PDA

View Full Version : Al Gore nominated for Noble Prize

BrianY
02-01-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/01/politics/main2422193.shtml

Excerpt:

AP) Former Vice President Al Gore was nominated for the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for his campaign against global warming.

Norwegian lawmaker Boerge Brende, a former minister of environment, told The Associated Press that Gore has put climate change on the agenda and uses his position to get politicians to understand.

Brende along with other lawmakers nominated him before the deadline expired today.

TimH
02-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Thats a good thing :)
maybe then he will run for president...

jack grebe
02-01-2007, 03:16 PM
If he wins, He can hang it on the wall right next to "I invented the Internet"

TimH
02-01-2007, 03:17 PM
ROFL :)

I think he would be better that Hillary or Bambam

Cant blame him for not running though...who would want to try to clean up W's mess.
I wouldnt be suprised if W threw us into a war with Iran too...it could get much worse...Iran wasnt under seige for 10 years...they can actually fight back.

But anyway, at least Gore has a brain...probably even knows how to say and spell the word Nuclear.

BrianY
02-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Think Gore would be a fool to run. As a private citizen he's actually doing something to improve the world without having to deal with all of the bull**** of Washington politics and the burdens of the Presidency. The only contituent he has to please is himself and he has no reason or need to compromise his views or positions.

He's got the benefit of being well known around the globe and more and more people are listening to him. Why would he want a crap job like the Presidency - especially when he'd have to clean up the mess that Bush Jr. is leaving us with?

JimD
02-01-2007, 03:31 PM
Gore has shown dogged determination and he has made a positive impact on many of us. I hope he realizes his efforts are not wasted.

Joe (SoCal)
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
Rush Limbaugh was nominated today as well. (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-01-2007/0004518421&EDATE=)

Maybe he'll run for President!

As usual Don[n] knows nothing, except how to correct contractions :rolleyes: The Landmark Legal Foundation has about as much bearing on the Noble Prize nomination process as I do nominating Meerkat ( which I would, for grace under pressure )

Fighting for America's Founding Values

Founded in 1976, Landmark Legal Foundation is the premiere public interest law firm fighting for conservative principles in America. No legal group has been as successful as Landmark at protecting individual rights, challenging the scope and authority of government, defending free enterprise and exposing teachers' union fraud.

Meanwhile the people who nominated Gore, Norwegian lawmakers are among the groups with rights to nominate Nobel candidates. Others include members of national governments, past laureates, members of the awards committee and its staff, and many university professors.

brad9798
02-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Gore has actually earned my respect for his determination over the past years.

Thank goodness he's moved on from the BS censorship of music ...

Joe (SoCal)
02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Founded in 1976, Landmark Legal Foundation is the leading conservative public interest law firm in the United States. Rush Limbaugh serves as an unpaid member of Landmark’s Board of Advisors

Bwaaaaaa ha ha ™ :D :D :D

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Donn. Do you feel Like a tube of Crest toothpaste?
A bit squeezed in the middle and out of shape!.

John of Phoenix
02-01-2007, 04:17 PM
Nobel for Peace to limbaw. To spend $1.6 million on dope.

:D LMAO :D

Joe (SoCal)
02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
No. Why would I?

It states, in the link I posted, that it's an "unsolicited nomination."

22,137 post and not a sigle admision of error. Why it must be the Donnbott

Hwyl
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Someone has to say it's spelled "Nobel" after the dynamite guy.

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2007, 04:33 PM
I noted it but did not write anything. I knew which prize was being discussed and saw no need to make a correction. So be it.
I am surprised Donn did not catch it but perhaps he is more selective in determining who he feels needs to be to criticized.

BrianW
02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
But why the Peace prize? Isn't the an Ecology Prize, or something like that?

BrianW
02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Found my answer with Google...

Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace.

Of the choices, none of them really fit (maybe literature), so I suspect this move is more political than anything.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
But why the Peace prize? Isn't the an Ecology Prize, or something like that?

Nope.

Nobel Prizes in physics, chemistry, peace, medicine, economics, and literature.
The Nobel Foundation (http://nobelprize.org)

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
I can only assume, the field of Ecology did not exist when Nobel was alive.In fact, it is a relatively new field but is a combination of many older ones. Hence, he did not set up the required funding for such an award.
You have to remember, Nobel was living in the mid to late 19th century.

BrianW
02-01-2007, 04:56 PM
You have to remember, Nobel was living in the mid to late 19th century.

And... he like blowing stuff up! ;)

Still not getting the Peace part of this equation, gotta be money behind it somewhere.

Bruce Hooke
02-01-2007, 05:07 PM
With the selection of Wangari Muta Maathai for the Peace Prize in 2004 for her environmental work in Africa, the Nobel committee effectively made the statement that in the world as it is today, the condition of the environment often plays a large role in how peaceful a country is. A severely damaged environment often makes it hard to do things like grow enough food to feed everyone, which often leads to strife and sometimes outright war.

That's why environmental work may now qualify for the Peace Prize.

For the record, it does annoy me a little is that there is no prize for geology (my father is a geologist). I suppose this would have been the precursor to an ecology award or something similar. In Alfred Nobel's day geology at least existed as a science, but it was definitely much lower down in the rankings than things like Physics and Chemistry.

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Bruce..
Obviously Ecology is the melding of many sciences and principles.
However, the origin of Ecology seems to be plant geography ( Humbolt ). Out of this grew synecology: the study of plant communities ( Cowles ). This was broadened to include structural elements of the community; both plants and animals by Shelford and Elton.
Melding with the above; natural history which has ancient origins including Audubon, Wilson, and Brewster

Nanoose
02-01-2007, 05:17 PM
the noble prize?, or the Nobel prize?

S.V. Airlie
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
It is Nobel but it they are noble prizes.

TimH
02-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Too bad there isnt an award for f****** things up on a global scale...

Bruce Hooke
02-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Good point on ecology -- while geology plays a role the biology side is really much bigger, which does raise the question of why there is no prize for biology.

I guess in the end it probably comes down to what fields of endeavor seemed to have the biggest impact on humanity at the time the whole Nobel prize was set up.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Found my answer with Google...

Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace.

Of the choices, none of them really fit (maybe literature), so I suspect this move is more political than anything.

Yes, of course, because the world revolves around your world doesn't it.:rolleyes: in your by line, you spelled psycho wrong... it came out pseudo.:rolleyes:

Tylerdurden
02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
That's me, "selective."

Why do you hate America Donn?
Is it because of what they did to you in the war?

BrianW
02-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Yes, of course, because the world revolves around your world doesn't it.:rolleyes:

Doesn't yours? :)

Milo Christensen
02-01-2007, 07:11 PM
One wonders if more or less than 13% of Americans have never heard of Al Gore.

ishmael
02-01-2007, 07:21 PM
I haven't seen his film, but I heard Al interviewed the other day. He remains a boring pedant. Gawd, listening to that man is a combination of the worst third grade teacher and melatonin. Nobel Peace prize? Okay, they gave it to that horror Arafat, so why not Al?

Politics, which is not what the genius Nobel intended.

George Jung
02-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Too bad there isnt an award for f****** things up on a global scale...

They could, but that wouldn't be a noble prize....

LeeG
02-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I haven't seen his film, but I heard Al interviewed the other day. He remains a boring pedant. Gawd, listening to that man is a combination of the worst third grade teacher and melatonin. Nobel Peace prize? Okay, they gave it to that horror Arafat, so why not Al?

Politics, which is not what the genius Nobel intended.

Go see the film Jack.
You're not too old to learn something new.

Paul Pless
02-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Wow! that's huge, it places right him up there with such notable peace bringers as Yasser Arafat and Shimon Peres, definately good company.