PDA

View Full Version : I think my TV just crapped the bed

Joe (SoCal)
02-04-2007, 01:51 AM
Right side of the screen went funny so I thought it might be my cable signal, switched channels, then turned it off and on. Started to smell that acrid electronic smell. Turned the thing off and unplugged it.

It's a good TV a ProScan don't know the size but its plenty big. Damn I don't even think they have TV repair men anymore. :(

Oh well two good things

1) Now I start looking at one of those plasmas TV's
2) I don't like football :D

To bad it's not an linux TV then I could take it all apart and add the super gerbil motherboard and try to put it back together with a whole new OS ;)

boylesboats
02-04-2007, 02:29 AM
It the good thing that TV are made cheaper today than it did 25 years ago...
A 19" color TV cost $225.00 in 1982... That when I bought my first TV...
And now at any discount stores a 19" color TV are almost under hundred bucks....

Milo Christensen
02-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Joe, you don't need no stinkin' TV, just a big iPhone!.

Art Read
02-04-2007, 07:22 AM
Did you keep the "smoke" in? That's what's keeps 'em working. Long as you keep the "smoke" inside they can almost always be brought back with a good wack upside the housing...

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-04-2007, 07:47 AM
Get a USB TV tuner - plug it into the McPuter.

Cost, peanuts - and you might get the drivers for the mac year after next.

capt jake
02-04-2007, 08:11 AM
My 8 month old 50" plasma died the other day. Still under warranty, but the repair guy can't even get here until Wednesday. He stated that he would have to call teh mfg and see what the problem might be. First thing I have ever had die on me!

Like you, I don't follow football. I, fortunately, have a very small back up TV in the garage. Just kinda hard to see after getting used to that big thing. ;)

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-04-2007, 08:20 AM
There is real fun on the television.

Good (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIfK_-_uddI)
Clean (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKxtL_67sM)
Fun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srL7cIMFcDg)

S/V Laura Ellen
02-04-2007, 08:23 AM
Joe: Replace the TV with an Apple 30" monitor (nice display). Use your Mac as your DVD player.

Joe (SoCal)
02-04-2007, 09:00 AM
The problem is eeeeeeek I hate to admit this but I like network TV :eek: Yea I like the show HOUSE and CSI and my morning news on Channel 2 and Sunday Morning on CBS and 60 minutes and NOVA on PBS, I like network TV in the background of my life. I like basic cable too I can watch the Discovery channel forever. I also like watching DVD's on TV and not my laptop, just because I have this habit of watching TV AND being on my laptop surfing the web and hanging out on the WBF at the same time.

So this morning I turned the thing on, heard the audio and hoped and prayed that it would all be OK. Then the picture started to come on and there it was the right 1/5th of the screen looked like it was having a seizure :( , then the smell again :( :( turned it off and unplugged.

Strange thing is this is this is the first TV in my life that has ever died on me. I had a TV that my grandmother gave me 25 years ago in my barn at my old place. It survived all sorts of moves and the shop environment and worked fine until the day I gave it away. I just thought TV's last forever. This TV in comparison is the newest TV only about 6 years old. Hmmmmm they just don't make em like they used to.

Just for fun and I'm going to attempt to see if there is such a thing as a TV repair man that makes house calls ;) If not believe it or not I know an old TV repair place in Wapengers, he's real cheep too. If it's a simple fix I can afford to be frugal.

huisjen
02-04-2007, 09:15 AM
...but I like network TV...

You poor fool. ;)

Dan

jack grebe
02-04-2007, 09:44 AM
You poor fool. ;)

Dan
eeeyup:D

capt jake
02-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Just for fun and I'm going to attempt to see if there is such a thing as a TV repair man that makes house calls

That's what I am having done. No way I am lugging that thing across town!

Bob Cleek
02-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Get used to it, Joe. God gave women this intuitive ability to recognize that some appliance or other mechanism is about to crap out just before it does. They don't have any ability to FIX anything, mind you, but just to know it's about to die. This skill is particularly helpful to them when divorcing. They will pick all the stuff that is going to last and leave hubbie everything that will break in the next few months. It looks like an even division, but it never is. Expect "your share" to have to be replaced bit by bit in the next few months. Years from now, the TV she picked will be happily playing away! Just the way it is... the fooking you get for the fooking you got! LOL

Joe (SoCal)
02-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Get used to it, Joe. God gave women this intuitive ability to recognize that some appliance or other mechanism is about to crap out just before it does. They don't have any ability to FIX anything, mind you, but just to know it's about to die. This skill is particularly helpful to them when divorcing. They will pick all the stuff that is going to last and leave hubbie everything that will break in the next few months. It looks like an even division, but it never is. Expect "your share" to have to be replaced bit by bit in the next few months. Years from now, the TV she picked will be happily playing away! Just the way it is... the fooking you get for the fooking you got! LOL

Must be true cause the only TV I wanted was the big man TV we had in the great room and I gave her the other two TV's. :rolleyes: I just had to go borrow :( the small small Sony WEGA from her this afternoon. Till I get a TV repairman this week ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p4d3f2185444513c6bfacf1e9e9c5e672/eacdf981.jpg

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Television is over rated.
It's a time waster.
I get more done listening to CD's or the radio.
My Dad who refuses to buy a color TV (thats right, he still has a black and white) tells me "it'll turn your brain to jelly".
I have a cheapie 19 inch that looks huge if ya sit real close.

Mrleft8
02-04-2007, 09:55 PM
My 13" B/W TV with the lamp cord antennae does everything I need..... Carter has the 20" (or something) with the DISH TV. and remote control etc.
I don't miss it when I'm away, but boy howdy when a storm rolls through durring Jeopardy.......Someone's gonna PAY!
Oh yeah..... Now I remembered what I was gonna post originally....
My fathers color TV just turned into a "Black and Red TV" Do you think that it's toast too?

boylesboats
02-04-2007, 11:39 PM
Mine has a coathanger for rabbit ears

Nanoose
02-05-2007, 12:40 AM
repairman!?!?! Are you kidding?? tv's are part of our disposable society. Can buy a new one for a lot less than the labor to fix one. Time for a trip to Walmart, or Costco, if ya ask me.

skuthorp
02-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Nanoose is right, fill it with concrete and, add a lifting eye and call it a mooring, sell it on ebay.

Ken Hutchins
02-05-2007, 09:59 AM
Don't buy a 'cheap' TV, oh the prices are good, but the cheap units are analog and the analog signal will be gone in about another year leaving you with a TV that will only work with a VCR and the time will come when a replacement VCR will be extinct as the analog signal. Time to invest in a digital TV.

clancy
02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I recieve broadcast channels only with rabbit ears. I've found that most programs I would like to see I can download from Usenet newsgroups. It's amazing what people post out there and you can request any show you would like to view. Popular groups for TV shows are; alt.binaries.tv, alt.binaries.multimedia, and alt.binaries.vintage.tv there are also specialty groups such as alt.binaries.sopranos etc.