PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 2 question

ishmael
02-06-2007, 12:01 AM
I upgraded a couple days ago. When I open a link and then go to close it I get a message that says something like: You are about to close X number of links. If I say proceed, everything closes, and I have to reopen whatever I linked from.

I'm a computer idiot. What am I doing wrong, and how do I fix it? In English, please.

Bruce Hooke
02-06-2007, 12:05 AM
You need to close the individual tabs rather than the whole window. Look at the tabs below the menu bars and click on the red x on the tab you want to close. Does that make sense?

ishmael
02-06-2007, 12:15 AM
Ah, I see. First I'd noticed the new tool bar. That works. Thanks.

I'll tell ya, this stuff isn't terribly intuitive. Once you've got the program it makes sense, but I was programmed to the previous without the bar.

Flying Orca
02-06-2007, 08:06 AM
menu

tools

options

tab

(select open new window instead of tab)

When you use a link it will open a new window and be less confusing. The tabs are essentially the same, to close one when there are more than one open click on the little "x" to the far right under your toolbar.

Jake

Yes, but... the whole reason Opera and Firefox introduced tabbed browsing in the first place is that new windows consume far more resources (memory, CPU cycles, etc.) than tabs. Essentially new windows spawn a whole new instance of the entire program, whereas tabs do not.

So while your suggestion works, a better suggestion would be "Learn to work with tabs in windows, and better yet learn what each widget in a window does." ;) Cheers!