PDA

View Full Version : Great Oprah Special On PBS

Memphis Mike
02-03-2007, 05:57 PM
On tracing African American history back to the homeland. Oprah is one of the stars that has done a lot of good with her money.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-03-2007, 05:58 PM
No such thing as a "great" Oprah special.

Memphis Mike
02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
No such thing as a "great" Oprah special.

Well, I thought it was good but I guess Oprah falls into the same bracket as Hillary Clinton. People hate her for no apparent reason.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, I thought it was good but I guess Oprah falls into the same bracket as Hillary Clinton. People hate her for no apparent reason.

I don't hate Oprah, I just don't see what all the fuss is about. Hillary is a different issue...

stumpbumper
02-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Oprah is a great inspiration for many people of all races.

S/V Laura Ellen
02-03-2007, 07:55 PM
Oprah is a great inspiration for many people of all races.

Why?

stumpbumper
02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Ok, so maybe she doesn't inspire 2nd rate citizens of Bright's Cove, Canada.:D :D

S/V Laura Ellen
02-03-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok, so maybe she doesn't inspire 2nd rate citizens of Bright's Cove, Canada.:D :D

Hey, watch it with the second rate crack!:D

But you didn't answer my question! Can't figure it out either can you!

stumpbumper
02-03-2007, 08:32 PM
I didn't answer because I figured, what's the point. It's OK if you don't find her inspiring.

No doubt she is inspiring to many as evidenced by her success - if nothing else. I was thinking more along the lines of her being from an impoverished, broken, black family in Kosciusko, MS; also the victim of abuse and molestation; and her overcoming these obstacles to become one of the wealthiest business women and persons in the world. In addition she seems to relate to people of all ethnicities and nationalities so well without any apparent bigotry, and seems to express a strong sense of duty to give back to society.

Lynn

S/V Laura Ellen
02-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Lynn: I wasn't trying to cause contraversy. I understand the inspirational effect of her success. But I can't understand why she is so successful to begin with. What is it about Oprah that makes her so successful? I may be missing something here because I don't watch talk shows, so my exposure to the "Oprah phenomenon" is very limited.

stumpbumper
02-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Can't really answer that? I do know that she has said she always felt she would be successful. She apparently has that drive just like any other type A person. But it's still remarkable in view of her humble beginnings and racial obstacles.

Lynn

boylesboats
02-03-2007, 11:15 PM
I never did like her

Wild Dingo
02-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Like her? Nope... well not much anyways dont get off on loud brash people :rolleyes: ... but by golly gosh Id do almost anything to get on her show!! :D oooh gawd I would love to tear it loose with Opry!! :D :D poor sheila thought young Steve was a bit hard to handle she aint met the Dingo in full flight yet ;)

And yer right about her success... Id say its been a hell of a ride getting to where she is and she seems thankful for all her successes along the way... doesnt seem too much of the I AM type person and has remembered her roots... so thats a good thing all to often these "famous" people forget where they came from and what they went through to get to where they are... Opry seems to be one of the few who doesnt :cool:

Bob Cleek
02-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Oprah is pure media hype, that's all. Remember the old show, Queen for a Day, where they'd take some sorry low life gal and shower her with new refridgerators and washing machines and everybody would get all teary because some looser got saved from reality?

Well, Oprah just made herself Queen for the Rest of All Time, that's all. She'd like you to think she's a poor child-molested sharecropper's kid who's made good. Baloney. For starters, I think her "Oprah is Harpo spelled backwards" is pure bunk. Yes it is Harpo spelled backwards, but it's a matter of record that her registered name is Orpah Gail Winfrey, Orpah after some biblical character. The "Oprah" is a misspelling. Harpo didn't have anything to do with it, except that it is a catchy little bit of fluff that serves her purposes.

She wasn't a poor sharecropper, either. He dad was a military man who ended up a city councilman. She was herself somewhat prodigious, reportedly reading by age 3.

You can't take it away from her that she is a great business woman and entrepreneur. Oprah this and Oprah that all over the place. She is one of the richest people around at this point. A certain segment of the public seem infatuated by her, particularly with respect to her being an authority on whatever she anoints herself an authority on.

Now, does any of that impact me to the point that I can justify not liking her? Well, probably not. The critical question, however, is "Does Oprah, for all her millions, really produce anything of value equivalent to the money she's made?" The answer has got to be a resounding "Hell no!"

Oh yea, and as for the matter at hand... What interest do I have in PBS tracing the ancestry of Oprah Winfrey, as opposed to say, Paris Hilton oro Brittney Spears? None whatsoever. Who cares? Well that's the idiocy of "celebrity." Apparently people DO give a sh*t about Winfrey's ancestry, which is pretty much of a hoot. What difference does it make. It isn't like Jefferson Davis was her great grandfather... which would be news of a minor nature and somewhat amusing. If you want to know what is wrong with America and why we are in the mess we are in all over the world, look no further than the headlines of all the magazines at the supermarket checkout stands. This is was SELLS to America's housewives and what the media believes their brains are good for: "So and so famous this week is boffing so and so famous last week's boyfriend." "Aliens subject Hilary Clinton to anal probe." "Eat junk food and lose weight without exercise." "Sixteen sex tricks that will keep your man" by a Times Square hooker. And, of course, "Oprah, Oprah, Oprah...."

seanz
02-04-2007, 04:03 PM
[quote=Wild Dingo;1494024]Like her? Nope... well not much anyways dont get off on loud brash people :rolleyes: ... but by golly gosh Id do almost anything to get on her show!! :D oooh gawd I would love to tear it loose with Opry!! :D :D poor sheila thought young Steve was a bit hard to handle she aint met the Dingo in full flight yet ;)
[/quote

Hmmmmm ,didn't Dr Phil get his start on Oprah?
Is the world ready for Dr Dingo?:D
What would be your catch phrase?(ala Dr Phil's "and hows that working out for ya")
Aahhh the possibilities.:)
"Well ya rooted that up ya flamin drongo"
:D :D