Was she trained by Paladin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6301575.stm

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
01-26-2007, 09:03 AM
How did you resist....

The Pen is mightier than.

Paul Pless
01-26-2007, 09:14 AM
...a different, horrible plea for help...

imagine that:eek:

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Now there is a woman who did not desert when it became tough going...more power to her (wish I'd had a partner like that)

Popeye
01-26-2007, 09:28 AM
push not pull

i tried this once , got my dog to (gently) take my arm in his jaws , pulling back causes his jaws lock , pushing in and he lets go

scary to try on a wild animal , but in an emergency , it could save your life

S.V. Airlie
01-26-2007, 09:28 AM
Obviously she was not pussy footing around.. She was out for bear.

John E Hardiman
01-26-2007, 09:48 AM
That was always one of the things that got me after 9/11. They took away things that didn't make sense, but you could carry a steel barreled, carbide tipped pen on board.....:rolleyes:

Keith Wilson
01-26-2007, 09:48 AM
Damn, I've been hiking there; lovely place. Never saw a mountain lion, though. Quite a woman!

geeman
01-26-2007, 10:58 AM
I firmly believe my wife would do the same.We tend to think in terms of "it doesnt happen to one of us, it happens to both".I can see her standing her ground and at least trying to give the lion a whoppin.Shes not much on runnin,she normally doesnt like to give and inch,she hates to lose.

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 11:15 AM
I firmly believe my wife would do the same.We tend to think in terms of "it doesnt happen to one of us, it happens to both".I can see her standing her ground and at least trying to give the lion a whoppin.Shes not much on runnin,she normally doesnt like to give and inch,she hates to lose.

refreshing to hear geeman...I always love to hear of such things

geeman
01-26-2007, 11:50 AM
IS why I learned a long time ago,, the easiest way for me to survive an argument here at home is the words "yes mam, your right, what was I thinking"?

paladin
01-26-2007, 12:19 PM
The situation is similar with attack trained guard dogs...and I have the scars to prove it....if you can..are able...and the animal has your arm...try to get your hand in it's throat...ball your fist and push...and believe it or not...if you push in hard enough and are able to grasp the animals neck with the other arm/hand..grab it by the scruff of the neck and pull it into you while forcing your hand in it's throat. This may not work with a grizzly bear...but for large cats and canines it works.....kat claws are bad enough....
and trying to jab anything into the muscle/sinew of a highly agitated critter like that will be nigh on impossible with nothing less than a sharp strong blade....for instance, grabbing an arrow and using it as a stabbing item requires a helluva lot of thrust...and a very heavy arrow, about three times as heavy as a .45 caliber bullet...from a 65 pound draw weight bow...moving a bit over half the speed of a bullet...buried deep in the chest of a charging doberman will NOT stop it in it's tracks contrary to popular belief....

Katherine
01-26-2007, 12:25 PM
(wish I'd had a partner like that)We're not all wusses ya know.

Tar Devil
01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
My son and I have both seen a mountain lion near our home in Shelby. Awesome looking critter.

Bob Cleek
01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
Another good lesson for the PETA no-hunting crowd. The mountain lion population is directly dependent on the deer population. More deer, more lions. Now, they don't allow deer hunting in areas near any population of people. The deer have figured this out and flocked to suburbia and lost much of their fear of man. Correspondingly, the mountain lions have flourished and expanded their territory. While hunted to extinction in many areas through the 1950's, lions are prolific breeders, ferral cats, really, and have rapidly replenished their numbers. Lions are increasingly seen in populated areas now. It's only a matter of time...

Katherine
01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Mtn Lions have been spotted not far from my parents.

paladin
01-26-2007, 03:11 PM
and for folks that haven't seen a claw from a large cat up very very close.....it's shaped like a scimitar, triangular like a thick bladed knife or file, with the inside of the curve sharp as a well honed knife...they gouge, then pull the claw towards themselves slicing things open like a G.I. can opener on hot butter.
Sasha never so much as scratched me, but she used a 10 X 10 teak support beam on our house to sharpen her nails....every few weeks I tacked new teak over it.

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 04:23 PM
We're not all wusses ya know.

only serious offers are accepted Katherine

ishmael
01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Chuck,

A cat is a cat is a cat. The scimitars aren't confined to big ones. Up until fairly recently this one I took in was wont to turn and scratch. Actually, it was a combiined movement of grab, and bite. Her claws are razor sharp. Magnified ten time, deadly in just a few swipes. She's come to let me look closely without losing her cool. Amazing engines of destruction, cats!

The folks in the story are lucky. I imagine the only reason this lion didn't polish both off was out of some inherent fear and shyness that comes out of cat society memory of being hunted. He(she) could have dispatched both of them. 140 pound puma, 160 pound humans, two of them, no contest.

Tar Devil
01-26-2007, 07:06 PM
The folks in the story are lucky. I imagine the only reason this lion didn't polish both off was out of some inherent fear and shyness that comes out of cat society memory of being hunted.

Not really, Jack. Outdoor folks advise to fight back hard and loud because preditory animals like that cat aren't used to their prey fighting back and it often confuses them and repels the attack.

Later,

Phil

shamus
01-26-2007, 07:11 PM
So they shot two. Kill them all and let God sort them out.

ishmael
01-26-2007, 07:33 PM
"cat aren't used to their prey fighting back."

HA! When was the last time you watched a cat with its prey? I watched a mouse a couple months ago that did everthing in its power, from play dead to charge full bore, to keep from getting et by miss kitty. Courageous little fellow.

From what I've read, and seen on film, this fellow is lucky the puma didn't do what cats in the wild often do, which is give a killing bite to the neck without so much as a howdy doo. Must have been a young'un.

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
yes Ish...but are you reccomending that he lay still and pretend not to notice?

ishmael
01-26-2007, 07:50 PM
"yes Ish...but are you reccomending that he lay still and pretend not to notice?"

How do you infer that!?

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 08:41 PM
It just struck me that you were not approving of fighting back

hnsbrc
01-26-2007, 08:42 PM
I notice mama duck isn't helping papa duck:
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2631/bobcat2iw.jpg

Wild Dingo
01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
"yes Ish...but are you reccomending that he lay still and pretend not to notice?"

How do you infer that!?

Oh come Jack surely you jest?? :rolleyes: I mean what a question!! Of course we can infer what we like from whatever we like however we like!! :cool: strewth mate!! geez someone can infer the most horrendous things from simple statements that actually have very little to do with whatever they ifer you have said... my gawd mate its even happened to me!! Pure an innocent as driven snow me!! Yes some have taken me to task for things theyve inferred Ive implied or said but unfortunately its pure and utter assumption... and mate you know what they say about when you assume dont you!;)

But mate how can you ask such a question!! :rolleyes: Good gracious as me ol nanna used to say! Some can infer whatever they like weather or not the inference they make is the same as you intended or even hinted at is totally and utterly irrelevent! Its their "infer" an so some shall continue to infer and assume to their hearts content... its not their place to prove but rather yours since you said it you must now negate the inferance some have taken!! :p :D

Make sence now mate? Cheers no need to thank me your welcome! ;) :cool:

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey Shane...I bet I get to talk to Nikki again...nyah, nyah... :)

Wild Dingo
01-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Yeah? :rolleyes: ... but I betcha she WANTS to actually TALK to me!! :p :D Its an accent thing mate... I gots one its called Aussie an yer sheilas just flamin go gagas an dropzedrawersies over it!! :D :D

strewth Im in fine form today!! :D Might have to get another caffine an charge the ol batteries with a yarn eh? :p

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 09:00 PM
I don't have the accent but I gots lots of colloquialisms to fight back with...just remember I'm a sniper and don't shotgun like you do...

BrianW
01-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Mtn Lions have been spotted not far from my parents.

Note to self: When desiring a successful Mt Lion hunt, invite Katherines parents along. If not, stay the heck away.

ishmael
01-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Not agin fighting back, at all. I was saying to Phil that anyone, mouse or man...or duck, is liable to try. But a cat that size, if intent and experienced with the bluffs of its prey...well, I would not want to be in its sights.

I think the wife did just right, but they're still lucky. Make yourself as big and noisy as possible. Find a sturdy club...or a pen LOL. Make 'em pay! think twice! and maybe they'll back off. A .357 magnum on the hip wouldn't be a bad idea in puma country.

Lucky. That's all.

Wild Dingo
01-26-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't have the accent but I gots lots of colloquialisms to fight back with...just remember I'm a sniper and don't shotgun like you do...

oooh ma ma mate!! :rolleyes: I dont need no shotgun with the wee sheilas ;) I just have to open me gob an let forth a wonderous verbal yarn in me own lingo and they turn over an go pppuuuuuurrrrrrrrr :D :D

Colloquialisms? colloshizzims who needs em! When we speak in colloquialisms that turn the heart to mush the mind to lust an the body to quiverin jelly eh! :cool: :D :D Hey what can I say!! Us Aussies is just toooooooo good an make the sheilas quiver at our stunnin good looks sunny dispositions an quick quips mighty wit an joyous sence of humor ol son you dont come close!!! :p

And Jack? mate I was pullin yer leg... takin the piss sorta thing... ease up turbo no ones havin a go its all good :cool:

Phillip Allen
01-26-2007, 09:22 PM
Heck...I might even shoot ya with your own gun:

“Clancy, of the Overflow”
I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better Knowledge/ sent to where I met him down the Lachlan, years ago/ He was shearing when I knew him, so I sent a letter to him,/Just on spec, addressed as follows, “Clancy, of the Overflow”/And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,/ (And I think the same was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar)/ Twas his shearing mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quite it:/ “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.”
In my wild erratic fancy visions come to me of Clancy/ Gone a-droving “down the Cooper” where the Western drovers go;/ As the stock are slowly stringing, Clancy rides behind them singing,/ For the drover’s life has pleasures that the townsfolk never know.
And the bush hath friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him/ In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,/ And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,/ And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars.
I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy/ Ray of sunlight struggles feebly down between the houses tall,/ And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty, dirty city/ Through the open window floating, spreads its foulness over all
And in place of lowing cattle,/ I can hear the fiendish rattle/ Of the tramways and the buses making hurry down the street,/ And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting, Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet.
And the hurrying people daunt me, and their pallid faces haunt me/ As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste,/ With their eager eyes and greedy, and their stunted forms and weedy,/ For townsfolk have no time to grow, they have no time to waste.
And I somehow rather fancy that I’d like to change with Clancy,/ Like to take a turn at droving where the seasons come and go./ While he faced the round eternal of the cash-book and the journal/ --But I doubt he’d suit the office, Clancy, of the Overflow.

ishmael
01-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Not a problem, Shane. I just didn't figure how what I'd said was to lay down and not fight. Playing dead didn't work for Mr. mouse.

But let's imagine the scenario that happened. Hiking along, a hearty seventy years of age, a big cat comes up behind and takes you down, has your upper body and head in its grip. Shivers! Sure, you fight back, but without the faithful wife at hand, ready to take up the pen, it's curtains!

As someone said, it is unfortunate that this mixing of humans and big cats leads to cats being killed indiscriminately. Maybe if California allowed hikers to carry a decent revolver in the open these scenarios would happen less often. Oh, ha, haa ha, ha, I opened a can of worms there. He he. California would never allow that!

stevebaby
01-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Heck...I might even shoot ya with your own gun:

“Clancy, of the Overflow”
I had written him a letter which I had, for want of better Knowledge/ sent to where I met him down the Lachlan, years ago/ He was shearing when I knew him, so I sent a letter to him,/Just on spec, addressed as follows, “Clancy, of the Overflow”/And an answer came directed in a writing unexpected,/ (And I think the same was written with a thumb-nail dipped in tar)/ Twas his shearing mate who wrote it, and verbatim I will quite it:/ “Clancy’s gone to Queensland droving, and we don’t know where he are.”
In my wild erratic fancy visions come to me of Clancy/ Gone a-droving “down the Cooper” where the Western drovers go;/ As the stock are slowly stringing, Clancy rides behind them singing,/ For the drover’s life has pleasures that the townsfolk never know.
And the bush hath friends to meet him, and their kindly voices greet him/ In the murmur of the breezes and the river on its bars,/ And he sees the vision splendid of the sunlit plains extended,/ And at night the wond’rous glory of the everlasting stars.
I am sitting in my dingy little office, where a stingy/ Ray of sunlight struggles feebly down between the houses tall,/ And the foetid air and gritty of the dusty, dirty city/ Through the open window floating, spreads its foulness over all
And in place of lowing cattle,/ I can hear the fiendish rattle/ Of the tramways and the buses making hurry down the street,/ And the language uninviting of the gutter children fighting, Comes fitfully and faintly through the ceaseless tramp of feet.
And the hurrying people daunt me, and their pallid faces haunt me/ As they shoulder one another in their rush and nervous haste,/ With their eager eyes and greedy, and their stunted forms and weedy,/ For townsfolk have no time to grow, they have no time to waste.
And I somehow rather fancy that I’d like to change with Clancy,/ Like to take a turn at droving where the seasons come and go./ While he faced the round eternal of the cash-book and the journal/ --But I doubt he’d suit the office, Clancy, of the Overflow.

...And Clancy of the Overflow came down to lend a hand,
No better horseman ever held the reins;
For never horse could throw him while the saddle-girths would stand,
he learnt to ride while droving on the plains.

And one was there,a stripling on a small and weedy beast,
He was something like a racehorse undersized,
With a touch of Timor pony - three parts thoroughbred at least -
And such as are by mountain horseman prized.
He was hard and tough and wiry - just the sort that won't say die -
There was courage in his quick impatient tread;
And he bore the badge of gameness in his bright and fiery eye,
And the proud and lofty carriage of his head.

But still so slight and weedy, one would doubt his power to stay,
And the old man said,'That horse will never do
'For a long and tiring gallop - lad, you'd better stay away
'Those hills are far too rough for such as you.'
So he waited sad and wistful - only Clancy stood his friend -
'I think we ought to let him come,' he said;
'I warrant he'll be with us when he's wanted at the end,
'For both his horse and he are mountain bred'

.....When they reached the mountain's summit, even Clancy took a pull,
It well might make make the boldest hold their breath,
The wild hop scrub grew thickly, and the hidden ground was full
Of wombat holes, and any slip was death.
But the man from Snowy River let the pony have his head,
And he swung his stockwhip round and gave a cheer,
And he raced him down the mountain like a torrent down its bed,
While the others stood and watched in very fear.

He sent the flintstones flying, but the pony kept his feet,
He cleared the fallen timber in his stride,
And the man from Snowy River never shifted in his seat -
It was grand to see that mountain horseman ride.
Through the stringybarks and saplings, on the rough and broken ground,
Down the hillside at a racing pace he went;
And he never drew the bridle till he landed safe and sound,
At the bottom of that terrible descent.
He was right among the horses as they climbed the further hill,
And the watchers on the mountain standing mute,
saw him ply the stockwhip fiercely, he was right among them still,
As he raced across the clearing in pursuit.
Then they lost him for a moment, where twu mountain gullies met
In the ranges, but a final glimpse reveals
On a dim and distant hillside the wild horses racing yet,
With the man from Snowy River at their heels.

And he ran them single-handed till their sides were white with foam.
He followed like a blood hound on their track,
Till they halted cowed and beaten, then he turned their heads for home,
And alone and unassisted brought them back.
But his hardy mountain pony he could scarcely raise a trot,
He was blood from hip to shoulder from the spur;
But his pluck was still undaunted, and his courage fiery hot,
For never yet was mountain horse a cur.

'The Man from Snowy River.'
A.B.'Banjo' Paterson

The wonder of it...a Yank who reads the Banjo!

boylesboats
01-27-2007, 12:51 AM
Sometime you have to fight dirty to survives

Phillip Allen
01-27-2007, 05:45 AM
what happened to Shane?

and Steve...I love Patterson...I love majestic poetry, poetry with a broad sweep...I wish I had more Patterson

paladin
01-27-2007, 09:21 AM
and I also love to read Banjo Patterson.....so there.......:D

Phillip Allen
01-27-2007, 09:25 AM
and I also love to read Banjo Patterson.....so there.......:D

Chuck, I'm not sure if you qualify as a Yank any more...been too many places and had too many adventures in other languages

S.V. Airlie
01-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Listened to an interview with the wife last night... Fiurstly, she wasn't young by a long shot having been married for close to 50 years.. Secondly, being only 5'4", she is a small tyke...
It was impressive what she did.... I wonder how many of us would have done the same with a pen.. A lot of us might but damn... she was a tiger.... Hats off...

Phillip Allen
01-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Wish I'd heard that interview...

Phillip Allen
01-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Thinking about what I would likely have done...hmmm...I might have looked for a club but if it wasn't lying right there, I'd have got my hands on the critter and threw him around (after "gently" removing his sharp things from my friend if I could)...bear in mind I've had a lifetime of heavy lifting...

S.V. Airlie
01-27-2007, 09:53 AM
Phillip.. she had a club.. or something close to it. She used it first to no avail.... went to the pen.. and then back to the club...

Phillip Allen
01-27-2007, 10:00 AM
it sounds like a prolonged struggle...I suspect my added weight and strength might have made a difference but might simply have gotten me under the critter...never know