PDA

View Full Version : antifouling confusion

jrfaherty
08-07-2001, 02:25 PM
I have been researching the different types of anti fouling paints to use on a wood boat. Now I am confused. I assumed that I would prime the hull before applying the antifouling paint, but the instructions I read said nothing about priming.
I have sanded the hull down and want to seal it with an primer.
Is that right.
What kind of antifouling should I use for a 16' wooden boat on Cape Cod that will be trailered and not moored?

Keith Wilson
08-07-2001, 03:04 PM
Trailered boats don't need any antifouling. They're not in the water long enough for the critters to take hold, and any that do will die when you put her back on the trailer. Also, antifouling paint is expensive and generally pretty soft, so it'll scuff and rub off on the trailer bunks. I'd paint the bottom with whatever you used on the topsides, a different color if you like.

RGM
08-07-2001, 03:53 PM
As Keith says. Additionally, as an example, see Paul Frederiksen's post showing pictures of ADAGIO dated 8/5/01 in this same topic. The third picture (I believe) shows his beautiful boat sitting on a trailer. Good luck.

Noah
08-07-2001, 06:15 PM
I know that people will scoff here, but I have had very good luck with oil based porch paint on trailered boats. Both my Lyman and 12ft Whitehall use standard porch enamel, and it works great. Plus itís cheap. The Lyman gets weekly use and the paint lasts for 3-4 seasons. This is mostly freshwater use, but for about one week it is moored in salt water. Still no problems. The one time that we tried "true" boat paint the finish came out poor, and it wasn't worth the money.

On the other hand a boat that will stay moored needs some good bottom paint.

Noah

brad9798
08-08-2001, 08:45 AM
Noah brings up a good point- Don't laugh at him. Porch paint is some of the toughest, more durable paint available. Think about it- Rain, weather, people walking on it, etc.

I use the best exterior gloss house paint I can find (for all of $30/gallon) for all topside paint. It works/lasts better than any "marine" paint I've found ... and it's not $60-100 per gallon.

No anti-fouling on trailer boats!

Brad

HP3
08-14-2001, 03:21 PM
An interesting point was made to me recently concerning bottom paint on a trailer boat.

It will REDUCE the resale value. The assumption is the boat must have been left in the water or there would not be antifouling paint on it. Hank

Nicholas Carey
08-15-2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by jrfaherty:
What kind of antifouling should I use for a 16' wooden boat on Cape Cod that will be trailered and not moored?

Petit makes two kinds of hard bronze bottom paint that are specifically designed for dry ailed/trailered boats. You can't use normal bottom paints because they are designed to stay wet -- when they dry out, they lose their effectiveness. I'm sure Interlux does as well.

The best thing to do is to check with tech support and get their recommendations as to the best product for your intended use and its application:

* Interlux
http://www.interlux.com
800/468.7589

* Petit
http://www.petitprod.com
800/221.4466

Remember...the paint company has it in their own best interest to ensure your paint job is a success. Unhappy customers are not repeat customers. If you're having problems, they may even send the local tech rep out to make sure that you're doing everything right.