PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to boogie?

ishmael
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Reading through all the arguments about this and that I was reminded of dancing. I miss it, haven't been for a decade.

Just let it loose! Shake it! That's very necessary if we aren't to become stilted and dry.

I'm a good dancer. It's not all about athleticism, it's moving, man. LOL.

Claudia
01-31-2007, 07:19 PM
I'd love to talk David into taking Swing dance lessons. That would be a blast. As it is, if we slow dance here in the house I have to tell him to let me lead or we never move.:D

Bruce Hooke
01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
Ah yes, dancing! I love it (and do it regularly). Contra, CI, and just plain boogieing...

You're darn right that athleticism is not the focus, its about moving, and at a deeper level about understanding your body and how to control it; how to place and use, give, and receive weight.

Chris Coose
01-31-2007, 07:41 PM
I thought to make the invitation (as I did last year) to the bride's annual birthday dance party last weekend but I passed.

Would you have come down for it Jack?
I'll give fair notice next year if there is interest.

I think I wrote here someplace that the dance floor was crowded with stunning middle aged single and otherwise women and at one point, about 3/4 of the way through, the dancing had raised to a frenzied level and went absolutely possessed when the extended version of James Brown's "Papa's got a brand new bag" hit the speakers.

Hwyl
01-31-2007, 08:07 PM
I thought to make the invitation (as I did last year) to the bride's annual birthday dance party last weekend but I passed.

I think I wrote here someplace that the dance floor was crowded with stunning middle aged single and otherwise women and at one point, about 3/4 of the way through, the dancing had raised to a frenzied level and went absolutely possessed when the extended version of James Brown's "Papa's got a brand new bag" hit the speakers.

I take my non invitation as a personal affront hmphhh.

Actually I was out in the Old Port on Friday night, cold as hell and I spent too much, wondering why i did it, an EBS with the S.A. crowd.

Phillip Allen
01-31-2007, 08:15 PM
I never learned to like dancing. I've tried it several times and even had to waltz once in a college play (I wrote it) but never think of it as entertainment for myself.

Chris Coose
01-31-2007, 08:16 PM
My bad Gareth.
I'll give you a tip on the next known event.
Me and the bride will be producing a "Kirtan" in Portland at one of the big Portland churches with Krishna Das as the main event on 9/11.
http://www.krishnadas.com/

This is a chick magnet of the ultimate order.

Again, sorry I didn't get to you it was a tragic oversight on my part.

Bruce Hooke
01-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Oh my! Chris, it sounds like you are a Kirtan person. Did you know about the big Kirtan gathering that happened out in Western Massachusetts, last Fall? I did not know about Kirtan but I was at the place where it was taking place for the weekend and so I was eating with all the Kirtan folks and took part in the final big ceremony...I don't remember what it was called.

Hwyl
01-31-2007, 09:25 PM
My bad Gareth.
I'll give you a tip on the next known event.
Me and the bride will be producing a "Kirtan" in Portland at one of the big Portland churches with Krishna Das as the main event on 9/11.
http://www.krishnadas.com/

This is a chick magnet of the ultimate order.

Again, sorry I didn't get to you it was a tragic oversight on my part.

No worries at all Chris, we've still got to sit down over coffeee and discuss Victoia and the state of the world.

ishmael
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I've done organized. I went to dance school to learn the foxtrot at twelve. I can take a woman's hand and make it right. Been through the contra-dance here in New England without ever groking it. But set me loose on a dance floor with some Elvis, or some other rockabilly, and watch out! LOL.

I'm flabby, out of shape but not fat, and such a floor might just cancel my check these days.

I once had a woman, a sharp woman, say to me, man, you are the best rock dancer I've ever seen. There must have been a n**&&## in the wood pile. LOL.

But back to the intent. Shaking loose now and then is so important. We sit around and think so many hours a day.

John Most
01-31-2007, 10:54 PM

Qualudes come to mind.

garland reese
01-31-2007, 11:05 PM
Claudia! I never danced until just a bit over a year ago. My new girl has been in ballroom for a few years. She got me to take a few lessons, both private and group types. We are right now going to a small group class in West Coast Swing.......... that is a very fun dance and it is adaptable to a good bit of music (but best with a nice bluesy rhythm). Tell Dave to give it a try. I'm not at all a natural. Very uncomfortable in social scenes. But I'm really enjoying the challenge of learning to dance.
I do like to rhumba. And Cha Cha. And foxtrot. And swing dance. But that Tango thing........ scary! And waltz is magnificent, when you're free to move on a big floor.
I want to learn Salsa too!
Anyway......find some lessons and give it a shot. Expecially swing. I've been trying to get Kat to take some country dance..... but she don't do much country. I'm just a big ole hick.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
01-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Think about it, wheels on your feet.
The possibilities are endless.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.transbuddha.com/images/uploads/Boogie_Nights_Rollergirl.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.transbuddha.com/index.php/buddha/mailer/clear-the-rink-for-couples-skate/&h=340&w=210&sz=16&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=CKrs-_5Yvo2nhM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=74&prev=/images%3Fq%3Droller%2Bskate%2Bboogie%26svnum%3D10% 26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4SUNA_en___US205%26sa%3DN

Bruce Hooke
01-31-2007, 11:37 PM
That is a pretty cool video...

In some ways putting ice skates on your feet can have a similar "effect."

ishmael
02-01-2007, 07:03 AM
A beautiful little film with the dance as leitmotiv, I can't recommend it highly enough, is "Wrestling Ernest Hemingway." It's not a film about dance, but dance plays through it.

The contra-dance phenomenon here in New England is a fine thing. Our Joe Dupere is pretty heavily involved, last I heard. I'll see his name on fliers announcing a dance. I never went enough to learn the moves, and it does take some learning, it's very choreographed. Goin' to the Grange Hall on a Saturday night, listening to some good music, swinging the sweating gal from down the road. Great stuff.

Why is it Baptists are against sex standing up? For fear it will lead to dancing.

Bruce Hooke
02-01-2007, 10:16 AM
Yup, Joe Dupere is a caller. I can't remember if I've ever danced to his calling. I've been doing Contra off and on (there has not always been a dance near where I lived) for something like 30 years. It does take a little while to get the basic moves down, but not nearly as long as with something like swing or ballroom. Once you've got the basics down then the real fun begins...refining and tweaking and playing with the moves! Contra dances (and for that matter other types of dance) often seem to be great communities as well.