PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful What You Volunteer For...

Concordia...41
02-03-2007, 07:06 AM
SailorDave sanding a water tank

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pa40bc54d6c00218f5356831e55162870/ead26d9b.jpg

Which turned out to have lead sodder :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/p4d3e965d7019a5059a24df0f8b47aa74/ead26d81.jpg

Mrleft8 applying his cabinetry skills to the remnants of a cabinet

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pb008e4e9d73e2831c5f101b811337f27/ead26d70.jpg

Both gentlemen hard at work (I'm the one with the camera :p )

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pb0c4dabf8cc2c3bffb729b8fa65ba3be/ead26fc6.jpg

Beowolf
02-03-2007, 07:28 AM
The Bilge is in desperate need of more threads like this. I can't thank you enough for posting it.

Hearty pats on the back to both Dave and Lefty for their work.

And thank you for always being the type of person that people want to volunteer for.

I could bump this thread all day, just to keep it above the trash.

Jeff

adampet
02-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks Margo,
and Dave and Lefty.
Ya know I've never had a strong desire to travel to Florida, but I'm starting to get an itch.....
Adam

Bruce Taylor
02-03-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pb008e4e9d73e2831c5f101b811337f27/ead26d70.jpg

Looks like Lefty's trying to put his head in the drill press.

Phillip Allen
02-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Gawd I'd love to help...too far...too broke... :(

StevenBauer
02-03-2007, 09:46 AM
So the water tank needs to be replaced, yes? Or is there some way to line it or insert a bladder or something?

Steven

Memphis Mike
02-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Gawd I'd love to help...too far...too broke... :(

Well, I think Margo pays pretty good. Better than minimum wage I suspect.:D

Phillip Allen
02-03-2007, 10:27 AM
Don't think I'd take a chance with the old truck again...blowin oil outa the air breather

Memphis Mike
02-03-2007, 10:37 AM
Don't think I'd take a chance with the old truck again...blowin oil outa the air breather

Greyhound busses were still running last time I checked.:)

Phillip Allen
02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I may yet get down there...depends on how long she keeps working on it

Tar Devil
02-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks, Margo. Nice lift after a decidedly depressing Friday!

MattL
02-03-2007, 11:40 AM

I did that once with a microscope and a bunsen burner in an anerobic microbiology class. Don't see out of the left eye and didn't notice the flame on that side as I bent over to check the setting of the condener. The girl next to me started hitting me on the head as the flames grew higher.

Phillip Allen
02-03-2007, 12:43 PM

I did that once with a microscope and a bunsen burner in an anerobic microbiology class. Don't see out of the left eye and didn't notice the flame on that side as I bent over to check the setting of the condener. The girl next to me started hitting me on the head as the flames grew higher.

sounds like geek abuse to me :)

boylesboats
02-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Would it be much nicer to replace the leaded water tank with plastic tank?...

TimH
02-03-2007, 01:32 PM
Those Concordias sure are beautiful boats. Does anyone have any good pictures of them under sail?

Claudia
02-03-2007, 01:43 PM
Tim, there are a few photos here. If you happened to see the movie Message In A Bottle..it was a Concordia (the ARAPAHO) that Kevin Costner sailed out to sea in at the end of the movie.
http://www.concordiayawl.com/owners.html

StevenBauer
02-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I wonder how many of the other 102 Concordias still have lead solder in their water tanks. Since Margo is involved in their newsletter I'm sure there will be some sort of notice.
Keep up the good work folks. :)

Steven

shamus
02-03-2007, 07:21 PM
What's wrong with lead solder in a water tank? The amount of time you spend drinking from your boat tank ain't gonna raise your blood levels I don't think. Fumes and fine dust seem to be the lead problem.

BrianW
02-03-2007, 07:29 PM
SailorDave sanding a water tank

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid223/pa40bc54d6c00218f5356831e55162870/ead26d9b.jpg

I'd guessed he was drilling the tank, not sanding. :)

Thanks for sharing.

Concordia...41
02-03-2007, 07:58 PM
What's wrong with lead solder in a water tank? The amount of time you spend drinking from your boat tank ain't gonna raise your blood levels I don't think. Fumes and fine dust seem to be the lead problem.

Well, I wasn't too worried about it personally, but small factors that they are: a) I'd need to disclose it to a potential purchaser; b) maybe 20 years from now they'll decide that lead is a problem - even when inert; and c) the fact that they are out of the boat and one has definitely seen better days, all led to the decision to replace.

I may be able to find some plastic ones in close enough dimensions, or I will have aluminum ones made.

Problem solved.

(Hey - anyone want three water tanks with lead sodder...??? ;) )

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I'd guessed he was drilling the tank, not sanding. :)

Nope, not drilling... Had a disk sanding pad on the drill just trying to knock off the loose stuff.

shamus
02-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Sounds reasonable Margo. For preference if replacing I would get some nice copper ones made just the same as the originals, but soldered with the leadless solder they use these days.

Wild Dingo
02-03-2007, 10:40 PM
MAN!! yhsnkd for this Margo... I gots finga an eye issued thosday :(

but that sailoedaved he shute looks like hes on da ball :cool: oputside with mask onlyy prob is an esxape route idf it sall goes lefgup!... too xlose to sa fenxe

An dougy?... wht can we say eh? hes DOUGY!! :D I mean who else wouls while fixin a xabinet stixk his noggin in a drill press? none other than Dougy!! :D :D an me prolly :( :rolleyes:

So you plannnin on serllin Sareah Margo? :eek: be a shame I rexkon :(

Hughman
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Shane is channelling Aztec today

S/V Laura Ellen
02-03-2007, 10:59 PM
:D I guess it it hard to type on one of those Aussie keyboards with bloody, broken fingers!:D

The Bigfella
02-03-2007, 11:05 PM
:D I guess it it hard to type on one of those Aussie keyboards with bloody, broken fingers!:D

He don't type - he's got voice recognition software and he's been on the plonk again

huisjen
02-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Lead? Well we all know that's bad.
Plastic? Phthalates... Estrogen mimics.
Copper? If your water pH goes low, it disolves, and although its a nutrient at low levels, higher levels can cause problems.
Aluminum? Implicated in Alzheimers.

I'd go with nice welded stainless steel if I could.

Dan

Mrleft8
02-04-2007, 06:27 PM
I WAS wearing that drillpress as a hat! It was the only thing that could keep my ears warm!
Due to a house burned to the ground in the family.... I am now back in the somewhat more (but not THAT MUCH MORE) frozen north.
There are serious concerns however about getting Sarah in the water for the Concordia get together.... Anyone who can spare a day or 3 could really help out.... Margo is a great hostess (If a somewhat....er....limited epicurian.... ;) ). and the project is more than worthy!

Paul Girouard
02-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Margo is a great hostess (If a somewhat....er....limited epicurian.... ;)

Humm one would think a swamp yankee's wouldn't even know what a epicurian was:confused: No wonder yer bloods so thick , you got Gout as well??

Nice hat BTW:D You must have a strong neck:eek: :D

Mrleft8
02-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Humm one would think a swamp yankee's wouldn't even know what a epicurian was:confused: No wonder yer bloods so thick , you got Gout as well??

Nice hat BTW:D You must have a strong neck:eek: :D

Strong yes.... But not red enough I guess.... ;)

paladin
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
You could keep the existing tanks and seal them internally with coal tar epoxy for both fuel and water, and solve your problems....isolates the lead....and you could coat the tanks inside and out....I have sealed a LOT of tanks that way....worked fine.....

David Tabor (sailordave)
02-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Hey Chuck! Nah, the tanks are pretty much shot. Interesting thing is two of the three tanks are COPPER! Lots of pitting on them though. Ms. M wasn't planning on actually using the water in them for cooking/drinking, just washing up and stuff. But it seems as though she may have a "source" of some slightly smaller brand new SS tanks...
LOTS to do on SARAH as Doug pointed out, but progress is being made.
I was definitely in need of a break/getaway; I should probably have PAID Margo to let me come down! :D
Amazing what a complete break from life can do for ya!

paladin
02-05-2007, 09:48 AM
How far away are ya from the electrical stuff.....and what condition is the old electrical panel and breakers......

Concordia...41
02-05-2007, 04:02 PM
How far away are ya from the electrical stuff.....and what condition is the old electrical panel and breakers......

At this rate - 3 to 5 months. I'll post an update on the last couple of weeks' progress , but there's still lots and lots to do.

As to the old electrical panel and breakers, I'd like to reuse the panel. It's a nice piece of cabinetry - even has a blank labeled "Warp Drive" :D , but all the breakers and wiring will have to be replaced.

BTW - Box 1 is here - do I really have to wait on Box 2, or just keep the Marley dog away from it????

Oops - both boxes were here - and I'm crying over the contents of the first one. Sarah & I THANK YOU!

Figment
02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Of course, the current salvage price for that copper would go a long way toward new tanks.

Thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to rewire my warp drive!

Concordia...41
02-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Back when I was in the pump industry, we used coal tar epoxy for sewage pumps, but we used 454 epoxy for potable water pumps. I don't think I'd use coal tar epoxy for drinking water, but epoxy coating isn't a bad idea.

Regarding coating or inserting a bladder (Steven's idea in one of the first threads), the tanks have a series of baffels, which would prevent using a liner and/or complicate coating. Also, as David stated there's a fair bit of damage to one of the tanks.

Mrleft8
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I talked to my friend who is in the SS biz. He said he'd quote you a price if you send the specs. (He'll give you a good price.....He owes me! ;) )

davidagage
02-05-2007, 06:59 PM
Me and Mr. Mig (miller 200) could prolly weld up a couple too (316,304, or I could get some C276 Hastalloy if you are really worried about corrosion) Keep the old ones for patterns....

DG

Concordia...41
02-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Thanks all. I think I'm OK. When I get the settees in and can check the fit of the ones we took out (like 6 years ago...), I'll make a decision. If I have some made, I may want to adjust the dimensions some - or I may be able to find some plastic ones close enough in size to do the trick without any additional complications.

Cheers!

- M

paladin
02-05-2007, 08:01 PM
Margo....if you give me the external dimensions and tell me where the filler and output holes need to be, I can draw the basic patterns for David with the appropriate baffles etc to conform to AYBC rules and scantlings......and if you have room to enlarge the tank a bit...tell me where and which direction and I'll recalculate the weight and capacity.....

rbgarr
02-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Thanks all. I think I'm OK. When I get the settees in and can check the fit of the ones we took out (like 6 years ago...), I'll make a decision. If I have some made, I may want to adjust the dimensions some - or I may be able to find some plastic ones close enough in size to do the trick without any additional complications.

Cheers!

- M

IIRC (and FWIW) the original water tanks on Concordias are tinned copper to facilitate soldering.