PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Idol

Nanoose
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, yesterday was audition day in Vancouver for 'girl'. A day full of hurry up and wait. She made the cut, but decided it wasn't for her - just the whole thing.

I'm very proud of her, and all her 16 years of maturity. Just noticing the self promotion involved in the world of 'fame', and how that is just not her. Her heart is in a different place. It was interesting to see the lights come on, to see the clash of worldviews/values, and see her resolve it. Very proud of the process she went through and the choice she made, even though we encouraged her to carry it through because you always learn something from all of these experiences in life.

She has an amazing voice - been given a beautiful gift. All she has to do is open her mouth and it reduces her dad to tears.

Just a good day....

Flying Orca
02-04-2007, 10:15 PM
As a musician who loathes the whole pop star thing, especially when reduced to the inane drivel of any kind of "idol", I must send kudos to your daughter for "getting it"! (Plus, of course, kudos to you for giving her the clues and values to figure it out for herself.) Go indies go!

TomF
02-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Kudos from here too.

There's a huge difference between being a musician, and being an entertainer. The first tries to make themselves inconspicuous, to let the music be the central experience. The second uses the music to make themselves into the central experience.

Glad your daughter's worked that out.

Nanoose
02-05-2007, 11:42 AM
That's it, Tom. You hit the nail on the head. There's nothing "look at ME!" about her. An amazing gift and talent, but she just has different dreams for it all.

Who was it that was asking lately whether they should become a parent or not? I can't imagine how much poorer my life would be without my kids, and all they have taught me.

Phillip Allen
02-05-2007, 11:48 AM
refreshing...