PDA

View Full Version : how do photovoltaic cells wear out?

seafox
02-03-2007, 05:51 PM
what is the life of PV cells? who/how do they go bad? in doing a thought exparament I came to the conclusion that it would take 47.5 years at current cost for PV to break even and then would return 5% on investment in the next 2 and a half years

on the other hand if they stayed good indefinitely maybe it would be good if the goverment say covered nevada and arizona with solar cell and then they could provide all the power america needs and we would no longer need taxes because people would volenteraly buy what goverment produced

imagion april 15 being just another lovely spring day

TimH
02-03-2007, 07:03 PM
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/12-14/wind-farm.jpg

We could buy enough wind mills to power 1/2 of America with all the money we are spending in W's wars.

Phillip Allen
02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
with constant use the photons get out of round and then begin to move at unpredictable angles causing widely scattered light which is generally followed by increasing darkness

PeterSibley
02-03-2007, 07:18 PM
http://www.grinningplanet.com/2004/12-14/wind-farm.jpg

We could buy enough wind mills to power 1/2 of America with all the money we are spending in W's wars.

Now that would be a reasonable reduction in greenhouse emmissions wouldn't it ? Just a new lot of businesses making money and probably a lot more well paying jobs .

Dan McCosh
02-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I think photovoltiac cells wear out due to certain kinds of radiation that degrade the semiconductor material. The live span seems to range from 10-50 years or so.

paladin
02-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I have a battery that I made for the 1958 science fair.....it's still running the radio that I built, and the transmitter that I demonstrated with it....40,000 miles per watt coverage with the transmitter, the guy on the other end transmitted with a conventional 20 meter amateur radio transmitter...live demonstration...won the national science fair award with it...

TimH
02-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Now that would be a reasonable reduction in greenhouse emmissions wouldn't it ? Just a new lot of businesses making money and probably a lot more well paying jobs .

could become a booming industry...