ended up with the bigger more eloquent brain ;)

Mark Helprin Winter's Tale is one of my formative books of my life. I love that book I love the way he describes things like green paint and snow and cold. Wonderfully well written story I think it's one of his best. I Loved it so much I went and saw him giving a reading of it at the old Scribners in NYC. Not a winter passes that I dont think of that book. Weird you would mention it.

Keith Wilson
02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Not at birth; I'm too old. ;) You know he's a seriously right-wing pundit, right? Writes for the Wall Street Journal editorial page and the National Review and like that? It doesn't matter, of course; anyone who can write like that can be forgiven almost any kind of weirdness. I found Winter's Tale completely by accident at the checkout counter in the supermarket, of all places, and was astounded, absolutely astounded. Maybe I should read it again; it's almost cold enough. And one can almost believe that the vibration of certain types of old marine engines can raise the dead.

PatCox
02-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Mark Helprin, that pretentious Randite windbag? Ughh. Tried to read "Refiners Fire" and got too disgusted to continue. Nevertheless, maybe I will try this Winters Tale based on your guys description.

Catch 22 is the most formative book of my life.

Keith Wilson
02-06-2007, 05:25 PM
Refiner's Fire is his first novel; he got better later. You have to ignore the politics, alas, and I get the feeling he's rather a jerk, but his best writing more than makes up for it. Yes, he's a pretentious Randite windbag, but a very very talented Randite windbag.

KNOCKABOUT
02-06-2007, 05:53 PM
Well the Hudson is fozen solid up by me... think I'll break out the ice boat this year.

Keith Wilson
02-06-2007, 05:56 PM
The Iron Law of Iceboats: As soon as you get it out of storage and all ready, it snows six inches.

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
Not at birth; I'm too old. ;) You know he's a seriously right-wing pundit, right? Writes for the Wall Street Journal editorial page and the National Review and like that?

Broke my heart when I found that out :(. But he writes hell of great fiction. Amazing that he is so sensitive in his descriptive narrative, and can be such a right-wing pundit.