PDA

View Full Version : Foster films and Youtube

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Okay Ive been watchin the Foster all night marathon on the youtube station here on the computer :cool: ...and was starting to wonder does anyone else reckon Joeboy sounds and looks like Bruce Willis? :eek: special note should be taken of his "talking to god" film ;)

Anyway!! I was wondering how you do something like that? Was wonderin if its easy as or a major learning curve to put something together and whack it up? wouldnt mind havin a bash at that! :D

Anyway aside from Joeboys coming comment of "APPLE" which I aint got hows it done?
Cheers!

Phillip Allen
02-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Dingo...I think you would do well with it...talk to Joe about it

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 10:15 AM
Its so easy, I seriously should spend more time and less time just whacking em up on YouTube. The Meerkat Movie took the most time assembling all the images and setting them exactly to the music, getting all the rainbow photos in the right spot and then adding titles and cross dissolves and motion with each photo.

But just shooting gonzo style video is so freakin easy, just grab the digital video camera and let your personality write the script. Edit all the crap out add a little tune and slap that puppy up on the ol YouTube.

Ahh but how do YOU my Dingo brother do it. Hmmmm well ya got to get yerself a Mac ;) with iMovie to edit the film it syncs with iTunes makes it so easy to place sound in the movie. It even comes with sound effects like that THUNDER in my Talking to God movie. After you assemble and edit the movie you cant just upload the video to YouTube it's way too big of a file so you have to compress it. I use a little free-ware program called iSquint its a little wonky and it takes a long time to compress and after all that sometimes the sound drops off midway and you have to compress it again. :( But usually I can get it to work now on the first go around.

After you compress it you have to have a YouTube account which is easy to set up. Then you just upload the compressed mp4 video to the site and it gives you a link to post. It even gives you some HTML that you could conceivably be able to broadcast the video in a website or a thread but I have not been able to get that to work on the WBF yet.

I Hope that helps I look forward to looking at lots of videos from forum members in the future. Hell this is THE FUTURE :D Enjoy

Oh and yea I get the Bruce Willis thing a lot ;)

Edited to add; Dingo you don't have to get a Mac. I'm sure the thousands of videos on YouTube some might have been made on a Wintel ;) I just don't know how to do it ;) :D

John of Phoenix
02-06-2007, 10:21 AM
No link?

Nanoose
02-06-2007, 10:22 AM
Joe - what's the link for your Talking to God? Went to UTube and couldn't find.

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 10:29 AM

Me talking to God Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVX5-ADWemk

My Channel ( yea kinda cool ) :D

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fosterhere

Nanoose
02-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Yup - that's a GOODIE, capital G! :)

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 10:33 AM

Gidday Deb... go here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVX5-ADWemk) I think?
Whahoooooo!! that worked!! ... and settin up the account was easy as :cool: hard parts gonna be doin a flamin movie :rolleyes: me bein camera shy an all :D

Thanks Joe :cool:

So will iSquint work with windoze XP or just with mac?

Damn your flamin quick Joeboy!! ;)

glenallen
02-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Great job, Joe, but having heard the voice of God for the first time I find it distressing that God has that danged New York accent.
Could be bad news for me!

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Great job, Joe, but having heard the voice of God for the first time I find it distressing that God has that danged New York accent.
Could be bad news for me!

Interesting when I hear the voice of god she sounds like an Aussie... yet when Joeboy talks to god he sounds like a New Yorker?... what gives eh?... mind you I reckon she knows I wont listen to a bloke so she disguises herself for Joeboy and reveals herself to me!! :cool:

ahhh me boy yer gots a way with the sheilas! :D Wonder if I can get her to have a yarn to me while Ive got a camera stuck to me paw? mmmm ;)

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Dingo subscribe to my channel and I will subscribe to yours.

TomF
02-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Dingo subscribe to my channel and I will subscribe to yours.this is, like, cable?:D

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Dingo subscribe to my channel and I will subscribe to yours.

:D :D Already have Joeboy already have ;) Well I think I have??? maybe I just put yer in me favorites? :rolleyes: hang on a tic an I'll have a gander

yep sayin Im already subscribed to "fosterfilms videos" :cool:

sadly WildDingoFilms has yet to start production :(

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 11:15 AM
this is, like, cable?:D

Ya know the funny thing is it's kinda true. Since I have become addicted to YouTube I have watched more YT Videos than cable TV.

You will even notice on my channel I have two videos regarding a channel I subscribe this other wacky bald dude, Renneto. Seems you can video reply to other channels. Its a very interesting community with all the strife and flame wars that we have on the old WBF only they are video flame wars LOL :D

Lots of fun, Kinda like interactive TV ;)

Bruce Taylor
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
Since I have become addicted to YouTube I have watched more YT Videos than cable TV.

Our TV hasn't been turned on for about 3 months (in a house with three kids). :cool:

Daughter Kate makes videos and posts them on YouTube. She's used Windows Moviemaker, mostly; but then we got that Mac, and yeah...she prefers Imovie.

I hate to feed Joe's Apple fetish, but I have to admit the machine is really well set up for this kind of thing. A couple of weekends ago we had a gathering of families in a group of cabins on a lake a few hours north of here. One morning when it was too cold to ski, the kids wrote a comedy sketch, performed it, loaded it into the Mac, edited it, added special effects and credits, then wrote and recorded a new song for their movie's soundtrack, mixed up a pretty convincing instrumental arrangement, using Garage Band....in about two hours.

They did it with the software that comes bundled with the operating system, and they made it look easy.

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 12:03 PM
Pssssst it is easy ;) It's a ,Mac . ;)

Mrleft8
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
It's times like these that I'm really disappointed that West st. still hasn't got DSL...

Bruce Taylor
02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
It's times like these that I'm really disappointed that West st. still hasn't got DSL...

My in-laws live 20-30 minutes from the White House...and they can't get DSL either. :eek:

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 12:13 PM

Yea lefty whats up with that man ???? It's not like you live up in the hinterlands of Maine with Dan. Ewwwww shutter I just had a vision of Dan and Lefty living huddled together in a farm house in the back woods of Maine. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Anyway Lefty you live in Con-Nnnnneecti-cut yah ya know in the outer whitelandia you should have high-speed by now. :rolleyes:

Mrleft8
02-06-2007, 12:17 PM
You'd think.....Pretty much every street but West st. has it...

Michael s/v Sannyasin
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Dingo, for Windows PCs, here are some options:

first, you have to get the video off of your camera on to your hard drive (having a lot of hard drive space helps alot, I have 3 or 4 external Maxtor drives that are about 300GB each), but, you won't need that much unless you want to do a bunch of hour long videos...

Your camera should come with software to "capture" the video to your hard-drive. If not, then let us know and we can try to find something that will work for your hardware.

After you have it on your hard-drive, you will want to edit it at least a little bit. YouTube is pretty raw, so, it doesn't have to have great effects... you mostly just need to trim the bits. I use a program called Adobe Premiere, but it is kind of expensive (usually... mine came with the laptop). Sometimes, Windows PC's come with something called MovieMaker or ULead Movie something... any of those program can be used to edit your movie. In a worst case scenario, perhaps when you are capturing the video, you can just capture the bit you want to put up on YouTube, then, no more editing is required.

Now, a note about editing, YouTube has a max time limit of 10 minutes (you might be able to go over by a couple of seconds, but don't push it). So, always plan for 10 minutes or less of video.

As Joe said, your raw video will be too big. The total file size cannot exceed 100MB unless you have a Director Account (Joe, does that mean you pay for your YouTube account?).

You can limit the size of your file in two ways, you can make it shorter, or, you can compress it. On Windows (or Macs) you can use QuickTime Pro. You probably already have the QuickTime player on your computer, and if you go up to the Apple website, you can purchase QuickTime Pro (basically, download the latest free QuickTime Player, then register the QuickTime Pro and they will send you a registration key to unlock the Pro features of the free QuickTime player). QuickTime Pro costs about $30 and it is very useful.

QuickTime Pro can read just about any movie type, so, whatever your camera captures the raw video as, QuickTime will probably be able to read it. Likewise, if you edit the video and save it as a .mov or .mp4 or .avi type of file, QuickTime will be able to read it.

Note, you can even do some basic editing in QuickTime, trimming off the beginning or end, combining two bits of video etc, no fancy transitions that I'm aware of.

Once you open up QuickTime and read your movie in, you'll want to click the File Export menu. I choose the option to export to .MP4 format, I check the options and under size I reduce the size to 360X240... that is half the size of normal video which is 720X480. YouTube recommends 320X240, however I believe that this will squeeze your video horizontally a bit. However, they might display it at 320X240 no matter what you compress your video to, so, it might not matter either way.

There will also be a quality slider transfer speed... something like bits per second... you want to pick the one that says something like will stream over DSL at XXXX (XXXX is a number like 1024). The lower the number, the smaller the file size, but the crappier the image is. You want this number to be the highest number you can get, but still be under your 100mb file size limit. But, you'll have to experiment with this, as if the number is too high, it might not play well for most people over the internet... I usually pick the number option that mentions that it will stream over DSL or Cable connections.

There are some other options that YouTube recommends such as selecting MP3 audio quality.

Then Export the movie. It will save a copy of your movie with a .mp4 extension

Once you have a movie whose file size is less than 100mb, then you can open a browser to YouTube, click the Upload Videos button, fill out the form, the most important option is the one asking if you want to make the video public... if you don't, then it takes a lot of work to get your friends to be able to view them, browse for your .MP4 movie and upload it. Depending on your connection speed, it could take several minutes to hours to upload your video.

I had trouble with the regular upload button, so, I always click the option that says "if you have trouble uploading videos, click here", and then I fill out that form instead.

Your movie will not appear for a while. I think someone at YouTube actually watches it first and decides whether it is within their user guidelines, and then they make it available under your "channel". It may take at least 24 hours before you or your friends would be able to find your video using the search feature, because I think that they probably "re-index" their search list overnight. However, as soon as your video is available under your My Videos page, you'll be able to take the link that they provide for you and you could post that link here or send it to friends to view your video.

Here is my channel:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mdougan1000

Looking forward to your videos!

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Damn Michael :eek: :eek: :eek: s/v Sannyasin that is A LOT more work than having a Mac. Hell if I had to do all that I would never produce a single video ;)

Oh and no I did not have to pay for my director account I was offered one because I'm kinda good at making videos or so YouTube thinks LOL ;)

Oh and I'm subscribing to your channel :)

Edited to add Oh wait I already subscribe to your channel :P

StevenBauer
02-06-2007, 05:51 PM
Hey Shane. It can be done really easy. You don't even need a video camera. It won't be as flash as these guys videos but you can just make a little video clip with your regular digital camera. I used an old 3 megapixel Kodak Easyshare camera to make this clip. You just upload it to Youtube. No editing or compressing or anything.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxYcUhTiJM4

Steven

Michael s/v Sannyasin
02-06-2007, 05:54 PM
and vice/versa on the subscriptions

actually, I don't think that there are any more steps on Windows than what you're doing on a mac, except that maybe iMovie consolidates some of those steps into one package.

I think Adobe Premiere might too, things like capturing video directly into Adobe Premiere, if I actually paid for the pro version and not just the lite version that came with my camera. Likewise, Adobe Premiere can let you output your video in many different formats, so, that would probably eliminate the need for the QuickTime Pro.

But, I'm cheap! So, I have to do more work. Generally, I like to output my edited videos to full uncompressed quality, in case I want to burn them to DVD or something... then, I take that video and export a copy to the mp4 format and shrunken down to YouTube size. So, the extra work serves a purpose.

It is a kick to get anything up on YouTube, but as I'm sure you've discovered, the real kick is editing all the bits together, mixing the sound track, titles... I guess first learn the process front to back, then go back for the details.

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Now this is cool!! ;) I mean I open an account ask a question get responses an suddenly Ive subscribed to 3 accounts and I havent even taken a single movie yet!! :D :cool:

So... Now having read Michael and Joes posts seems I will need a program that will compress the raw film down? "iSquint" or Quick Time Pro... one free but unknown yet if would work on windoze the other Id have to purchase... sooo questions remain... the windoze movie maker thing wont shrink or compress the movie? or it will?

I can see me spending some serious time at the laptop instead of this desktop :rolleyes: it will need to be on that thing cause this is booked most times of the day and night :mad:

So I will check what programs aside from windoze movie maker it has and get back to you... this desktop has the quick thing player interactual movie maker (came with camera) and logitech quick cam... the laptop should have the same or very similar... so will see and get back to you... mmm even if I just do a wee "gidday mates" one should get the old juices flowing a tad eh?

Cheers for the help :cool:

okay seems iSquint is for macaddacks only :( so next recommenadation? Quick time pro? mmm lessee

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Dingo try the quick capture feature on you-tube I think it automatically compresses, and your logitec camera perfectly.

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 08:22 PM
No worries Joe will do

Just going through that quicktime thing... seems I have player 7 and with the films already made and on the computer (lukas mainly) I will have a go and see what happens?

okay uploaded one and am in the processes of uploading another... both of little lukas... size is gonna be an issue I think since the quicktime thing Ive got I havent figured out where or if it tells you how big the thing is so a bit of hit an miss till I get the hang of it

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 08:24 PM
When you get YouTube all down here is your next addiction. :D :D :D

http://www.stickam.com

Bruce Taylor
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Shane, if you're using Windows XP you should have Windows Movie Maker on your system. That'll get you started, I think.

Click on Start --> Program Files --> Accessories --> Windows Movie Maker.

Michael s/v Sannyasin
02-06-2007, 09:07 PM
The quicktime thingy you have is probably just the "free player". That is fine for playing videos, but if you want to use Quicktime to convert your video from one format to another (as in shrinking it down in mp4 format for YouTube), then you'll need the Pro version. If you are going to actually pay for the pro version, you might as well download the latest version.

It is entirely possible that whatever movie editing software you might have, will be able to output a movie acceptable to YouTube. Just keep in mind their limits, 10 minutes and 100mb. So, try every Export option in your editing software to arrive at that spot. Generally, if you pick any option that says save in mp4 format, and you set the output size to either 360X240 or 320X240, then you will probably be alright.

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
First one I uploaded is crappy as all hell... all pixelated :mad: Just waiting on the next one to be "approved" but the first took mere seconds to be approved so hopefully this other one will be just as quick :cool: then I'll gladly post a link ;)

JOEBOY!!! One of these things is enough for this little black duck mate! strewth hard enough gettin me head around this you tube thing! :rolleyes:

okay here you go!! Lukas's first ever performance!! :cool:
Lukas and Tiff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKiFVoQ4Dw) mmmm the first frames showing but keeps tellin me to wait for a few minutes... ah well

waiting

waiting

waiting

WHAHOOO!!! Lukas is a star!! :D:D no sound though so will have to work on that eh? movie is now a year old :eek: ;)

Thanks fellas... I can see this is going to be the start of a whole new life on the bloody computer!! what a hoot!! I will have a go with the movie player and the program that came with the computer... if that uploads without a hitch then Im in business!! ROCK ON WILD DINGO FILMS!! Steven Speilberg eat yer heart out! :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Wonderful first video http://www.woodenboatvb.com/vbulletin/upload/images/icons/icon14.gif

Hard to go wrong with a baby and boobs as a subject. ;)
Me Im just stuck with my bald head and an ol wooden Catboat on the Hudson :D

Katherine
02-06-2007, 09:29 PM
I don't think you're daughter is going to thank you for posting that. :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM

Shhh Katherine I'm casting for my next video are you interested? :D :D :D
I'm going to have to work blue now that I have competition on the WBF Network ;)

Katherine
02-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Sorry Joe. Mine are currently off limits to you. ;) :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Sorry Joe. Mine are currently off limits to you. ;) :D

So there is hope ? :D
I'm setting up the shoot, you can be a star ;)
You obviously don't think like a man, we always see hope ;)

Katherine
02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Joe, considering that I just got ditched for a movie about WWI pilots, you may be moving up in the rankings. :rolleyes: :D

Michael s/v Sannyasin
02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
bloody h@$#

Dingo's a fast learner.

The video quality is great, that is the best that you can expect from YouTube. Played fast and easy on my Cable Hookup.

Sweeeeeeeet!

Wild Dingo
02-06-2007, 09:41 PM

We will see eh? shes due here any tick of the clock and I'll show her... but I dont think shes gonna mind as shes more proud of herself and her bringin young Lukas into the world than I am!! :cool: Anyways you dont actually get to see the boob do you now? nooo so its what all good films are about smoke an mirrors :D

Actually shes not really breast feeding Lukas at all :eek: Illusion... its set up thats a doll shes holding and the mirrors are why it all looks so you know life like an 3D ;) ;) yeah right believe that an I'll let you have this bridge Im sellin for a mere 2mil its in Sydney looks like a coat hanger you know? :D:D

Cheers Michael :cool: YouTube was fast as heck to upload and Im on dialup!! sometimes it gets sluggish more late at night than during the day cause thats when you mob get onboard but... I cant get broadband nor adsl here just dialup so its slow an steady for me ;)

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Joe, considering that I just got ditched for a movie about WWI pilots, you may be moving up in the rankings. :rolleyes: :D

Oooh there's a movie about WWI pilots on ? Where ?? Where ?? :D

See you obviously don't think like a man. :D :D :D

Katherine
02-06-2007, 09:46 PM
See you obviously don't think like a man. :D :D :D Good thing I'm not one then.:p

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 09:49 PM
My goal in life is to find a woman that thinks like a man but is still hetrosexual woman.

If she looks like Penelope Cruze all the better ;)

Katherine
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Let's see:
I spend my life working with cars.
I own a big wooden boat.
I have a garage full of tools.
I'm not too ugly.

Good lord, what do you guys want?

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Show us your boobs :D

Edited to add; Ya know for the camera, for film, for art, for YouTube LOL :D

Michael s/v Sannyasin
02-06-2007, 09:58 PM
I'll second that!

Katherine
02-06-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm not seeing any beads being offered. Besides, I may wish to give someone else proprietary rights.

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey Dingo, Michael, Tar Devil if he ever gets a You-Tube account ;), and anyone else on the forum, we should all put WoodenBoat Forum in the Tags part. This way we can have a sub Channel I even used the WBF URL in my Provided By: Woodenboat Forum to link to this forum. It would be a great way to connect us all by video.

Joe (SoCal)
02-06-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm not seeing any beads being offered. Besides, I may wish to give someone else proprietary rights.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1187695/2/istockphoto_1187695_mardi_gras_beads_6.jpg

paladin
02-06-2007, 10:26 PM
aw, Katherine......come home with me.....it's really cold out tonight, I have three bottles in the cooler, a nice Mouton Cadet, a Pouilly Fuisse, and a bottle of Takara plum wine, could whip up some nice pasta with shrimp, garlic, roasted red peppers, green onions and peanuts.....cherries jubilee for dessert......

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Let's see:
I spend my life working with cars.
I own a big wooden boat.
I have a garage full of tools.
I'm not too ugly.

Good lord, what do you guys want?

Do you clean up nice? :D

Wear girlie stuff EVERY NOW AND THEN???

Jeans/T'shirt/sneakers and a ponytail are great.... But every now and then... A sexy skirt, HIGH heels and some makeup just to remind me why they're around!!!

jack grebe
02-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I'm in New Orleans.....It's Feb.........How many beads ya want:rolleyes:

Isn't it amazing, the white man got Manhattan for a bunch of beads....and it still works today:D

Oh and Kathrine......ya need cash.....that works too;)

Wild Dingo
02-07-2007, 04:14 AM
Hey Dingo, Michael, Tar Devil if he ever gets a You-Tube account ;), and anyone else on the forum, we should all put WoodenBoat Forum in the Tags part. This way we can have a sub Channel I even used the WBF URL in my Provided By: Woodenboat Forum to link to this forum. It would be a great way to connect us all by video.

mmm sounds interesting if I could figure out what your talking about that is! ;) Its yer flamin accent Joeboy!! it confuses me :p

Katherine
02-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Chuck, I'm tempted to take you up on that offer. :D

Dave, just to prove that I'm a girl, I found these absolutely addorable pair of black and silver strappy high heels in the store yesterday. Drool. I couldn't justify the money yesterday, maybe I can today.:p

Joe (SoCal)
02-07-2007, 01:40 PM
you can wear them in my film ..... nothing else though I'm not in competition with Dingo , Baby's and boobs I have to pull out all the stops to get an audience :D :D :D :D

Michael s/v Sannyasin
02-07-2007, 05:45 PM

Well, it's not like airing them out will be wearing them out or anything ;-)

I've seen photos here of Katherine in a dress, proof that it does occur, and, yes, she does clean up nicely!