PDA

View Full Version : Brit (mostly) Speed cameras

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Don't tell me our police are wonderfullllllll

Hiden Cameras (http://www.speedcam.co.uk/game.htm) not popular.

Hwyl
02-01-2007, 05:13 PM
15 out of 19. I ride behind bumpers of cars that have GPS's and seem to know where the cameras are (I assume they have it on CD)

Sea Frog
02-01-2007, 05:42 PM
"Home secretaries and Interior ministers are ambitious."
->CORRECT!

Tylerdurden
02-01-2007, 05:47 PM
There is a website I saw a while ago that was filled with speed cameras that had been torched. They chuck a tire around it with some fuel inside. light it and go. Literally hundreds of them.
Not the huge success the officials will portray to the public.

Joe (SoCal)
02-01-2007, 06:03 PM
I have a friend who runs a company which sells stoplight cameras, plus full service, to cities. They do everything, including mailing the tickets and collecting the fines.

He's doing a booming business.

Well now we know Donn has a friend :p

Tylerdurden
02-01-2007, 06:30 PM
I have a friend who runs a company which sells stoplight cameras, plus full service, to cities. They do everything, including mailing the tickets and collecting the fines.

Let your one friend know I think he is a Parasite, along with Bail Bondsman, Aturnonmes, Repo Men and Tow operators.........

The quality of a man, is the company he keeps.

ishmael
02-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Be afraid, be very afraid. Good reason.

This constant watching is anathema to real liberalism, and is copacetic as hell with facism.

John Bell
02-01-2007, 06:59 PM

There's a bill before the Georgia Legislature to ban the things. Even the existing ones would have to be removed. The sponsor cites statistics that they don't prevent the accidents they were touted to provide, namely fewer accidents. Let's see how he fares with the bill.

ishmael
02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
A sidebar. Maine's legislature, Democrat majority, just roundly defeated "smart" driver's licenses, which are federally mandated for 2008. We aren't going there, said the Maine legislature. Under the federal legislation the DL was to become a defacto national ID card. All your pertinent information in one place.

Under the federal law you won't be able to cross a border, enter a federal building, or board a domestic flight without this ID. Maine is, I think, the first state to repudiate it. A part of it is cost. The feds mandated this but didn't fund it, but I like to think a bigger part is native libertarian savvy. We don't want to be watched so closely, thank you very much.

George Jung
02-01-2007, 07:26 PM
One of the big criticisms of these cameras is that they're promoted as a safety measure, but are programmed as a source of revenue. Complaints center around traffic lights where the duration of the 'yellow' suddenly drops dramatically, making it very difficult to stop in time, or make it through the yellow warning light without incurring an infraction and fine. An obvious conflict of interest when the company installing the lights and collecting fines also is paid a percentage of the take. Car and Driver had quite the expose' on this scam a few years ago. In my opinion, any city promoting their use ought to have the guilty parties held accountable (I wanted to say drawn and quartered, but that's not acceptable... is it?).

George Jung
02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
That's really troublesome, Ish. I haven't heard about this; any info on the '08 deadline?

ishmael
02-01-2007, 08:03 PM
I could Google it, George. There's probably an article in the Bangor Daily News, our local paper. I've heard it on various outlets, though rather brief mention considering the weight of it. The federal law is as I've stated, near as I can figure.

I smell lawsuits.

The club the feds wield is highway dollars. Make this law or you're cut off. Maine, I'm proud to say, said go screw yourself.

Let's face it, in this modern age all your information is available to someone who want's to look. I once had a PI brag that give him a phone number and he'd have everyting about a person in less than a day. That was fifteen years ago! But a national ID card is still worth a fight.

Todd Bradshaw
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
A more enlightened approach to the problem of speeders....
http://5x5m.com:80/files/speedbandits/

Larry P.
02-01-2007, 09:22 PM
From the Boston Globe

Maine rejects compliance with national ID card law
By Stacy A. Anderson, Los Angeles Times | January 26, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Maine became the first state in the nation yesterday to officially decline to comply with the Real ID Act of 2005, the federal law that critics say lays the foundation for the creation of a national identity card.

Both houses of the state Legislature -- unanimously in the Senate, 137 to 4 in the House -- approved a resolution rejecting compliance with the act, which requires states to replace their current drivers' licenses by May 2008 with forgery-proof cards embedded with private information. The legislatures urged its repeal .

To obtain the card, which is meant to ensure that the holder is in the country legally, an individual would be required to present a Social Security card, birth certificate, proof of residency, and a biometric identifier, such as a fingerprint. The card would employ "common machine-readable technology" that could be scanned to verify a person's identity.

All this information, digitally stored, would become part of a nationwide database, accessible by federal, state, and local government employees.

Privacy advocates argue that putting every driver's personal information in that database would facilitate identity theft. Shenna L. Bellows, executive director of the Maine Civil Liberties Union, called it "a real ID nightmare."

A Department of Homeland Security spokesman, Jarrod Agen, did not comment directly on the Maine Legislature's action, saying only that the purpose of the act is to protect citizens, not make them more vulnerable.

Tylerdurden
02-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Maine with all its problems is one of the most live free states.
I came here by choice because of it.

Phillip Allen
02-02-2007, 07:08 AM
It's all about extracting revenue...everything else is post decision excuse making and marketing

Oyvind Snibsoer
02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
FWIW, traffic light cameras were abolished here in Norway after studies showed that they actually caused more accidents than they prevented. This was due to drivers stepping on their brakes when they suddenly became aware of the camera, causing quite a few rear-enders.

Phillip Allen
02-02-2007, 09:00 AM
FWIW, traffic light cameras were abolished here in Norway after studies showed that they actually caused more accidents than they prevented. This was due to drivers stepping on their brakes when they suddenly became aware of the camera, causing quite a few rear-enders.

They won't give them up here...everything is justified by the revenue...even death

ccmanuals
02-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Running red lights in Wash DC is pretty much the norm EXCEPT at those intersections that have the cameras. I don't know. I gotta think they are doing some good.

Phillip Allen
02-02-2007, 09:16 AM
running lights is common in third world cultures...makes sense

ccmanuals
02-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Man, you got that one right. :D

John of Phoenix
02-02-2007, 02:55 PM
We have a stretch of highway that circles the metro area that has an incredible record of fatalities. They've tracked some fools at 110 mph. That's not a ticket, thatís jail time around here. So Scottsdale installed speed cameras on one particularly bad stretch and fatalities dropped to zero. At the same however, rear end collisions increased pretty dramatically. It seems people would speed like maniacs between the cameras then slam on the brakes as they approached a camera and *bam* the guy behind would slam into them.

Itís just scary stupid out there sometimes.

Vince Brennan
02-03-2007, 07:27 AM
They've started using a variation on the speed camera, which is the "Red Lite" camera to catch people zipping thru on the red.... Here in Philly there are about seven of 'em with exactly the results that John posted (edited)
people ... speed like maniacs ... then slam on the brakes as they approach a camera and *bam* the guy behind (will) slam into them.
The number of "T-bone" and pedestrian accidents at two of the most notorious intersections has dropped remarkably, but the number of "rear-enders" and "fender-benders" has soared.

Of course, Our City Fathers have now decided that this is a "Good Thing" and will be installing camras all over the place, just as soon as they can figure out how to best break into our piggy-banks to finance same.

I can only imagine what this would produce in the Tampa-St. Pete vicinity, one of the more innovative driving experiences in the US. Or, (Gruss Gott!) Boston... the mind quails.

Vince Brennan
02-03-2007, 07:28 AM
Todd, I gotta say that that Danish method definitely has it's points!

Don Olney
02-03-2007, 08:42 AM
Fox News says this stuff works...

Photoblocker (http://www.backstreetinline.com/photoblocker/)