PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Compound

Jim Surdyke
07-11-2001, 01:02 AM
I am about to start reinstalling all of my deck hardware. The majority of the stanchions, cleats, fairleads etc. are mounted on teak, but some will be mounted on Sitka Spruce (masts), honduran mahogany (cabins), and long leaf yellow pine (hull). I am considering using white lead bedding compound from George Kirby Jr. Paint Company. Does anybody have any comments about this product or recommendations for an alternative? Thanks.

Classic Boatworks - Maine
07-11-2001, 06:04 AM
That is about the best bedding compound you can get these days.

Scott Rosen
07-11-2001, 08:13 AM
I've used Kirby's white lead for bedding hardware, and it works great. However, it has some different qualities from the basic linseed oil based compound. The white lead tends to get a little harder and is less flexible. It also forms a moderately strong bond with paint. So, if you are bedding hardware on a painted surface, you may find that when you remove the hardware some of the paint will come off with it. But in any event, it's still much better than the modern goops like 5200 in that regard.

Jeff Kelety
07-11-2001, 08:19 AM
Dolphinite (sp?) seems to do a pretty good job.

jgk

jimnmad
07-12-2001, 12:30 AM
Can Dolphinite be painted?

Bob Cleek
07-12-2001, 02:18 PM
Sure, paint will stick to Dolphinite, once it has hardened some. (Paint thinner will wash it off.) BUT, if you are using it for bedding compound, which is its only use, how would you ever have occasion to paint it? Duh-oh....